PDA

View Full Version : pressure washers

jimjc
06-10-2013, 04:31 PM
It just occurred to me that if you use a pressure washer to wash the car, that`s about 2500 or more will it have a negative effect on the wax/sealer, could the pressure remove some of the wax/sealant?

Derrick
06-10-2013, 04:35 PM
It just occurred to me that if you use a pressure washer to wash the car, that`s about 2500 or more will it have a negative effect on the wax/sealer, could the pressure remove some of the wax/sealant?

That amount of psi can remove your paint if you use the wrong tip and get too close. 1000 to 1500 psi with a wide angle tip is the most you need to detail a car.

Derrick

jimjc
06-10-2013, 04:55 PM
That amount of psi can remove your paint if you use the wrong tip and get too close. 1000 to 1500 psi with a wide angle tip is the most you need to detail a car.

Derrick

Ya, I never get to close with it and use a wide tip but I never heard anyone discussing whether p. washers have a detrimental effect on wax/sealant.

Now, I`ve got it in my mind that P.Wash. may remove wax. :confused: not good.

I was looking to purchase a new P. Washer and was trying to determine how much PSI to get. I have a 1600 psi now that works good for everything but was thinking of going bigger, for what reason I don`t know yet.

ken tuep
06-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I doubt it would if using a 40 degree tip and enough space between the tip and paint. I've put my hand in the stream of my 1700 psi green works washer and its just barely more than a firm mist. Its to atomized to really strip, unless close. The soap would probably do a much better job IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

mbret2004
06-10-2013, 05:06 PM
for detailing you have more than enough pressure. Personally, I would think a hose is all you need.

I have a Landa washer that's heated and rated at 4,500 psi. I clean heavy equipment. The average homeowner can get by with what you have. Pressure washers around cars scares me, seen paint removed in "sheets."

Good luck.