PDA

View Full Version : Novice Looking for Advice

bstrong04
06-11-2013, 10:57 AM
I just purchased a used Tahoe and need help finding the correct products to keep her looking great for many years to come. I have decided it's time to get away from using car washes. Sure they are convenient but yesterday the best one in town had an equipment malfunction and scratched a brand new Infinity. No thank you!

I found this site and decided to do the research so I could start taking care of my truck personally. There is a ton of information so I need help getting started.

I recently ordered the Pinnacle Interior Kit to clean and condition my leather interior but now I need help with the rest. I don't want to drop $1,000 right out of the gate so I come to ya'll for advice. I created a preliminary list of what I think I need and would appreciate comments and suggestions.

I drive a Black Tahoe LTZ

Wash
Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner
Pinnacle Microfiber Detailing Mitt
Foamaster Foam Cleaning Gun
DP Xtreme Foam Formula (shampoo)
The Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel

Clay
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Special (http://www.autogeek.net/piulpoclkit.html) - PIN-510K
Microfiber Towel

Glass
Detailer’s Pro Series Krystal Vision Glass Cleaner
The Waffle Weave Glass Towel

Sealant
Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz
Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
Microfiber Pads

Misc
Pinnacle Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad
The Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel

swanicyouth
06-11-2013, 11:15 AM
I just purchased a used Tahoe and need help finding the correct products to keep her looking great for many years to come. I have decided it's time to get away from using car washes. Sure they are convenient but yesterday the best one in town had an equipment malfunction and scratched a brand new Infinity. No thank you!

I found this site and decided to do the research so I could start taking care of my truck personally. There is a ton of information so I need help getting started.

I recently ordered the Pinnacle Interior Kit to clean and condition my leather interior but now I need help with the rest. I don't want to drop $1,000 right out of the gate so I come to ya'll for advice. I created a preliminary list of what I think I need and would appreciate comments and suggestions.

I drive a Black Tahoe LTZ

Wash

Clay
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Special (http://www.autogeek.net/piulpoclkit.html) - PIN-510K
Microfiber Towel

Glass

Sealant
Microfiber Pads

Misc

-If you plan on washing somewhat on a routine basis, skip the WG tire and wheel cleaner. I hear its good, but you can get wheel cleaner made by Chemical Guys that's concentrated. You can make 4-6x as much for the price of one bottle or gallon.

- Same thing with shampoo. You get beat Chemical Guys shampoos. Many of them are very concentrated (1oz / gallon) so you get a lot more uses out of a bottle. I think CG Honeydew or MaxiSuds II is better than the DP shampoo for foam.

- Don't forget grit guards and 5 gallon buckets. You may want to look into waterless or rinseless washes as well

- also you will need tools to clean your wheels. Skip the bargain stuff. Get a Daytona Speed Master Brush (at least the big one) and the Montana Boars Hair Wheel Brush. A round BH paint brush style brush is very useful as well for a lot of things.

swanicyouth
06-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Almost forgot. The best investment you can make is getting a pressure washer. Pressure rinsing will remove much more initial dirt than a hose, you want to knock off as much dirt as possible before touching the car.

You don't need a super high dollar one. An entry level electric works fine. A has one for home car washing is overkill IMO for the weekend detailer.

mwoolfso
06-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Wash

1- Get Meguiars APC+, it is a multi-use product and with the varying dilution ratios you can use it on wheels, interior trim/dash and on fabrics. Add 2-3 spray bottles and you will be good to go.
2- Start off with 2 drying towels

Clay
Microfiber Towel

1- Ultra poly clay may be less aggressive than what you need based on what I have read Mothers, Meguiars and Wolfgang are in my inventory.
2- You will need a few towels; something like Cobra 530's would be fine.
3- You will need clay lube; another multi-use product that would be great here is Optimum No Rinse (ONR). That said, you can get a Mothers or Meguiars Clay Bar Kit, which would provide clay and lube in the same packaging.

Glass

I would start off with Invisible Glass spray can; not plastic bottle. Trust me. After awhile, if you want, you can move down to Meguiars Glass Cleaner; which is more affordable.

Sealant

Microfiber Pads

1. This is not a great mix but OK. You are missing paint cleaning where you can get a pre-wax cleaner or AIO-type product. You would apply one of those first, and then apply your Klasse sealant. I almost always see people using the Klasse twins which has the AIO cleaner and the Sealant bottles.

Misc

Good luck!

bstrong04
06-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Thank you both for offering up your suggestions. Would the foam cleaning gun work with both CG's and Meguiars shampoo's or should I ditch the gun and go with buckets?