PDA

View Full Version : Semi-urgent question dealing with convertible top...

Blamettu
06-11-2013, 09:33 AM
I have a new client scheduled for this Friday and she is the owner of a 2004 Mustang Convertible. She approached me while washing an existing client's car so I'll preface by saying that I did not have an opportunity to visually inspect the convertible top on her Pony Car. The owner claims that there are "swirly marks" on the convertible top. Needless to say, I'm perplexed. What is the best method to clean this cloth top? The tools at my disposal:

1. Pressure washer
2. soft bristle interior brush (from AG)
3. OPC
4. Megs APC (ordered and should be in before this appointment)
5. Duragloss 901 (ordered and should be in before this appointment)
6. Dupray Steam Cleaner (220-volt model)
7. 303 FVC
8. Folex
9. 6.5 HP Rigid Wet/Dry Vac
10. P21S Total Auto Wash
11. The determination of this guy --->:buffing:

top189h
06-11-2013, 10:46 AM
I did one on a buddy's eclipse, he always went to brushless car washes and from what I could tell, the swirls were areas that were just extremely dirty. I used apc+ at 10:1 and a soft tire style brush and tooth brushes for tight areas. I wouldnt rinse it too hard with a pressure washer tho. His top was cloth and rather worn so I wanted to be delicate. It took 5 passes or so to get it clean. Afterwards I just put a layer of convertable top protectant on and it looked good. Hope it was a help.

AeroCleanse
06-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Just using a good car wash shampoo should clean it.

swanicyouth
06-11-2013, 12:13 PM
I there are stains, I would try Folex. It works awesome at removing stains out of every other textile, why not tops? Of course RaggTop & 303 make specific products, but I've had so much good luck with Folex removing stains I would try that first.

Of course, test on a small area, rinse well, and apply a protectant afterwards. AG should start selling Folex, as so many of us use it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/12/y3aqanyq.jpg

I wouldn't worry about Folex messing up the top or something either. I've used it on some delicate stuff and its fine.