PDA

View Full Version : Washing Microfiber Towels

Pages : [1] 2

dhaas66
06-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Just washed some microfiber towels and they have all sorts of lint and small debri in the towel.

Any tips?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JHL88
06-08-2013, 09:24 PM
what was your routine? detergent, cycle, drying method etc.?

poweraid
06-08-2013, 09:26 PM
did u wash with only mf towels or did u throw in some other crap ?

inDetail
06-08-2013, 09:29 PM
If they are good quality towels you can remedy the issue. If they are dried already use a lint roller to pull the lint off. Wash them again with hot water and MF wash. Only wash microfiber with microfiber. When you put them in the dryer make sure you clean out the lint trap. Run the dryer for 5 or 10 minutes then clean the lint trap out again. Then toss your MF in and dry them. When you get new MF wash a dry them before first use.

mikesal57
06-08-2013, 09:30 PM
I used plain laundry detergent ( Target) no bleach or no softener

fast wash ( 18 mins)

I don't remember the temp ..was it hot/cold or cold/cold
does it matter..

then took a 50 foot electrical cord , spread out wall to wail in garage and hung the towels..

my wife thought we were back in the ghetto...;)

mike

BradsDetailing
06-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Wash in hot water. Gets the oils, waxes, polishes etc out better. There's a home made laundry soap that I use, you can google the recipe, that works great and is super cheap.

inDetail
06-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Then I don't have any idea where they picked up the lint. The debris can be from anything. Any chance you use MF and cotton towels while you are working?
They may have picked up lint from those.
I use cotton to dry the dirty spots. engine bays, wheel wells and the such. You can't let the cotton and MF touch each other. Stuff sticks to MF like glue.
I would wash and dry them in the dryer. It's possible for they could have picked up the lint in the washer.
When I'm doing a detail once a MF is spent it goes into a pre soak with 20:1 purple power to keep the residues from drying then put a lid on it to keep any dirt getting into the container.

MyFirstES300
06-09-2013, 08:03 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/20250/22oz_STAIN_REMOVER.png

Has anyone ever tried this to remove stains from your MF's? Wondering if it is safe without ruining the towels. Incidentally, if you never tried this stuff, it's awesome.

add lightness
06-09-2013, 08:42 PM
To add to this question, is it ok to wash towels with old wax and dried polish, etc. in the washer, without risk of getting residue all over the washer? My mom doesn't want me to mess up her washer, and I've got a big stack of dirty towels, ha. Is regular laundry detergent ok?

jjj
06-09-2013, 08:44 PM
To add to this question, is it ok to wash towels with old wax and dried polish, etc. in the washer, without risk of getting residue all over the washer? My mom doesn't want me to mess up her washer, and I've got a big stack of dirty towels, ha. Is regular laundry detergent ok?

Never had a problem with residue.

BradsDetailing
06-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Google search home made laundry detergent, it's cheaper and imo more effective. Use hot water and cold for the rinse. Never had an issue either.

MyFirstES300
06-09-2013, 09:02 PM
What I do to prevent this: For MF used to buff compounds, waxes and polishes, I take a bucket of hot water and mix with some all purpose cleaner to pre wash all the nasty stuff. I agitate it all by hand and let soak for a couple of hours, then rinse. At that point the worst of it should be out of the towels and should not leave any residue in your Mom's washing machine.

swanicyouth
06-09-2013, 10:04 PM
I do something kind of weird. I vacuum out my dryer before I put MF towels in it. I guess it depends on the style of dryer, but the dryer I have the lint trap comes out from what is like a tunnel. I stick a shop vac into the tunnel to suck out every last piece of lint, as it tends to line the tunnel. Then I go around the interior of the dryer real quick to suck up any dust or lint. I've also wiped down the dryer drum with IPA to remove any lint.

Pretty crazy, huh?

MyFirstES300
06-09-2013, 10:34 PM
I do something kind of weird. I vacuum out my dryer before I put MF towels in it. I guess it depends on the style of dryer, but the dryer I have the lint trap comes out from what is like a tunnel. I stick a shop vac into the tunnel to suck out every last piece of lint, as it tends to line the tunnel. Then I go around the interior of the dryer real quick to suck up any dust or lint. I've also wiped down the dryer drum with IPA to remove any lint.

Pretty crazy, huh?

Not crazy, but maybe extreme. I do, however, run my dryer empty for a minute to air out any possible lint that might be in the drum. Beyond that, so be it if a few shards of lint get on my MF's. Otherwise never had an issue.

Rayaz
06-10-2013, 12:08 AM

Yes, in my case it's ok. My towels are worth more than my clothes...

Seriously, the pre-soak with all purpose cleaner and a grit guard to get the abrasives out before the washer is a good idea on anything used to wipe polish. The abrasives could be hard on the internals of the washer. I use a little vinegar in the rinse and nothing smells after.