PDA

View Full Version : New to scratch removal w/ questions.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mfrickman
06-06-2013, 06:28 PM
New to scratch removal w/ questions. (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/65856-new-scratch-removal-w-questions.html)

I've had a client ask me if I can tackle this:

http://i.imgur.com/cxKGmMZ.jpg

The most aggressive thing I have is CG's AIO. I don't do much more than swirl removal so this is new to me. Will I need a compound to tackle this? I have a PC with LC pads.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

LazyGhost
06-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Some of that would come out with wet sanding. The rest will require a repaint. lol. That long scratch towards the bottom that looks kinda like a pinstripe, there aint no buffin gonna fix that.

Thats just my uneducated opinion. Im sure others who are more knowledgeable will chime in.

mfrickman
06-06-2013, 06:39 PM
There's only two that catch the fingernail. The rest can't be felt.

LazyGhost
06-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Im really not the right one to be replying. However, if I go too long without posting the forum pops up a banner telling me its been a few weeks since ive made a post and that I should do so. So here I am. ;-)

I still say it needs a repaint. Wetsanding would likely fix 60% of what I see. But youd work yourself to death trying to fix it and in your attempt to get it right, youd likely mess up the paint by going thru the clear, and then youd be the one paying for the repaint. Maybe that pic is lying to me, but it looks beyond reasonable help.

Evan.J
06-06-2013, 06:58 PM
There's only two that catch the fingernail. The rest can't be felt.

Well thats good thing. The two you can feel most likely won't be able to be removed however the rest should be.

It would be good if you could get your hands on some M105 or maybe even Ultimate Compound as that would help you. I am not too sure how much cut you can get with CG AIO as I have never used it.

What is your most aggressive pad you have?

mfrickman
06-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Orange LC CCS pad is my most aggressive.

Evan.J
06-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Have you tired the orange CCS pad and the AIO?

mfrickman
06-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Haven't tried anything yet. I was curious if it was something that an AIO would be even worth trying. :dunno: Who sells the OTC version of M105? Would I have to buy the polish to follow or could I follow up with the AIO?

Evan.J
06-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Haven't tried anything yet. I was curious if it was something that an AIO would be even worth trying. :dunno: Who sells the OTC version of M105? Would I have to buy the polish to follow or could I follow up with the AIO?

I would give the AIO a shot first and see what you get it can't hurt.

Flash Gordon
06-06-2013, 08:51 PM
I think if you started out with an 800 grit sanding disk you and the owner would be very surprised by the results (in a good way) :)

Rsurfer
06-06-2013, 09:00 PM

You can get Ultimate Compound over the counter. Try to follow up with AIO.

mfrickman
06-06-2013, 09:02 PM
I have never wetsanded and I am slightly intimidated by it.

The whole truck is bombarded with swirls by a detailer down the street he's been taking it to for years and I think this is an opportunity to upsell some correction work.

Rsurfer
06-06-2013, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=LazyGhost;886378] That long scratch towards the bottom that looks kinda like a pinstripe, there aint no buffin gonna fix that.

It's hard to buff out a parking stripe that's on the ground.

Flash Gordon
06-06-2013, 09:14 PM
I have never wetsanded and I am slightly intimidated by it.

I was intiminated the first time I kissed a girl, but I didn't let that stop me Im the MAN

Seriously though. I've only been wetsanding for about two years myself. If you just use common sense, you shouldn't have a problem. If the customer is going to repaint anyway, you have nothing to lose

mfrickman
06-06-2013, 09:21 PM
I don't have the equipment to do it yet. My plan is to ONR the area, clay, try the AIO with an orange pad, or switch to M105, if I need to, then AIO. Sound about right?