PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration

Pages : [1] 2

DogRescuer
06-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Mike my name is Steve and I have always wondered about your leg but was always leary to mention it. I just read a post about your previous job, and in that post you used a word that has been on my mind for a while now. You said you were disabled, well yes of course I see you and your injury all the time on the website but I would never aproach it until now. Let me say you are an inspiration to those of us with physical limitations. I have been disabled now for some time due to a brain injury that makes me "appear" drunk but Im not. I picked up detailing as a hobbie and have ran with it ever since. Yes I am on disability and I feel I am fortunate, but I am pursuing detailing for some pocket change. Well I could go on for hours and I know youre busy, thanks for liistening. Maybe I can explain my obstacles to you one day, Im sure you will give some EXCELLENT ADVICE.

DogRescuer
06-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Im sorry I should have said that any other comments are welcome.

Mike Phillips
06-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Mike my name is Steve and I have always wondered about your leg but was always leary to mention it.

I never mind if anyone wants to ask me questions about my artificial leg or how I've overcome my disability to move forward in life. A couple of guys have asked on the forum and I've always replied in a courteous and professional manner.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=red]I just read a post about your previous job, and in that post you used a word that has been on my mind for a while now. You said you were disabled, well yes of course I see you and your injury all the time on the website but I would never approach it until now. Let me say you are an inspiration to those of us with physical limitations. I have been disabled now for some time due to a brain injury that makes me "appear" drunk but Im not.

Brain injuries are just as serious as any other type of physical injury but the problem is because it's not visible, the outside world doesn't understand and too often the person with the hidden injury doesn't get the respect or perhaps a better terms are compassion and empathy that the person needs.

I picked up detailing as a hobby and have ran with it ever since. Yes I am on disability and I feel I am fortunate, but I am pursuing detailing for some pocket change. Well I could go on for hours and I know you're busy, thanks for listening. Maybe I can explain my obstacles to you one day, Im sure you will give some EXCELLENT ADVICE.

Detailing is an excellent hobby in that it can provide a release from the hectic world we live in plus it gives the person doing the detailing a great sense of pride to take a diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone. Not to mention you can make some money from your efforts.

Thank you very much for your kind words and taking the time to create this thread. I've never let the fact that I'm missing my right leg from below the knee slow me down or stop me from pursuing a goal.

I try to encourage everyone I meet to be the same way. After the Boston bombings I contacted three hospitals and volunteered to visit any and all of the people that lost limbs to share my story and to show them what an artificial leg looks like and how with a little work they can get around on one without any problems. All I got was the bureaucratic run-around so alas, Ive been unable to help.

Again, thank you for kind words, posts like these are alway heart warming and appreciated.

:)

DogRescuer
06-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks for your response Mike, keep up the good work.

zmanjohn
06-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Steve,
Nice post, I do not have any disabilities myself, but I have worked with and around many people that have been. I also grew up just down the street from a friend that was born with 1/2 an arm. Most of those guys were a huge inspiration to me as they were disabled, but could do as much as an able body like myself if not more. So it takes your excuses away.
One of my very best friends was not able to hold a job, but could not get disability for one reason or another. He almost lost his house and family, but they all stuck by him. The church helped when and how they could. He finally went for brain surgery to fix his issue. This was after many years of driving back and forth to the Cleveland Clinic which was a couple of hours from his home. He is now much better, but has also had to battle cancer along with some other health issues. He now holds a full time job at the local school. But he is one of the most talented photographers I have seen. He just needs someone to find him.
Sorry this had to happen to you, but sometimes do you look back and know or understand that somehow God had a plan and it makes you a much stronger or better person?

As far as Mike, just with his talent and ability to teach what he knows and years or experience, I think I can say for many of us out here on AGO, he is a huge inspiration.

This is one of the best forum's by far and thanks to all for all the kind words and guidance. You don't find any if many places out there.

Thanks for all you do, its appreciated.

Bill

Klasse Act
06-12-2013, 04:40 PM
OP, glad to have you on the forum here!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

theclock12
06-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Great post, love this site and the support it gives, goodluck Steve with your detailing future, a hobby might turn commercial just as mine did

sproketser
06-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Both of you guys are some inspirations , I m not disabled but your courage would / must help other people around getting true hard times whatever their are .

Keep it on mates !

DogRescuer
06-13-2013, 06:07 AM
Thanks for all your support.

Mike Phillips
06-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Here's a guy that should inspire all of us... I know he inspires me...

From this detailing boot camp class...

Pictures & Comments from January 30th Detailing 102 Class (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-sunday-detailing-102-advanced-class/32317-pictures-comments-january-30th-detailing-102-class.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1035/Jan29101ClassF088.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1036/Jan30Class0064_.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1036/Jan30Class0065_.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1036/Jan30Class0074_.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1036/Jan30Class0088_.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1036/Jan30Class0101.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1036/Jan30Class0102.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1036/Jan30Class0123.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1036/Jan30Class0153.jpg

The above are just some of the pictures from that class over two years ago. Click the link to the thread and you'll see that not only are my classes fun but you get to learn a lot and meet a lot of really nice people.

