PDA

View Full Version : Need help in choosing a new da polisher

Pages : [1] 2

turbogsxr600
06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
I currently have a Porter Cable with a ton of 6.5 inch pads. I'm trying to decide between the Rupes or the Flex DA. Most of the cars I detail are paint corrections. They are usually BMW's, Mercedes, ect as I live in a pretty upscale area. Correcting paint just takes too long with the PC and sometimes full corrections are almost impossible. With that being said I can't decide which DA choose. I hear good and bad things about both. Another thing I'm not sure of is whether to go with the Rupes 21 or 15? I have also heard that the Rupes will destroy other pads except for there's and I was also concerned that it was not forced rotation, because my porter cable stops every time I apply pressure. Which DA is the best for correcting paint most efficiently? Any information would be greatly appreciated thanks

Pureshine
06-06-2013, 11:42 AM
If you go with the Rupes I would get the 21 it covers a larger area to cut time down. I have the 21 works very well and saves me a lot of time on larger panels. I use MF pads with the Rupes with no problems at all. I've used a PC for a long time and I can get full paint correction no problem. The reason I change to the Rupes was it cuts my time by 30%.

hernandez.art13
06-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Pureshine, I have the PC.

My question is with the combo of PC and 5.5" pads, and Rupes 21.
Time could be greatly decreased and the jobs still get done right?

At Detailing in Irvine, Ca
I asked them if MF pads are ok to use with the Rupes and they said "yes"
Because that is what they had on the machine.

So sticking to the pads Rupes sells is not necessary guys when you go with MF pads. (Don't remember which ones they recommended)

I am just going to go in person when when I go (finally) purchase the Rupes.

erichaley
06-06-2013, 12:01 PM
If you're concerned about pad rotation, then, in my opinion, the Flex is the way to go. You'll also be able to use all of your pads right out of the box. I bought one a few weeks ago and have repeatedly kicked myself for not buying it sooner! Not to say that the Rupes is a bad way to go though, but since you list pad rotation as a concern...

Evan.J
06-06-2013, 12:01 PM
If you go with the Rupes I would get the 21 it covers a larger area to cut time down. I have the 21 works very well and saves me a lot of time on larger panels. I use MF pads with the Rupes with no problems at all. I've used a PC for a long time and I can get full paint correction no problem. The reason I change to the Rupes was it cuts my time by 30%.

I agree! And you can get the 15 BP and use it with the 21 :props:

The Rupes has a large throw and very little pressure is needed on the head on the polished.

hernandez.art13
06-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I used the Flex and Rupes back to back.
Both machines worked great, but the Rupes was the winner. IMO (In My Opinion)

Either one will get the job done however. With the right skill/technique a Rotary will do the job also IMO

hernandez.art13
06-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Is your Rupes modded pure shine?

turbogsxr600
06-06-2013, 01:18 PM
I used the Flex and Rupes back to back.
Both machines worked great, but the Rupes was the winner. IMO (In My Opinion)

Either one will get the job done however. With the right skill/technique a Rotary will do the job also IMO

Why do you prefer the Rupes over the Flex? Also does anyone use Lake country pads on the Rupes?

Evan.J
06-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Turbogsxr,

What is your main concerns for your future machine? What type of work will you be doing? What are the bad things that you have heard about the machines that you are concerned about?

There is a lot of information out there so helping you clear things up may help you better choose your machine.

hernandez.art13
06-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Why do you prefer the Rupes over the Flex? Also does anyone use Lake country pads on the Rupes?

It just made "buffing" so much easier and joyful.

I can work with a Dewalt and a wool pad with NP.

The flex however had that pull or kick to it. (Not sure the right wording)

But the best way I can describe The Rupes, is smooth as butter.

turbogsxr600
06-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Turbogsxr,

What is your main concerns for your future machine? What type of work will you be doing? What are the bad things that you have heard about the machines that you are concerned about?

There is a lot of information out there so helping you clear things up may help you better choose your machine.

The only bad things I have heard about the Rupe's was that pad rotation can be an issue since its not direct drive and that it destroys pads except for their brand because of the longer throw. But from what I read everyone seems to say it corrects better than the Flex..? I guess I want to understand how it can correct so well when it's not direct drive like the flex? I work on high-end cars so I still want something safe and something that's able to correct paint faster than the PC. With 6.5 inch pads on the PC I find it seems to constantly stop spinning when I'm trying to do any kind of tough correction.

Wheelzntoys
06-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Corrects well because of the bigger throw versus regular DA

turbogsxr600
06-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Corrects well because of the bigger throw versus regular DA

So you don't need to apply as much pressure?

Pureshine
06-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Is your Rupes modded pure shine?

Yes and now that Phil at DD showed me how to change the cord I'm going todo that to I think.

Pureshine
06-06-2013, 02:06 PM
The only bad things I have heard about the Rupe's was that pad rotation can be an issue since its not direct drive and that it destroys pads except for their brand because of the longer throw. But from what I read everyone seems to say it corrects better than the Flex..? I guess I want to understand how it can correct so well when it's not direct drive like the flex? I work on high-end cars so I still want something safe and something that's able to correct paint faster than the PC. With 6.5 inch pads on the PC I find it seems to constantly stop spinning when I'm trying to do any kind of tough correction.

The PC works better with the 5 inch pads I have never used the 6.5 pads on the PC.