PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding using tarminator

falcon7xx
06-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Someone mentioned to me on another post not to use Tarmintor on plastic trim. I have a good amount of plastic trim on the front of my car with bugs on it. Does anyone have a problem with using this product on plastic trim. I just don't want to mess up the trim on my car.

FUNX650
06-05-2013, 06:06 PM
From the label:

"Tarminator can be used safely on painted surfaces, chrome, and automotive trim when used as directed.

-It is a powerful cleaner however, which can be harmful to some plastics, adhesives, decals, or solvent-sensitive materials.

-Do not use on bare metal or uncoated wheels.

-Before using, always test for compatibility in a small out of sight area.

-Avoid over application which can run and drip onto sensitive materials".
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

The: "Someone"...that mentioned to you on another post not to use Tarmintor on plastic trim,
was probably like me: Quite leery about using Tarminator on exterior/interior plastics.

Point being: There are so many different "types" of plastics being used for/on/in autos today.
So...Why take the chance?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Just my tuppence worth.

:)

Bob

falcon7xx
06-05-2013, 07:24 PM
What is the best way to remove bugs off of exteriors plastics if you do not recommend using tarminator on plastics. I just want to get the bugs off without damaging anything

af90
06-05-2013, 07:46 PM
What is the best way to remove bugs off of exteriors plastics if you do not recommend using tarminator on plastics. I just want to get the bugs off without damaging anythingDiluted APC will probably give you good results.

poweraid
06-05-2013, 07:52 PM
1z anti insekt , pb bug squash , dg bug remover

PiPUK
06-06-2013, 03:21 AM
The avoidance of unpainted plastics is somewhat routine with proper tar removers. There are some on the market (Autoglym do one - you guys have autoglym, right?) which are pretty safe but they tend then to be a bit slower and less effective.

For bug removal, solvent based products are a total waste of time. All purpose cleaner and a suitable dilution will do the job just fine.

BillE
06-06-2013, 07:06 AM
What is the best way to remove bugs off of exteriors plastics if you do not recommend using tarminator on plastics. I just want to get the bugs off without damaging anything

Saturate the area with 'soapy water' (APC, car wash, etc.), that should really help to loosen the bug guts. A 'white back' (3M white pad) sponge can be very helpful...just don't get to heavy handed-could cause some marring.

Bill

falcon7xx
06-06-2013, 10:38 AM
This is going to sound like a newb question, but does apc stand for all purpose cleaner?

Bunky
06-06-2013, 10:40 AM
This is going to sound like a newb question, but does apc stand for all purpose cleaner?

Yes it means all purpose cleaner is a generic term for multi-purpose cleaners so not all purpose cleaners are safe on all surfaces so you have to be sure you know which are not safe (often aluminum since it is reactive).

falcon7xx
06-06-2013, 11:04 AM
How can i tell its safe? If it doesnt have aluminum then it is safe?

I have the optimum power clean APC