PDA

View Full Version : Another Rupes Question :( Pretty sure it hasn't been asked yet. ;-D

Pages : [1] 2

El Flaco Taco
06-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Hello. Like many before me I'm torn between the rupes 21 and 15. I've heard many say get the 21 with 5" backing plate. Which leads me to the question I have not seen answered yet. Does the 5" backing plate perform better on the 15 or the 21? I've not seen any comparisons done this way. Another question is how much more throw does the 21 with 5" pad have than the 15? It cant still be 21, right? It's really tough to make this decision because I know I most likely will use 5.5" pads most, but in the back of my mind I wonder if I'm leaving something on the table by not buying the 21. Like the ability to use a larger pad. Of all of you who have the 21, which backing plate do you use most?

Rsurfer
06-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Get the 21 with a 5" backing plate and a modified washer. You can always put the 6" bp on for larger panels.

Skyfall
06-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Better control in tight spots with the 15

2old2change
06-07-2013, 07:48 AM
When you place the smaller pad on the 21 the throw is still 21mm. The area covered by the pad (sq in.) is what is changed. Purchase the 21 and then pick up the 15 bp at the same time. You won't regret it.

Mike Phillips
06-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:welcome:

Evan.J
06-07-2013, 08:57 AM
When you place the smaller pad on the 21 the throw is still 21mm. The area covered by the pad (sq in.) is what is changed. Purchase the 21 and then pick up the 15 bp at the same time. You won't regret it.

Much agreed!:dblthumb2:

Chris@AutoCleanse
06-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Welcome to the GEEK.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Get the 21 with a 5" backing plate and a modified washer. You can always put the 6" bp on for larger panels.
:iagree:

El Flaco Taco
06-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Thank you all for the welcome! This is my first post but I've been lurking for quite some time now. I really do appreciate the responses and I'm just about convinced to get the 21. Because I feel like I "won't regret it" however I find a very interesting apparent contradiction. The very same person that caused me to wonder if following the masses and going 21 with 5" backing plate was not the best idea is now telling me that its a good idea. Hmm...

FivePoint.O in another thread you posted
"I tried the 15 after I bought the 21. While the 21 will cuts faster, I can "feel" the difference in the throw compared to the 15. Meaning, with the larger throw, it's not quite as smooth. It's not night and day by any means, but I noticed it. Don't get me wrong, the 21 is still WAYYYY more smooth than the Flex 3401, I just prefer the feel of the 15, even if it doesn't cut as fast."

Wondering what brought the change of heart after you sold your 21 and got the 15. Please don't miss read I'm in no way "calling you out" I just want to know what changed from then to now? Do you now wish you hadn't changed to the 15?

Once again thanks for the welcome! Hopefully I can come to a decision soon. I'll be ordering one way or another on Sunday!

WRAPT C5Z06
06-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Thank you all for the welcome! This is my first post but I've been lurking for quite some time now. I really do appreciate the responses and I'm just about convinced to get the 21. Because I feel like I "won't regret it" however I find a very interesting apparent contradiction. The very same person that caused me to wonder if following the masses and going 21 with 5" backing plate was not the best idea is now telling me that its a good idea. Hmm...

FivePoint.O in another thread you posted
"I tried the 15 after I bought the 21. While the 21 will cuts faster, I can "feel" the difference in the throw compared to the 15. Meaning, with the larger throw, it's not quite as smooth. It's not night and day by any means, but I noticed it. Don't get me wrong, the 21 is still WAYYYY more smooth than the Flex 3401, I just prefer the feel of the 15, even if it doesn't cut as fast."

Wondering what brought the change of heart after you sold your 21 and got the 15. Please don't miss read I'm in no way "calling you out" I just want to know what changed from then to now? Do you now wish you hadn't changed to the 15?

Once again thanks for the welcome! Hopefully I can come to a decision soon. I'll be ordering one way or another on Sunday!
If you know me, I tend to change my mind a lot! :laughing:

The more I used the 15, I realized the 21 smoked the 15 as far as keeping the pad rotating on curved panels and such. I still feel the 15 is a bit smoother, though. You'll get better correction and efficiency with the 21, hands down. The 15 is no slouch, don't get me wrong.

Audi X2
06-07-2013, 12:19 PM

The more I used the 15, I realized the 21 smoked the 15 as far as keeping the pad rotating on curved panels and such. I still feel the 15 is a bit smoother, though. You'll get better correction and efficiency with the 21, hands down. The 15 is no slouch, don't get me wrong.

:iagree: I like the 21 with the 5" plate.

2old2change
06-07-2013, 12:24 PM
After using both machines and owning the 21 , I feel comfortable in recommending the 21 over the 15. After owning a few GG 6' machines,a PC and Meguiars you won't beleive the smoothness. I also used the flex 3401 and decided the Rupes was for me.With the 15 bp on the 21 you will be able to handle most of what is thrown at ya. The next purchase for me will be the air operated lhr75. Used a good friend of mine multiple times and I'm spoiled.

El Flaco Taco
06-07-2013, 02:53 PM

10/4! So it's settled! The 15 it is! I keed, I keed! It's the 21! Thanks for the input guys!

Now the saga continues. Pads and polishes? I'll have whatever comes with the kit as far as rupes stuff. I was thinking of getting microfiber pads and some of the menz polishes. (FG 400, PF 2500 and Power Lock) What do y'all think? Should I just play with the rupes stuff first or just go ahead and grab the Menz and microfibers too?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-07-2013, 02:59 PM
10/4! So it's settled! The 15 it is! I keed, I keed! It's the 21! Thanks for the input guys!

Now the saga continues. Pads and polishes? I'll have whatever comes with the kit as far as rupes stuff. I was thinking of getting microfiber pads and some of the menz polishes. (FG 400, PF 2500 and Power Lock) What do y'all think? Should I just play with the rupes stuff first or just go ahead and grab the Menz and microfibers too?
Definitely pick up some MF FINISHING pads. They glide over the paint better than the cutting pads and still cut very well! You need to do the washer mod, tho.

El Flaco Taco
06-07-2013, 03:31 PM
definitely pick up some mf finishing pads. They glide over the paint better than the cutting pads and still cut very well! You need to do the washer mod, tho.

10/4!