PDA

View Full Version : Necessary to dry 100% before polish?

PokeFan
06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Sorry, title may be a little misleading. I'm not talking about taking the DA to a dripping wet car. I've been washing using a bucket full of MF and ONR and drying until the MF no longer grabs and is slick on the paint. In an effort to cut down on time before I start detailing for others I've been trying to figure out how to speed things up a bit.

My normal routine is to:
1) wash with ONR soaked MF
2) Pull off majority of water with damp MF (which really only leaves very light spots and streaks)
3) buff until the paint is slick.

So my question is; If I'm planning to go back over it with a 1 Step AIO is it necessary to buff until the paint is slick or can I just apply my AIO and let it take care of the rest? I wasn't sure if that will just cause the AIO to have to work harder and be less effective or if there's so little left on the paint that it doesn't really make a difference.

After thought: Flawed thinking. I guess I won't have the luxury of working on cars that are being kept like I do mine. Most of these will probably need to be clayed first anyway which pretty much answers the question. So assuming this is my car that doesn't need to be clayed. Is a 100% drying step needed?

SonOfOC
06-06-2013, 10:54 AM
You lost me a little. After your ONR wash, you simply dry the vehicle. There is no buffing till slick part.

You can leave the streaks and water spots for the AIO, but the vehicle should be dry.

PokeFan
06-06-2013, 11:16 AM
You lost me a little. After your ONR wash, you simply dry the vehicle. There is no buffing till slick part.

You can leave the streaks and water spots for the AIO, but the vehicle should be dry.

When I dry with a damp MF it still leaves a bit of water behind of which I usually take off with a dry MF if I'm not going back with an ID or spray wax. This usually takes a little bit of buffing to get 100% dry, that's what I meant by "buffing till slick"

Thanks though, the last bit was what I was after. :xyxthumbs: Even though I'm sure I won't have that luxury on most vehicles considering they'll probably have to be clayed first anyway.