PDA

View Full Version : Claying and dust in garage

manman
06-11-2013, 04:29 PM
So from what I've read, you area not supposed to do your claying outside, for what seems like obvious reasons. But I've also noticed that when sitting in my garage even for like a day or two, my car gets a fine layer of dust on it. I don't think it's anything unusual, it's pretty light.

I was thinking about claying my car in sections over a few days though since I'm new to it and I want to take my time. Will the dust be a problem in that case, or would it be fine to just clean it up with a little quick detailer/plush microfiber and just continue where I left off (as opposed to having to do a whole new wash in between).

Thanks, i'm very new to all of this stuff, so please bear with me if this seems like a dumb question...

PokeFan
06-11-2013, 04:35 PM
As long as the surface is clean and it truly is only dust you'll be fine cleaning it up with a QD first. Just make sure it really is clean, you don't want the clay to work harder than it has too or chance dragging crap across the paint. You'll be fine as long as you take your time, pay attention to your paint and knead often.

swanicyouth
06-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Just wipe it off section by section as you work with whatever your using for clay lube. Of course, the car must have been previously washed. This is another good use for a product like UWW+.

manman
06-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. And yeah, this would be after a wash first. I was going to wash, start the claybar, and then potentially let it sit overnight and finish they claying in the morning. It probably wouldn't take any more than overnight but I just wanted to make sure. When I have more experience I'll probably do it all at once, but I have a maniac 1 and 3 year old running around, so I don't get large blocks of free time haha.

Will look into UWW+. Right now I have a bottle of ONR, and some quick detailer that came in the Meguiar's clay kit that I bought.

rmagnus
06-11-2013, 06:52 PM
So from what I've read, you area not supposed to do your claying outside, for what seems like obvious reasons. But I've also noticed that when sitting in my garage even for like a day or two, my car gets a fine layer of dust on it. I don't think it's anything unusual, it's pretty light.

I was thinking about claying my car in sections over a few days though since I'm new to it and I want to take my time. Will the dust be a problem in that case, or would it be fine to just clean it up with a little quick detailer/plush microfiber and just continue where I left off (as opposed to having to do a whole new wash in between).

Thanks, i'm very new to all of this stuff, so please bear with me if this seems like a dumb question...
All the advise is sound so far. I almost always clay outside. Same advise applies. If its real sunny or hot I'll do it in sections. Ez Ups are great for shade outside or work in the morning. Lots of options for outside work.

BillE
06-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Claying is not all that time consuming. As (you say-a newbie), I'd say maybe an hour or two at best.

It REALLY is an easy step.

Good luck...

Bill

inDetail
06-12-2013, 08:34 AM
I was never a clay inside only believer. You are using so much lube to clay that anything sitting on the surface just gets loosened by the lube. It's not gonna work on a tree branch but most of the time you will be polishing afterwards and I never put damage into paint claying outside.