PDA

View Full Version : Glaze, wax, sealant 69 chevelle

Dante7
06-10-2013, 11:25 PM
So confused on what to use first time doing a true detail beside just waxing. Ordered a griots Da polisher to correct the paint on my 69 chevelle. I am just finishing up the polishing and now completely lost on why to do. I still have a few fine scratches I can not remove I would like to hide as best as possible but also want the deep wet looking shine. I am not sure of I should use my meguiars glaze 7 before or after the wax or sealant? Also not sure which of those to use. I generally use meguiars gold class wax on the car but my polisher came with griots garage sealant that seems to have great reviews. The car is a show car doesn't see the elements very often. Which combination of glaze, wax, or sealant would you all recommend.

jimjc
06-11-2013, 08:22 AM
If you don`t want to do some compounding to remove those scratches you will need to apply a glaze. Glazes have a filling ability to help hide those fine scratches. You apply the glaze before the wax/sealant. If you`ve been using Meguiars then there are many products they have. compounding and polishing they have 105 and 205, they are very good with a da, they have a number of glazes that are good also, check out the descriptions on the products in the store. If you have the show car glaze it`s very good for a show but only lasts for a few days. The Gold class is good but doesn`t last as long as the Ultimate wax.

There is a "how to" sub forum you can check out here, look at the top of the page at the other end of where you click on forums, there may be the answers to some of your questions if you don`t get the answers here quickly.

Edit. I forgot to say I got "wonderful results" from Megs. #7 Show Car Glaze and #26 hi tec wax. I used them for years on 2 Vettes I had for show. but I had to apply more often.

c8n
06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Glaze should be applied before LSP as you want to lock in that glaze.

However, I have read that some sealants and glaze actually don't play well together. Some sealants requires a clean surface for optimal bonding and I don't think it will have any detrimental effects but most likely you will lose the durability of the sealant. Should look into what LSP works well with the glaze you will be working with.

hernandez.art13
06-11-2013, 10:23 AM
If you want you want to just enhance the shine and protect your paint and not polish

Go with Meguiar's no. 7
(Let cure)
Then top it with
Collinite 476s

http://www.collinite.com/about-us/faqs/

What’s the difference between the auto waxes; No. 845 Insulator Wax, No. 476s Super Double Coat and the No. 915 Marque D’ Elegance?
All 3 last step waxes serve the same function: to provide a high gloss carnauba shine and lasting protection. All 3 contain copious amounts of wax-both rare Brazilian carnauba and premium synthetic polymers. However, their degree of durability, ease of use, and warmth of shine vary. Think of it this way;

1. No.476s – most durable protection/weather defense. Most elbow grease required during application.
2. No. 915- 2nd most durable and slightly easier than the 476s to apply/remove. No. 915 lends our warmest shine to dark tones like navy and black due to its highest concentration of rare carnauba.
3. No. 845- easiest of the 3 to apply/remove with slightly less durability than the No. 915.