PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean up MF pads?

Elliott.lwy
06-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Should I use compressed air? or do I need any pad cleaners? Thanks.

Pureshine
06-06-2013, 02:42 PM
I wash mine in woolite on the gentle cycle in cold water and let air dry.

Evan.J
06-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Compressed air hands down cleans out the spend products from deep in the fibers the best.

I have tried the condition brush but never got down deep to remove the spent product like the compressed air does.

After I just clean them with some light Tide on gentle.

RZJZA80
06-06-2013, 02:51 PM
What do you mean, between panels or between uses? Between panels, compressed air is what you want, between uses, I soak them in an APC/Water mixture and use the brush to agitate, then compressed air dry them.

Elliott.lwy
06-06-2013, 04:37 PM
What do you mean, between panels or between uses? Between panels, compressed air is what you want, between uses, I soak them in an APC/Water mixture and use the brush to agitate, then compressed air dry them.

Sorry I mean both. I heard people cleaning MF pads with compressed air, but I just don't know how it exactly works. :xyxthumbs: That helps tho... Thanks.

cardaddy
06-06-2013, 05:09 PM
This!
Cleaning Meguiars Microfibre Pads with Compressed Air - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=l3vwNuzfUMQ)

Note when watching the video that he spins the pad only in one direction. I will ALWAYS spin in both directions, and MORE THAN ONCE. May be that's just me, but hey... it works.

If you are working with MF pads you need to clean them CONSTANTLY! Clean after each section pass, or at least each section. Do NOT WAIT till you've completed a panel. Do each section, clean. Do another section, clean.

At the end of the day, everything is done, you can wash your pad(s). Washing by hand works just fine. If you've cleaned them well during the day however, I've seen them just tossed in bins and used for days before actually being washed.

The key with microfiber pads is DO NOT LET THEM BUILD UP HEAT! In the back of the pad they'll heat up. That heat is what destroys pads. Easy enough to just swap out to another pad and let the first one cool for a while. Swapping them out like that you'll be able to do an entire vehicle with just two. Being as they cool faster than foam you wont need as many. (Typically I'd warn against NEVER using less than 4 (minimum) foam pads to do a car. More like 6 makes me feel better.)

Elliott.lwy
06-06-2013, 06:10 PM
This!
Cleaning Meguiars Microfibre Pads with Compressed Air - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=l3vwNuzfUMQ)

Note when watching the video that he spins the pad only in one direction. I will ALWAYS spin in both directions, and MORE THAN ONCE. May be that's just me, but hey... it works.

If you are working with MF pads you need to clean them CONSTANTLY! Clean after each section pass, or at least each section. Do NOT WAIT till you've completed a panel. Do each section, clean. Do another section, clean.

At the end of the day, everything is done, you can wash your pad(s). Washing by hand works just fine. If you've cleaned them well during the day however, I've seen them just tossed in bins and used for days before actually being washed.

The key with microfiber pads is DO NOT LET THEM BUILD UP HEAT! In the back of the pad they'll heat up. That heat is what destroys pads. Easy enough to just swap out to another pad and let the first one cool for a while. Swapping them out like that you'll be able to do an entire vehicle with just two. Being as they cool faster than foam you wont need as many. (Typically I'd warn against NEVER using less than 4 (minimum) foam pads to do a car. More like 6 makes me feel better.)

:dblthumb2: Thanks. But how do I dry the pads at the end of the day? Should I dry it with compressed air like what it shows in the video? or Should I just dry it like a normal foam pad?