PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for sealant on wheels (read; not tires)

Pages : [1] 2

nsx-r
06-12-2013, 01:57 PM
I'd like some opinions on some products and recommendations on sealants after cleaning wheels.

I have a pair of aftermarket wheels that are aluminum and I'd also like to clean up my factory wheels as well.

What are some products that you guys on AGO use for both aluminum and regular wheels?

I've read around and seen that WG, Collinite, and Optiseal are popular choices.

Also, would you recommend a coat of wax after the sealant?

Omega_2nr
06-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Have you considered Opti-Coat 2.0?

Rsurfer
06-12-2013, 03:44 PM
The 2 most durable wheel sealants imo are Opti Coat and GTechniq Wheel Armor (C5).

nsx-r
06-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Have you considered Opti-Coat 2.0?

I haven't purchased any product yet, but I've been doing my research, this seems like a hot pick!

The 2 most durable wheel sealants imo are Opti Coat and GTechniq Wheel Armor (C5).

Thanks! I wanted something durable with a nice finish.

Do you guys put a coat of wax on after the sealant on the wheels as well?

Omega_2nr
06-12-2013, 07:21 PM
After opti-coat (or something similar), I'd highly doubt that adding a wax would make any appreciable difference in appearance.

I say that assuming that most wheels have few large/flat surfaces where visual impact of a wax vs sealant might be evident.

Furthermore, I'm not sure how a wax might hold up to higher heat conditions on wheels. Something durable, polymer-based would fit the bill - skip the wax IMHO.

KillaCam
06-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Collinite or opti coat would be good for normal wheels.

I like Collinite's metal wax for my polished aluminum wheels, very durable and shines well.

ScottB
06-12-2013, 08:03 PM
G-Technic Wheel Armor worked well on my uncoated Iforged Wheels. The barrels look great also.

nsx-r
06-13-2013, 03:05 AM
After opti-coat (or something similar), I'd highly doubt that adding a wax would make any appreciable difference in appearance.

I say that assuming that most wheels have few large/flat surfaces where visual impact of a wax vs sealant might be evident.

Furthermore, I'm not sure how a wax might hold up to higher heat conditions on wheels. Something durable, polymer-based would fit the bill - skip the wax IMHO.

I'll keep this in mind for my DD.

Collinite or opti coat would be good for normal wheels.

I like Collinite's metal wax for my polished aluminum wheels, very durable and shines well.

G-Technic Wheel Armor worked well on my uncoated Iforged Wheels. The barrels look great also.

I'll pick these two products up and test them to see which I'd prefer. Thanks guys!

scrubs147
06-13-2013, 03:47 AM
Aluma Glow

02CAMSS
06-13-2013, 05:01 AM
I use poorboy's wheel sealant ...I really like it and it keeps the wheels looking great, easy on and easy off... I have used this stuff for years and all my wheels look like new..

Shortspark
06-13-2013, 05:51 AM
After every second or third car wash I usually "top" my paint with DG AquaWax, a spray sealant that adds great gloss and some added protection. I have also tried it on the wheels and it has done a very good job. Make sure wheels are clean as can be, spray them lightly with AW and dry with microfiber towel with a sense of rubbing it into the wheel rather than trying to remove it from the wheel, if you know what I mean.

Use AW on your glass too because it even beads your windshield as well as any rainX or dedicated glass cleaner. It is a very versatile "topping off" product and saves having to buy several different things for different applications. Except for your tire dressing, you can go around your car with AW and just about put the entire finishing touch on it with this one product. I think most people who have tried AW (even just for wheels), will highly recommend it.

GenesisCoupe
06-13-2013, 06:10 AM
I use poorboy's wheel sealant ...I really like it and it keeps the wheels looking great, easy on and easy off... I have used this stuff for years and all my wheels look like new..

I was also going to say Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. I have it and a little goes a long way when it comes to application. MY customers have been really happy with their wheels staying clean for longer than before. It adds a small shine to the wheels. I have used this product on both aluminium and alloy wheels with great results.

jjj
06-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Coly 845. Works, lasts and good price, do your car and wheels for one price and product. Easy on and off. Put on thin.

yakky
06-13-2013, 07:51 AM
DG501. Wheels build up so much crap they need a strong cleaner.

nsx-r
06-13-2013, 08:35 AM
After every second or third car wash I usually "top" my paint with DG AquaWax, a spray sealant that adds great gloss and some added protection. I have also tried it on the wheels and it has done a very good job. Make sure wheels are clean as can be, spray them lightly with AW and dry with microfiber towel with a sense of rubbing it into the wheel rather than trying to remove it from the wheel, if you know what I mean.

Use AW on your glass too because it even beads your windshield as well as any rainX or dedicated glass cleaner. It is a very versatile "topping off" product and saves having to buy several different things for different applications. Except for your tire dressing, you can go around your car with AW and just about put the entire finishing touch on it with this one product. I think most people who have tried AW (even just for wheels), will highly recommend it.

Does this work with exhaust tips as well?

I was also going to say Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. I have it and a little goes a long way when it comes to application. MY customers have been really happy with their wheels staying clean for longer than before. It adds a small shine to the wheels. I have used this product on both aluminium and alloy wheels with great results.

Coly 845. Works, lasts and good price, do your car and wheels for one price and product. Easy on and off. Put on thin.

DG501. Wheels build up so much crap they need a strong cleaner.

Thanks guys! A little goes a long way in protecting your investments :xyxthumbs: