PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars headlight repair kit

Shinycarz
06-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I just got the headlight repair kit from Autogeek and I was wondering if anyone else used it and how it worked. Only did one headlight repair awhile ago but they wanted me to use some other company's product. It was really yellow and there was scratches left behind from it.

inDetail
06-06-2013, 05:26 PM
I have used GlassyLite (no power tools needed) from CG it worked really well. 3m and the Sylvania kit also are highly rated

Evan.J
06-06-2013, 05:45 PM
I just got the headlight repair kit from Autogeek and I was wondering if anyone else used it and how it worked. Only did one headlight repair awhile ago but they wanted me to use some other company's product. It was really yellow and there was scratches left behind from it.

Which kit they have three of them.

theblob640
06-06-2013, 05:53 PM
I used the most aggressive kit they had and while improvement is dramatic with heavy yellowed headlights, I would still recommend a DA to finish it off to get it crystal clear. On another set of headlights I did recently I only used M105 with orange pad and M205 with white pad using PC 7424XP and it looked like I got much better results.

Shinycarz
06-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Which kit they have three of them.

There headlight and spot kit. 18940

Evan.J
06-06-2013, 07:01 PM
There headlight and spot kit. 18940

Thats a good kit. Are you using the air tools or by hand? if by hand have you thought about using a DA ?

Shinycarz
06-06-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't have a air tool yet. Never used one before. So I'm a little cautious about it. I do have a DA. I was going to see if it can be done by hand first. It's not that bad. It looks cloudy on the headlight. It's not yellow. But if you rub your fingers across it you can feel it.

Evan.J
06-06-2013, 08:08 PM
I don't have a air tool yet. Never used one before. So I'm a little cautious about it. I do have a DA. I was going to see if it can be done by hand first. It's not that bad. It looks cloudy on the headlight. It's not yellow. But if you rub your fingers across it you can feel it.

What was your process?

Shinycarz
06-06-2013, 08:31 PM
I haven't started yet. I just got it in the mail.

Evan.J
06-06-2013, 08:48 PM
here is a youtube video to watch. Though the are using the air tools everything still applies:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASoxoDLRl_c]Professional Headlight Kit Being Used on a Headlight! - YouTube[/video]

Elliott.lwy
06-06-2013, 10:06 PM
here is a youtube video to watch. Though the are using the air tools everything still applies:
Professional Headlight Kit Being Used on a Headlight! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASoxoDLRl_c)

Nice video. But does dry sanding in step 1 and 2 somehow damage the headlight coating? I have an experience using turtle headlight restore kit, but I was only wet sanding my headlight with the sand paper came with it.

cardaddy
06-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Got to say, I love the headlight and spot kit! Killer deal was had on that one, (especially after the 20% off). ;)

Sanding the outside of the light isn't going to hurt it as that is part of the process. If you have a total failure of the OEM exterior coating you'll have to sand it all to remove it. YES it'll look bad while you're doing it but that is part of the process.

You take your DA and start with 500 grit, 1000, 1500, 2000 and finally 3000 (wet sand all the way). If you want to skip a step between 1000 and 2000 that'll probably be fine. Same thing for 3000 actually if you're using the DA and foam pads along with 105 and 205 to polish it out.

Once that is done (the sanding) take the buffing pads and the DA and get down to business. Megs 105 will remove the 1500 grit sanding marks from polycarbonate if you use the cutting pads. If you've gone to 3000 grit you'll get it polished slick in no time. Do finish with 205, then use Plastix.

You WILL NEED TO SEAL IT after you are done. This is where you'll be best to get Opti-Lens and call it a day. It is said to be able to last the life of the lens, (although its still fairly new so we'll see).

hernandez.art13
06-07-2013, 02:24 AM
^ Would Menzerna Power Lock work as a sealant?

cardaddy
06-07-2013, 01:32 PM
^ Would Menzerna Power Lock work as a sealant?

Well a sealant is a sealant, but that is totally different when it comes to something lasting AND providing UV protection to bare polycarbonate. I'd suppose you could wax headlights with old fashion carnauba but you know how long that'd last.

That's why I've mentioned OL so much. For the money it is a bargain. Its advertised to be long lasting and permanent. Nothing else can make that claim. If you sign up with Chris @ Optimum you can get the 'pro' size and the cost per application is just a few bucks per pair. It is 4 times as much in the syringe btw. The end result (per application) is less than half what the 10ml size cost per application is. Considering the warranty hassle with them and applying anything else, it'd be a great selling point. IMHO of course and ymmv.

(That reminds me of something.... I've seen imho being described as In My Honest Opinion, but back when I started using it, in the 80's on online bbs boards it was In My Humble Opinion. Not that one versus another really means anything different.... just throwing that out there as when you see it from me THAT is what's rambling around in my head. And of course ymmv. ) ;)