PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How much would you charge?

Whitethunder46
05-29-2007, 10:41 PM
I met a guy the other day and got to talking about his vehicle (show car, '95 Vette). anyways, he calls me this morning asking me how much I would charge for a semi, a 10 wheeler at that.

He gave me the model info of a 2005 Volvo S80 so I could research. Needless to say, I was somewhat dumbfounded of the idea of detailing a semi, I totally didn't realize he gave me the model info of the car. Anyways, I'm pretty sure he meant the VT 880 (at least this matches the description).

So, how much would you charge for the following? How much for a "package" deal?

He def. wants an engine cleaning/detail and at the very least a vacuum on the interior. I told him more than likely the farthest I'd go on the exterior is a one step polish via rotary.

Anyways, what would you chrage for the following?

Engine: $?
Interior vacuumed, surfaces simply wiped down, windows cleaned: $?
Interior vacuumed, surfaces protected (303), carpets and upholstery spot cleaned, de-oderized, windows cleaned: $?
Wash exterior, wheels cleaned/tire shined, windows cleaned: $?
Wash exteriro, wheels cleaned/tires shines, windows cleaned, sealant: $?
Wash exterior, wheels cleaned/tires shined, windows cleaned, polish w/ one step (Optimum PS via rotary): $?

How much for the following two packages??

Package 1:
vaccuumed and windows cleaned
wash and sealant (w/ tires/wheels)
engine cleaned/detailed

Package 2:
vacuumed, windows cleaned, spot stained, de-oderized surfaces conditioned
wash and paint polished w/ one stepper
Engine cleaned/detailed

I have no idea where to start on pricing. Anyone have a roughhhh idea on amount of hours this might take? I would definately try and get some help for this one.

D
05-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Engine: $75
Interior vacuumed, surfaces simply wiped down, windows cleaned: $60
Interior vacuumed, surfaces protected (303), carpets and upholstery spot cleaned, de-oderized, windows cleaned: $80
Wash exterior, wheels cleaned/tire shined, windows cleaned: $75
Wash exterior, wheels cleaned/tires shines, windows cleaned, sealant: $100
Wash exterior, wheels cleaned/tires shined, windows cleaned, polish w/ one step (Optimum PS via rotary): $100

Package 1: $235
engine cleaned/detailed

Package 2: $255
Engine cleaned/detailed

I have no idea, just guessing.

P1et
05-30-2007, 11:07 AM
How about you switch it up a bit and estimate how many hours it would take you, then charge by the hour.

3Dog
05-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Also remember most semi's have lots of polished aluminum.

orngez
05-30-2007, 12:03 PM
just so you know....semi trucks are a completely different animal than cars....anything less than 300-500 dollars and you will be hating yourself....you havent seen grime and road tar build up until you have worked on a semi...even when i detailed full time i usually turned them down unless i had gone through a dry spell of no work...\

but if you do choose to do the job....buy a new gallon or two of degreaser...dont even bother with bug and tar removers....and dont plan on diluting it either....and a lot of metal polish...most semis are loaded with diamond plate and aluminum...duragloss metal brightener will be your best friend for the polished stuff...i would start the estimate off at 500 dollars without even looking at the semi...

supercharged
05-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Engine: $75
Interior vacuumed, surfaces simply wiped down, windows cleaned: $60
Interior vacuumed, surfaces protected (303), carpets and upholstery spot cleaned, de-oderized, windows cleaned: $80
Wash exterior, wheels cleaned/tire shined, windows cleaned: $75
Wash exterior, wheels cleaned/tires shines, windows cleaned, sealant: $100
Wash exterior, wheels cleaned/tires shined, windows cleaned, polish w/ one step (Optimum PS via rotary): $100

Package 1: $235
engine cleaned/detailed

Package 2: $255
Engine cleaned/detailed

I have no idea, just guessing.
That's about right, depending on vehicle condition you can raise/lower it a little.

Ivan Rajic
05-30-2007, 12:14 PM
I agree with orngez on this one...
I would simply figure out what you get per hour for the same package but on a regular sized car... add $5 to that and either give a guy an estimate based on your best judgement on how many hours it would take you, or simply tell him you charge $30(example) per hour and don't know how long it would take... from my experience, it helps to tell the client they won't pay more than $xxx amount, because that's where the decision is made and they're ok with it... just make sure the $xxx amount is more than enough to cover your a$$... you can always charge less if it takes you less than expected
Good luck bud

Ivan Rajic
05-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Oh, and I also wouldn't charge a penny less than $400 for a 1-step polish... $250 is my starting price for an SUV/minivan...while that is for a 2-step most of the time, a semi is what, 7-10x larger

Don't forget the amount of work you'll need to put in, as far as moving a ladder every 2 feet so you can get the top of the trailer, climbing the ladder every 2 feet, going on top, etc... I'm simply trying to say that you can't simply charge in proportion to a car detail, since there's much more work involved... thus the added $5 to hourly rate

Again, wish you best of luck with this one

P1et
05-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Whatever you end up charging, let's see some pics!!!

Whitethunder46
05-30-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm going to see if I can take a look at it and then give an estimate.

I'm thinking no more than $600 and charge $40 an hour. That's 15 hours of works and if it takes more, than o well.

supercharged
05-30-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm going to see if I can take a look at it and then give an estimate.

I'm thinking no more than $600 and charge $40 an hour. That's 15 hours of works and if it takes more, than o well.
15 Hours of work???:eek: :eek:

DavidJ021
05-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah I go by $40/hr but if it was a semi, i'd prob raise to $50/hr. I was curious what some of you detailer's price by hr on the eastcoast.

Whitethunder46
05-30-2007, 01:46 PM
15 Hours of work???:eek: :eek:

Think of all the paint, and how large the interior is and how long it will take to simply vacuum. Not to mention the engine.

I usually do around $30-35 an hour, that's just what it comes out to be.

Al-53
05-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Think of all the paint, and how large the interior is and how long it will take to simply vacuum. Not to mention the engine.

I usually do around $30-35 an hour, that's just what it comes out to be.

And the Frame rails...and Fifth wheel grease all over the place...wheels..rims...remember most trucks put on as many miles in a month as we put on in a year if not more..if they are not rollin they make no money...I work at the PO truck repair facility and see contract drivers come in alot....see some nice clean trucks..and I ask them about it...they pay up to 900.00 for a detail...and it shows all the brake canisters are clean..frame rails are clean..aluminum is glowing and clean..the engine compartments on our trucks are horrendous...we have to steam them clean before we even work on them...

price accordingly Whitethunder...you should be ok ....

Al