PDA

View Full Version : best way washing really dirty car?

Pages : [1] 2

flatlinerz
06-10-2013, 03:25 AM
hey guys

been a few weeks since I washed my car due to storms we been having...whats the best way to be prepping a dirty car? I don't have a foam gun, should I presoak the car with ONR diluted or use some OPC?

thanks

vman
06-10-2013, 04:42 AM
A thorough rinse is the most important step IMO. A pressure washer is more important than a foam gun when it comes to really dirty cars.

c8n
06-10-2013, 05:02 AM
I just came back from camping so you can imagine how dirty my car was. I took the car down to the local self car wash place and hosed her down with the pressure washer for a good thorough rinsing to get all the heavy crap off. She' now ready for some rinseless wash which I was too tired for.

I would foam het down and use pressure washer to get all the heavy stuff off and the use your normal wash method.

Mike Phillips
06-10-2013, 06:05 AM
I took the car down to the local self car wash place and hosed her down with the pressure washer for a good thorough rinsing to get all the heavy stuff off.

I would foam het down and use pressure washer to get all the heavy stuff off and the use your normal wash method.

I agree.

If you don't have a pressure washer, most cities/towns have a do-it-yourself car wash and the wash bays offer a fairly strong spray from their wands and you can use this to knock the really heavy stuff off.

That's how I used to start the wash job on my old 1971 Chevy after a day of mudding...

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/FosterMudFlats011_887203.jpg

:)

vet
06-10-2013, 06:22 AM
For serious dirt, the coin wash. For ''road dirt'', I use the hose on high pressure to rinse first, then do the ONR.

jimjc
06-10-2013, 09:11 AM
I`ll make it unanimous the pressure washer is no doubt the key. You must get off all the grains of matter before rubbing on your paint. Once removed then a good quality car soap and wash will do it.

Pureshine
06-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Foam,Pressure wash and then 2 bucket method :)

AeroCleanse
06-10-2013, 10:34 AM
hey guys

been a few weeks since I washed my car due to storms we been having...whats the best way to be prepping a dirty car? I don't have a foam gun, should I presoak the car with ONR diluted or use some OPC?

thanks

It depends on what you mean by dirty. Hard to know without photos. If its just from road use then just an ONR wash would be plenty.

memphisraines26
06-10-2013, 10:37 AM
I agree.

If you don't have a pressure washer, most cities/towns have a do-it-yourself car wash and the wash bays offer a fairly strong spray from their wands and you can use this to knock the really heavy stuff off.

For serious dirt, the coin wash. For ''road dirt'', I use the hose on high pressure to rinse first, then do the ONR.

Is this necessary for only heavy soiled cars? We just had rain for a week on our daily driven car and washed last 3 weeks ago. I rent a home and want to use the rinse-less wash. Would this be safe for the paint? I need to polish this car after having it a year and get a good wax on it asap.

kevincwelch
06-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Foam,Pressure wash and then 2 bucket method :)

Do you rinse before doing a foam?

Why not just 2 bucket wash with all the foam on the car? (Skip the pressure wash after foaming.)

I've been rinsing, foaming then washing without rinsing the foam off. Not ideal?

Thanks.

Sent via Tapatalk.

c8n
06-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Is this necessary for only heavy soiled cars? We just had rain for a week on our daily driven car and washed last 3 weeks ago. I rent a home and want to use the rinse-less wash. Would this be safe for the paint? I need to polish this car after having it a year and get a good wax on it asap.

Rinseless is fine and they are effective but in my opinion, there is a limit on what they can do. Lubrication is key and you have to ask yourself, "will this product remove the dirt without damaging the paint."

Do a walk around on your car and look at the dirt on the car to make the assessment.

I wash my car once a week and as long as I don't go off-roading, rinseless works well for me.

c8n
06-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Do you rinse before doing a foam?

Why not just 2 bucket wash with all the foam on the car? (Skip the pressure wash after foaming.)

I've been rinsing, foaming then washing without rinsing the foam off. Not ideal?

Thanks.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Anything you do to get the dirt off without touching the paint, is a good thing.

slimnib
06-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Anything you do to get the dirt off without touching the paint, is a good thing.

Logic would dictate that you should get as much as the dirt off without rubbing the paint as possible. You need to be careful using a pressure hose on a car.

I do not use waterless or no rinse a realing dirty car. I am afraid. Use a lot of suddisy soap. Lots of lub.

kevincwelch
06-10-2013, 01:18 PM
You need to be careful using a pressure hose on a car.

Because of physical damage due to the high pressure, getting into cracks and crevices or is this related to knocking the dirt off (or something else)?

Sent via Tapatalk.

David@DCSPrecision
06-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Because of physical damage due to the high pressure, getting into cracks and crevices or is this related to knocking the dirt off (or something else)?

Sent via Tapatalk.
I think he's talking about the potential for damage from the water pressure itself on the paint and/or trim. Also, in repsonse to your earlier post, I feel the most effective method is foam it, let it dwell, rinse, refoam without rinsing, and straight to the two-bucket wash. In my logic, it seems like the least potential for dragging dirt across the car with your wash mitt.