PDA

View Full Version : Mix & Match

mikesal57
06-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Hello..

Can you mix different brands to get you desired results?

EX: Meg's Ultimate Compound and then use say WG Finishing Glaze?

thxs

Mike

CrayBrown
06-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Of course. Its generally recommended by the manufacturer that you stick to their line. There is nothing wrong with mixing though. I just used UC and followed with wg polish and my results were very impressive

mikesal57
06-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Of course. Its generally recommended by the manufacturer that you stick to their line. There is nothing wrong with mixing though. I just used UC and followed with wg polish and my results were very impressive

Thank you sir...

I'm a newbie at this...my first attempt was with the Wolfgang Duo & the Griot's polisher
The car came out great except for the hood...needs more aggressive treatment
Was thinking of doing the MEG UC & WG Glaze..

Is it ok to use a polishing pal to apply both products because of all different body lines and curves?

Mike

CrayBrown
06-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Yeah hand polishing is always okay. It's much safer for some spots.

Keep in mind when using UC that you want to make sure you work it until it starts to become almost clear. It has diminishing abrasives which breakdown and polish finer the longer its worked. That will prevent hazing and having to do more work when finish polishing.

shoot me a PM and ill give you my email you can shoot me any questions you have.

mikesal57
06-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Yeah hand polishing is always okay. It's much safer for some spots.

Keep in mind when using UC that you want to make sure you work it until it starts to become almost clear. It has diminishing abrasives which breakdown and polish finer the longer its worked. That will prevent hazing and having to do more work when finish polishing.

shoot me a PM and ill give you my email you can shoot me any questions you have.

Thx Mr Brown..

another question....

After UC and WG Glaze....Can/should I do the WG Deep Gloss and then wax or skip Deep Gloss and go straight to wax..

An speaking of wax....I'm looking at

Meguiars Synthetic X-press™ Spray Wax ( is this D156???)

I want something that is easy on and off...dry or wet...and in sunlight...and of course , lasts long and shines :)

are there other considerations?

thxs

Mike

RPPM
06-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Actually, UC does not have diminishing abrasives, it uses SMAT technology, just like 105 and 205. You can stop anytime you want, it will not breakdown, it will just use up the carrier agents.

mikesal57
06-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Actually, UC does not have diminishing abrasives, it uses SMAT technology, just like 105 and 205. You can stop anytime you want, it will not breakdown, it will just use up the carrier agents.

Is 105 a cut above UC?

RPPM
06-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Yes, but if using a DA instead of a rotary, Meguiars recommends UC over 105 as it will not dust as much and actually works better with a DA than 105.

mikesal57
06-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Now I'm worried about using UC and hand application....:(

ihaveacamaro
06-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Now I'm worried about using UC and hand application....:(

UC was designed for hand application.

As for what RPPM said, I think that is a bit dated information as for a while now, M105 has been made for DA or rotary.

But it doesn't really matter as both M105 and UC work great by hand, DA, or rotary.

mikesal57
06-08-2013, 07:49 PM
UC was designed for hand application.

As for what RPPM said, I think that is a bit dated information as for a while now, M105 has been made for DA or rotary.

But it doesn't really matter as both M105 and UC work great by hand, DA, or rotary.

thxs buddy...I have to get that order out by Sunday :props:

getting:
Polishing Pal
Meg's UC
Meg's D156 ( 128 oz)
Another Bucket( have 2 already filled..need to fill another one)
and now I saw the seat cushion..

also need another address to ship this to...:nomore:

Mike

mikesal57
06-10-2013, 11:13 AM
is a microfiber pad just as good as a foam one in applying any kind of products..?

the foam has no substance and my fingers seem to do most of the work...

Mike