PDA

View Full Version : Necessary to do M105 before M205?

Pages : [1] 2

macboi
06-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm getting ready to polish my car this weekend, I've been researching weather or not to do the 105 prior to the 205. My paint is fairly in good condition with minimum scratches. My question is, when would you know to use the cut before the polish?

theblob640
06-07-2013, 02:56 PM
If the polish achieves the result you want on your test spot, there really is no reason to go any more aggressive. Work your way up until you achieve the results your desire.

macboi
06-07-2013, 02:58 PM
If the polish achieves the result you want on your test spot, there really is no reason to go any more aggressive. Work your way up until you achieve the results your desire.

Thanks!! I asked around everywhere locally and everyone told me that I HAVE to cut before I polish, but couldn't give me a reason as to why I need to go so aggressive. Thanks for commenting!

FUNX650
06-07-2013, 02:59 PM
If the polish achieves the result you want on your test spot,
there really is no reason to go any more aggressive.
Work your way up until you achieve the results your desire.
^^^Good advice^^^ :props:

Bob

erichaley
06-07-2013, 03:56 PM
But I heard that if you don't use M105 before M205 that the world will come to an end. So you're saying this isn't true? :)

theblob640
06-07-2013, 05:12 PM
But I heard that if you don't use M105 before M205 that the world will come to an end. So you're saying this isn't true? :)

Yes sir, if m205 removed all the defects, doing m105 prior to m205 will not only waste time and product, it will also remove clear coat that really didnt needed to be removed.

DogRescuer
06-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Im new to polishing and I also use the 105 205 21 combo, I go panel to panel, only hitting or doing spot work with 105. I will then polish entire panel with 205, do a IPA wipedown followed by M21 to seal. Im learning practice practice, and be content with saying "thats good enough" have fun.

BradsDetailing
06-07-2013, 08:22 PM
This is good knowledge to pass along to your customers and possibly gain more respect and business.

DogRescuer
06-07-2013, 08:30 PM
This is good knowledge to pass along to your customers and possibly gain more respect and business.
I wish I had customers who were interested in a real detail, instead of a wash n dry, but I enjoy what I do.

macboi
06-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Yes sir, if m205 removed all the defects, doing m105 prior to m205 will not only waste time and product, it will also remove clear coat that really didnt needed to be removed.

I have some stubborn bug marks that I am hoping the 105 would/could take care of it. Pics after the weekend to see if I can answer my own question. :props:

BradsDetailing
06-07-2013, 09:36 PM
I have some stubborn bug marks that I am hoping the 105 would/could take care of it. Pics after the weekend to see if I can answer my own question. :props:
have you tried clay yet? Or a bug sponge, spray or even polishing by hand?

macboi
06-08-2013, 01:00 AM
have you tried clay yet? Or a bug sponge, spray or even polishing by hand?

I bought the car used about 6 months ago and the bugs were there up to that point. I tried clay.. Scrubbing .... Steaming it.. Nothing is working so I will try to compound it tomorrow and see if it works, if not then it will probably be painted.

BillE
06-08-2013, 07:08 AM
To add to the original question/answer...think of it this way, you have a scratch on a piece of wood, you wouldn't hit it with 80 grit first, you'd try 150 or 220 first to see if that worked.

LEAST aggressive first and always.

Bill

macboi
06-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Just got done polishing my car and now I'm sad. I previously put Cquartz on the last time so now when I polish, it left this oil streaks on my car and polishing did not get it out. I moved up to a more aggressive method and still no hope. Sigh. One whole day ruined.

FUNX650
06-09-2013, 06:23 AM
I'm getting ready to polish my car this weekend, I've been researching weather or not to do the 105 prior to the 205.
My paint is fairly in good condition with minimum scratches. My question is, when would you know to use the cut before the polish?

I bought the car used about 6 months ago and the bugs were there up to that point.
I tried clay.. Scrubbing .... Steaming it.. Nothing is working so I will try to compound
it tomorrow and see if it works, if not then it will probably be painted.

Just got done polishing my car and now I'm sad.
I previously put Cquartz on the last time so now when I polish,
it left this oil streaks on my car and polishing did not get it out.
I moved up to a more aggressive method and still no hope.
Sigh. One whole day ruined.
So you're saying that sometime within the last six months you put
CQuartz atop paint that had a minimum of scratches (and possibly bugs); and, now:
First-off...M205, then M105, is leaving oil streaks while polishing/compounding?

Are you trying to remove the CQuartz...
Or just not having any luck with the bug removal?

Bob