PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna v Meguiars

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

kevincwelch
06-11-2013, 09:29 AM
I've been debating these two types of polishes. I have a new car without too many swirls and a couple of hard-to-see RIDS. My other car is a grey Subaru Outback. It's hard to see swirls (I think because of the color??) and quite a few scratches. This car has been machine washed since day one and probably needs a lot of work.

I'm not very compelled to get every scratch perfect on the Subaru because I have no intention of sanding. On the other hand, I want the Tesla near perfect.

So, I'm looking at a work horse polish combination. I could get both, but since I'm just myself doing my family cars, I don't have a need for a variety of polishes.

Either http://www.autogeekmobile.net/menzerna-intro-kit.html or Megs m105/205. The Megs sound like it might be for more serious defects. I was leaning toward the Menzerna.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Sent via Tapatalk.

hernandez.art13
06-11-2013, 09:47 AM
I have only used the Menzerna Power Lock (which I got it for it's durability)

This is just my opinion:

When it comes to polishes it's just liquid sand paper. Per Se

So if it's just DD then go with the Meg's combo,

I got to try the 105 and I it felt and worked really nice. Compared to the 3M stuff I am used to. (Smelled nice too)

I have the poor boys medium and light swirl removal so I'll stick with those until I run out and then switch to the 205 (I imagine it's just as good as the 105)

However when it comes to sealants then invest in some Menzerna IMO

The 105/205 are just to remove swirls on you DD.

Skill and Technique is more important than product.

All this is just my opinion.

Good luck!

(Pictures)

jimjc
06-11-2013, 09:58 AM
I have Meguiars 205 I use on our 2 new cars. Meguiars 205 lets you polish until it gets to the level you need, they have a longer work time, many other polishes their particles diminish and only last so long before you have to reapply more polish to the da. The Meguiars 105 compound and the 205 polish makes a great combo IMO and there`s a lot of people that love these

Menzurna products are great also I use their Power lock that`s a sealer. They have polishes for all levels of finish you will need to determine how serious your scratches are and use the appropriate compound/polish you need. Some here may chime in on these products I won`t because I don`t use their polishes. Menzurna has a abrasive list for their polish on this forum I believe it`s on the Menzurna products in the store here.

BradsDetailing
06-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Sub'd

Reading contrasting statements about these two

kevincwelch
06-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Reading up on the line of Menzerna polishes is helpful.

I guess I have two different cars with two different needs and I want a easy solution. I guess that's why I should take my cars to a pro to decide!

It would seem to me that the Megs combo would be better for the Subaru in my case and the menzerna for the lighter work required by my Tesla.

I have the griots 1-4 line, and this may be fine, but I don't read about too many people talking about those polishes here. Mostly Megs and Menzerna.

Sent via Tapatalk.

nezff
06-11-2013, 10:25 AM
I just used the Menzerna SI 1500 and SF4500 on my 2013 F150. You can see pics here right before the power lock was applied:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/62240-new-truck-deatailing-questions-4.html#post888761

TundraPower
06-11-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm sure I'll get lambasted for this, but comparing Megs to Menzerna is like comparing a Pinto to a Porsche. Get yourself some Menzerna Power Finish 2500 and be done with it.

Dr_Pain
06-11-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm sure I'll get lambasted for this, but comparing Megs to Menzerna is like comparing a Pinto to a Porsche. Get yourself some Menzerna Power Finish 2500 and be done with it.

:iagree: No lambasting here :dblthumb2:. I actually wrote a review on the PF2500.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/60584-review-menzerna-pf2500.html

In contrast, I've used the Megs products and have been satisfied but since using PF2500.... I haven't looked back.

hernandez.art13
06-11-2013, 10:49 AM
I went from 3M to Meg's

I wonder if 3M is like a horse that you ride.

"3M the Caveman Line" hahaha

No lambasting here as well.

Especially since I have never used the Menzerna polishes. But

3M, Meg's, Menzerna can all get the job done. IMO

FUNX650
06-11-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm just myself doing my family cars, I don't have a need for a variety of polishes.

IMO...
You really don't know if this is true unless, or until, you have performed:
The "Test Spots" on the vehicles.

-It is nice if you can limit yourself to just one brand's line-up of products, though.

-I've found that Meguiar's UC and 205 will take care of the majority of the paint blemishes
on my vehicles...With an occasional spot-buff here and there with 105.
Something about SMAT-abrasives, coupled with a DA, that is very likable for me.

-I've also found that Menzerna's polishes are also very capable in defect removal.
Also...Only one thing on par with Menz 4500, and that is 3M Ultrafina...
especially when used for jeweling/freedom-from-buffer-trails.
(Too bad I don't find "the need" to use a rotary too much, any more, on my vehicles.)

Either way:
Can't wrong with Meguiar's, Menzerna, or both.

:)

Bob

kevincwelch
06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Bob,

Good points. Thanks.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-11-2013, 01:35 PM
I started off with UC/M205 and then the UC/UP. While these work great I wanted a bit more and then tried out the M105/M205. This system works great however M105 has its quirks. Dries really fast, gums up, dusts like crazy etc. You really need a lot of seat time with it to adapt to its quirks.

I grew tired of the issues with M105 and wanted to try something totally different. Being a German product nut I wanted to get my hands on Menzerna's new FG400 when it came out. Since using FG400 there is no issues with it like M105. It flat out works and really well at that.

Since jumping onto the Menzerna bandwagon I couldn't be happier and found my calling with their products.

Now I just need to get some of that Sonax Perfect finish for my finicky black BMW paint....

hernandez.art13
06-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Does anybody know what dries faster the 3M compound or Meguiar's? for the headlight restoration I did. I had zero drying issues, so made me wonder why other fellow detailer's have so many drying issues?

Because I felt 3M dries faster but not exactly sure because I only used Meg's for 2 headlights, opposed to 3M that I used on whole cars.

However I have to still test it out on CC.
To see if there's a difference, but I imagine it the same headlight/CC?

Menzerna sounds like it is the big boy stuff (I want it) lol, well when I run out of my Meg's 105, I bought a big ol' bottle lol

Evan.J
06-11-2013, 03:30 PM
I started off with UC/M205 and then the UC/UP. While these work great I wanted a bit more and then tried out the M105/M205. This system works great however M105 has its quirks. Dries really fast, gums up, dusts like crazy etc. You really need a lot of seat time with it to adapt to its quirks.

I grew tired of the issues with M105 and wanted to try something totally different. Being a German product nut I wanted to get my hands on Menzerna's new FG400 when it came out. Since using FG400 there is no issues with it like M105. It flat out works and really well at that.

Since jumping onto the Menzerna bandwagon I couldn't be happier and found my calling with their products.

Now I just need to get some of that Sonax Perfect finish for my finicky black BMW paint....

You a German product nut? No what ever gave that away? :)

Lets see I have the M105/205 Combo and I usually go to that for my defect removal and have recently picked up 2 bottles of M101 and its great.

That being said I have 2500 4000 4500 and PO85RD and I must say Menz makes some great products. I have found my self using PF2500 as my new AIO. The polishes finish down so well and add great depth and gloss its sickening (in a good way). In all honestly I have sent that M105 will give most new people to the product a little bit of frustration when you go to use it. Just like Mike said it dries fast. dusts and builds up fast on the pad.

I would say Menz would be the one to go with, but that my opinion.

Hope that helps!

ShineTimeDetail
06-11-2013, 03:45 PM
I love Menzerna!! Meguiars is nice too. I like there 101...