:dblthumb2:

DogRescuer
06-13-2013, 07:03 AM
awesome

tuscarora dave
06-13-2013, 08:35 AM
About 2 months ago my father was concerned about some severe pain in his right foot, thinking it was a gout attack he began taking NSAID pain relievers. A few days later as the pain worsened he noticed that his right foot was stone cold while the left foot was quite warm. As it turned out, every artery in his right leg was completely clotted full with blood clots from about mid thigh all the way to his toes.

He spent a few weeks at the Ortenzio Heart Center here in Camp Hill PA where he underwent a series of catheters and needle work procedures combined with a clot buster drip in the ICU to break up and remove these blood clots to attempt to bring circulation back to his foot. Dad is a pretty able bodied 73 year old besides of this blood clotting issue that has left him with a foot the size of a football some days combined with completely black toes.

He's been home for a month now where the condition went from bad to worse then to Gangrene. The podiatrist wasn't yet convinced that a trans-metatarsal amputation was necessary as was recommended by his surgeon, so he changed the treatment 2 weeks ago and will re-evaluate the foot tomorrow. I am pretty much the only one Dad has that's able to handle (so far) all the logistics of this situation, dealing with all the surgeons, doctors, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, podiatrists, pharmacies etc., picking up all the chores that Dad used to do plus cooking for him while making sure the food ingredients don't interact with the blood thinners, setting up all the daily meds and making sure he's not taking his bedtime meds in the morning etc., running him to all the appointments etc.

All the while, still running Tuscarora Dave's Auto Detailing, serving both the custom detailing industry and the wheelchair accessible vehicle industry... :doh::confused::cry::surrender: There's just not enough emoticons....

I watch my father each day going way above and beyond the call of duty in his physical therapy duties, not realizing he may be over doing some things and not considering his ability to perform his survival duties the rest of the day such as making it to the bathroom or getting a drink of water, or just grabbing a pack of Grahm crackers to snack on etc. All these simple things we just take for granted are suddenly brightly illuminated to me, and are real obstacles for my father who is finding a way to make it over any hurdles to get these things done for himself.

He says he doesn't want to be a burden to me, and that I am doing so much for him that I am not getting my own work done. Maybe this is true because obviously I have had to push a lot of work onto the back burner, deciding which jobs are most important and just focus on getting them done so that I have time to be here to help my father with his needs. His pain level goes from a 9-10 down to a 3-4 after taking his pain meds, and then back up the scale it goes after therapy or soaking his foot on his Epsom salts preparation (that he is preparing on his own so long as I empty the container when he's done) so his becoming addicted to the pain meds is a whole other concern that weighs on my mind.

He's been so courageous and hard working through all of this. It is certainly inspiring to watch him doing his thing. I am naturally hard on myself and easy on others, so when he says things like "Dave, I wish your sister and anyone else could really see all the things you do on a daily basis." I just take a deep breath as I acknowledge his comment and push forward to the next task. This is hard on his pride for sure, and my own pride...most of the times prevents me from asking for help so I try to take all this extra stuff on by just sucking it up and getting it done.

Truth is, I am so far behind in so many areas that I have just stopped thinking about these areas so much and have just gotten into a mode of doing the really important stuff as it comes, and saying no to the almost constant barrage of phone calls, texts, emails and PMs, or at least keeping my replies short and sweet anyway.

This is not about me... It is about inspiration as the title of the thread suggests. I am inspired by my father and all that he's doing to work through his current situation, he's inspired by all the things that he sees me doing here at the house to help him and maintain the business end of Tuscarora Dave's, while he doesn't see what I do up at the shop, he knows it's challenging as he sees me drag myself back home each night to finish up the everyday household chores.

I am inspired by the OP of this thread for pushing on with learning the ropes of detailing, which I think we all know is hard work without having disabilities. Of course I am and have been for years, thoroughly inspired by Mike Phillips in so many different areas. It's all relevant... It all helps all of us to overcome our daily hardships, if we just look around with opened eyes and think about a little more than just ourselves.

I hope none of you think this post is about me wearing my problems on my sleeve, or me complaining about things being tough, because that's not what it is. If that were the case, I'd have been posting about this stuff 2 months ago. There will always be a few folks who will think things like that, (and may you stick around and grow with us all) so I'll take the good with the bad.

My main reason for writing all of this was simply to contribute to a great thread about inspiration and hopefully help inspire a lurker who may be struggling quietly behind his/her keyboard.

Have a wonderful day!! TD

Becciasm
06-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Have a wonderful day!! TD

Indeed. Thanks for sharing sir!

hernandez.art13
06-13-2013, 08:56 AM
When something happens to my car. I just say "Dang it"

I then just look at my family, smile and go on with my day.

(Except bird poo) :P

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/F80E4855-B9C4-49E0-82A5-AE439EEE76BF-697-000000749E28AB89_zpsc1c54de8.jpg

tuscarora dave
06-13-2013, 09:16 AM
When something happens to my car. I just say "Dang it"

I then just look at my family, smile and go on with my day.

(Except bird poo) :P

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/F80E4855-B9C4-49E0-82A5-AE439EEE76BF-697-000000749E28AB89_zpsc1c54de8.jpg

That's it right there. Being that positive guy in a crowd of negativity is absolutely a choice, and after lots of practice being that guy, it just becomes an attractive way of life!!

:dblthumb2: