PDA

View Full Version : The Hard Fact of Life....vent....

Pages : [1] 2

Seth@NWCDetailing
06-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Well....
The hard fact of life is that if you dont have any money life is going to get really tough.

Unfortunately flat just not making enough money detailing right now. A big problem I have is not having the proper equipment I need, not producing enough money to stay afloat, and the word of mouth is not spreading...
Having this kind of stress at 22 while trying to start a family and a house (let alone benefits), just can't do it.
I started this business with basically nothing and have been building ever since, struggling, but building.
But when you don't have any money, equipment, and no business is coming in, things pile up.

So..what did I do?... PT Job.

I'm confident this job will turn into full time in a few months, which will allow me to gain capital and be able to purchase everything I need and get me to where I want to be..
"BACK TO DETAILING FOR A LIVING".

Soooo, in about 3-4 years (while doing details during weekends and evenings) I'm optimistic that I will be detailing full time again! By that time I'll hopefully have a partner in business. After seeing other business on here it seems that is a productive and smart way to go.....I can say it'll definitely help out from me doing every bit of work with everything else I do.

Its been a few weeks since I posted mostly due to slow business and stress, so it just helps to vent it out a little.

Appreciate if you read it.
:dblthumb2:

Detailing Will Burn Through My Veins Again Soon Enough.

JSou
06-07-2013, 10:28 AM
You'll bounce back I'm sure. Hang in there. I too work a FT gig. Can't beat benefits.

DaVinciAutoSpa
06-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Good attitude. It sounds like you're passionate about detailing, hang in there.

Audi X2
06-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Seth what equipment are you lacking that you still need to acquire?

Dogfather
06-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Hopefully someday people in this country wake up and start showing some love for the folks on the supply side.

Seth@NWCDetailing
06-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys. Takes a lot to run a business on your own, I learned that pretty quick.
Time to step back for a couple years, and wait for the right time.

Seth what equipment are you lacking that you still need to acquire?

Right now I don't have much. What I need to produce the quality results I feel necessary is a polisher, steamer, air compressor, generator, extractor, detailing cart, and of course towels and chemicals.

I have few chemicals, brushes, and towels, just not enough to do production detailing.

I have an OK Electric PW, but its a little too powerful and I have to turn it off and on every time or else it blows a breaker.

I do have a 5 gal. vacuum, a canopy, buckets, extension cords, nitrile gloves, hoses, and sprayers.

Basically the big things and some minor things is what I'm missing.

I was intending to purchase these items over time, while detailing F/T, but all my money goes to other bills and business has not been flowing.

JSou
06-07-2013, 04:21 PM
What?! Did I just read you don't own a polisher? Meaning you've been doing everything by hand?

Seth@NWCDetailing
06-07-2013, 04:40 PM
You read right my friend.........but most of work since being in business has been interior work.

Flash Gordon
06-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Life can be difficult sometimes. Hang in there little buddy. You still have a whole lot of life left in you

What?! Did I just read you don't own a polisher? Meaning you've been doing everything by hand?

I have a friend who has been detailing just about as long (25 years +) as I have and has never used or owned a polisher. The caliber of cars he works on puts mine to shame too

dad07
06-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Life can be difficult sometimes. Hang in there little buddy. You still have a whole lot of life left in you

I agree Flash.......and this Young man needs a little help....forum help.

Seth, Faith is the upmost important..faith in the Lord ,faith in family and faith in your success.

Don't give up and don't let it get you down.

Looks like you have the passion, and alot of it doing things by hand.

I commend you for trying...but its not over for you.....not at all.

you have a family here on the forum and we can help you overcome and prevail,I'm going to help you somehow just not sure how.....faith will tell me.

stay tuned.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
06-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Do you have a business plan? It seems like you may have over looked something's before going all in on this business. A lot of people have to start part time while having another job to get enough capital to get everything going. Don't over extend yourself, starting a business and starting a family will be huge ventures simultaneously.

If you haven't picked this book up I highly recommend it.

Amazon.com: How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business (Home-Based Business Series) eBook: Renny Doyle: Kindle Store (http://www.amazon.com/Home-based-Detailing-Business-Home-Based-ebook/dp/B00B8OBQIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370652550&sr=8-1&keywords=Renny+Doyle)

Life is all about doing things, making mistakes and learning from them. If you really want to detail full time, you can make it happen in time, but don't force things. Save then start slowly.

DRT BRD
06-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Motivation. I have a good feeling you have it. You have to really dig down and hustle. You will really learn a lot about yourself through out these times. I'm speaking from experience so I know how it feels. The only thing you can do is stay positive, surround yourself with people who believe in you and continue to put out great work.

A little advice is wait for some nice BOGO deals and only spend what you truly need. Find products that you can use for multiple things. (APC, Dressing etc)

Above all, don't get down on yourself because that will affect your support group as well.

Do you have business cards? How are you promoting yourself? FB and Twitter are GREAT tools to use. If you aren't attending car shows or meets, you need to.

Just stay positive bud and have a little faith. Sorry for the long post, this Coors light has me rambling.

Pureshine
06-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Hey Seth sorry to hear things aren't working out bro hope things change around for you. If you need anything let me know.

mavin
06-08-2013, 12:01 AM
I am not in the detailing business, purely a new hobby for me. But clearly the bang for your buck value is in the meguairs detail line. Assuming you had nothing, you could put out quality work for under $300.

D120 for glass: $18
D151 for your 1-steps: $37
D103 for APC: $16
M205 polish : $28
M105 compound : $26
D156 spray wax: $30
D170 tire/trim dressing: $37

Wait for a 20% off sale: $160 in product, and thats assuming you have nothing to start with

Gold Class Wash: $10 for a big bottle at Costco

Harbor Freight DA: $45

2 Lowes buckets and 2 grit guards: $20

Foam Pads and Microfiber towels: $55

Doors are open for under $300, pays for itself in 2-3 details.

Merely a suggestion though and everyones situation is different. Best of luck to you!

mbret2004
06-08-2013, 06:07 AM
Seth,
I am moved by your motivation to get back to something you seem quite passionate about. At times life can be a test, one we don't know how to study or prepare for. When faced with a situation we bear down and do what we need to and get through it. Always remember this: tough times don't last but tough people do.
Finally, we don't know life's plan. We live it as God plans it. We experience good and bad which makes us much stronger in the end. I wish you the best of luck.

God Bless!