PDA

View Full Version : New and need help with rust

MovedToTN
06-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Hi I just joined this site and need a little help with the steps to get this car looking a little better. It is a 1972 Pontiac 4 door the rust is on the surface I took a piece of wet sand paper to a spot and it started to come right off but i dought this is the right thing to do I am ready to place a order but need to know what and how much of it do i need. Thanks for your help Tom

SonOfOC
06-09-2013, 01:15 AM
You asked about this on a previous post. What are you wanting to do? The car is rusted out and will new paint.

Pureshine
06-09-2013, 02:34 AM
Repaint.

sproketser
06-09-2013, 04:50 AM
+ 1 on repaint mate .

poweraid
06-09-2013, 04:52 AM
nu finish ! paint

DogRescuer
06-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Repaint.

+ 1 on repaint mate .

nu finish ! paint
I think you get the point.

Setec Astronomy
06-09-2013, 10:08 AM
the rust is on the surface I took a piece of wet sand paper to a spot and it started to come right off

And what did it look like where you took the rust off? Was it the yellowy paint? Or was it bare metal?

MovedToTN
06-09-2013, 09:59 PM
The rust has not gone through the paint so I am going to try to make it look as good as I can until I repaint

rmagnus
06-09-2013, 10:34 PM
You might try a product like IronX to chemically remove the rust. After that a medium to aggressive clay bar should do the trick. I agree in the long run a repaint is the solution.

allenk4
06-10-2013, 06:27 AM
"The rust has not gone through the paint"

If it really is rust; the above statement cannot be true.

To get real rust, the clear coat, base coat and primer all must be removed down to the ferrous metal which reacts with the atmosphere and moisture to change the surface of the exposed metal to rust.

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Rust)

"Earl Scheib" it

Mike Phillips
06-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Wow!

That's more rust than I imagined or expected....

I've buffed out a couple of cars like this before and it's not pretty and it's never going to look great, at least not for long...

Here's what you do...

Compound the paint, fastest is with a rotayr buffer but however you can. Get one of the Meguiar's compounds like the UC, M105, M100 or M101, these are all SMAT compounds which are aggressive but gentle at the same time.

Compound the paint till the rust is gone, chances are good you'll be down to primer and even start seeing some shiny metal.

Then polish and wax.

Then, be prepared to machine wax all the time, once a week even to keep the surfaces, all of them, painted, primer and bare metal, polished and protected. If you do this once a week you can keep the rust from coming back. As soon as you stop "touching" it, the rust will come back.

Maybe take a look at doing a roll-on paint job.

Copy and paste the below into Google...

Rolledon affordable paintjobs

:)

banzaitoyota
06-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Might try a recirculating bath of EVAPORUST.

MovedToTN
06-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the advice I just ordered some iron x and some #7 I will see what I can do I know I will end up painting but want to have that done right the car only has 69,000 miles, i bought it from original owner and what to end up what something nice thanks again Tom