PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Pounce!

ricka
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Hello All!

It's been informative and a pleasure perusing the different forums. So glad I did to prevent needless and costly naive mistakes.

Okay, so I'm in whole hog. Proud poppa of a '07 Audi A6 Silver Quattro. Bought some MF towels, DP Wheel Glaze and DP 4-1. Now I'm looking at a clay, polish, sealant, and wax. Read where the Liquid Souvern is good for silver. Not sure about the polish or sealant.

Also, not quite confident about a PC, so it'll be by hand for a while. I could sure use some learned advice. I love the car and want to make her smile.

Thanks again in advance.

Best regards,

Rick

Gary Sword
05-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Hello All!

It's been informative and a pleasure perusing the different forums. So glad I did to prevent needless and costly naive mistakes.

Okay, so I'm in whole hog. Proud poppa of a '07 Audi A6 Silver Quattro. Bought some MF towels, DP Wheel Glaze and DP 4-1. Now I'm looking at a clay, polish, sealant, and wax. Read where the Liquid Souvern is good for silver. Not sure about the polish or sealant.
Also, not quite confident about a PC, so it'll be by hand for a while. I could sure use some learned advice. I love the car and want to make her smile.

Thanks again in advance.

Best regards,

Rick

Rick, If you don't at least have a PC I would not waste my time and money with a polish. The results would be minimal if any. Using a PC is easy if it's in you budget to get one. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is my favorite but there are some other good ones. Liquid Souveran is also one of my favorites and does look very good on silver. Liquid Souveran over Wolfgang DGPS is a very nice combination. In my opinion the different brands of clay are all about the same but there are different grades of courseness. Some brands only comes in one grade of courseness. The best grade/brand to use depends on how bad the contaminates are on your paint.

ricka
05-30-2007, 04:18 PM
So, going wash, clay, sealant and wax should do the trick for now? Car is only 3 months old and is garaged.

Thanks again.

Grimm
05-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Sounds like a good plan! Unless the dealership really went to town with a scrub brush or something your car should have minimal swirls right now. That will give you time to read up some more on what polishes to get and how to use a PC, or even the UDM once it's here. The PC is very easy to use. You would have to be a Tim Taylor to even have a chance ruining your car with it.

ricka
05-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks much.

Anyone use the Polishing Pal with the clay disk to clay? It seems easier--but then again I'm a sucker for new toys. Also, is the Pinnacle Ultra clay the best for new cars?

Truls
05-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Ahhhh man you got to get DuraGloss 101 on that silver. Done two silver cars with that and both owner freaked out when the saw how slick and glossy they got.

DG 101 + Pinnacle LS ROCKS

Pinnacle poly clay is great on new cars.

The pal with a clay disc aint my street, i like to hold the clay in my hand to "feel" the paint.
BUT to use the pal when applying DG 101 or Pinnacle LS is another story, that works great imo.

ricka
05-31-2007, 07:12 AM
Regarding Duragloss or Wolfgang; both need to cure 12 hours before applying wax?

Al-53
05-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Regarding Duragloss or Wolfgang; both need to cure 12 hours before applying wax?

yes...most sealants require a curing period of 12-24 hours....the more humid it is the longer I would wait..24 hrs max.....

AL

ricka
05-31-2007, 07:59 AM
So, on a new silver car; Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or Duragloss 101?

Al-53
05-31-2007, 08:09 AM
I like DG 101 or 105 on silver....actually 105x2 on silver is real nice....but they will all work....Wolfgang...Duragloss 101 or 105....

105 is the best bang for the buck...16oz for 9.99....

AL

Grimm
05-31-2007, 11:23 AM
ricka, I would advise against using that device for claying. You don't really need very much clay when doing it, so the best way is to cut the bar into thirds. That way it's easier to kneed, and if you drop it on the ground you still have a couple pieces left to use.

ricka
05-31-2007, 11:38 AM
I won't use the Pal to clay per advice--promise. As I look thru the site everyone seems to like the Collinite wax as the more durable than Liquid Souveran. Since its a silver car, does it matter? Will probably go with Ultra Poly Clay, #105 then the wax...

Oh, one other question; when claying what directions do you go on the hood, roof, trunk and doors?

Thanks again in advance.

MadOzodi
05-31-2007, 12:00 PM
I used the polishing pal to clay my car. It kept me from dropping it on the ground. Whenever I had to put it down, I just plopped it in my wash basin. If I didn't have my polishing pal, my fingers and hands and arms would be really sore. I'd say it's all just a matter of preference, but I'm a brand new polishing pal user. It's also nice to wrap a MF towel around the pal when it has a foam pad on it.