PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen vs. air...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Lexi65
06-05-2013, 01:05 PM
for tires? Feed back please

c8n
06-05-2013, 01:07 PM
I was curious to this as well as the dealer filled my tires with nitrogen.
Can nitrogen be mixed with air?

Evan.J
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
70% of the air we breathe is nitrogen. Don't waste your money IMO

c8n
06-05-2013, 01:10 PM
^ stupid me... never thought of it that way

PokeFan
06-05-2013, 01:14 PM
I prefer Nitrogen myself. Is there a measurable difference from the quality of ride stand point? No, not really. Evan is right, 70% or our air is nitrogen. The problem however is filling with crappy gas station air that could possibly have a high concentration of water from humidity. If you aren't careful you could possibly end up with a tire full of water. Another small benefit is you don't get pressure change from hot to cold, meaning if your tire is holding air you don't have to worry about them getting low when it's cold or risk over pressuring when they warm up.

They're all little things that in the scheme of things really don't matter that much though. It's all going to come down to personal preference really.

DaHen
06-05-2013, 01:31 PM
When I bought four new tires a couple of weeks ago, the dealer offered to use nitrogen. I figured, sure, why not.....
Didn't see it listed on the bill, but am sure I paid for it one way or another, lol.

Saluki2003
06-05-2013, 02:34 PM
The main benefit from the N is that you're not putting any water from the humidity into your tires.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AG Online

Angus
06-05-2013, 02:36 PM
I agree with PokeFan. I've had nitrogen in my garage queens low profile tires for years - the loss of psi is very minimal. The mechanic I use tops off for free (after the initial $$ fill) so it's not a big deal. The lack of pressure change is worth it IMO.

Dogfather
06-05-2013, 02:42 PM
I read in Car & Driver that it wasn't worth it. Unfortunately I can't recall the rationale.
I don't think they took into account GQs.

slimnib
06-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Do not do it. It is not worth the money. Does nothing. All hype nonsense.

PokeFan
06-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Do not do it. It is not worth the money. Does nothing. All hype nonsense.

I'd have to agree if you're paying for it it's not worth it really. This thread has shed new light for me. The tire shop here in town fills for free and I just assumed this was standard practice. You may ask around locally and see if anyone does it for free but I wouldn't pay anyone $7 to put air in a single tire.

rdhamill
06-05-2013, 04:24 PM
I believe that for the most part the biggest advantage to adding nitrogen to tires is for the installers coffers.
The advantage to the car owner is with a constant tire pressure.
Any fuel mileage gains or tire life gains are mitigated by the cost of the nitrogen.
Having said that, I would put it in a tire that was going to last for years, but not in my truck tires, which are worn out in 6 months.

nissenc1337
06-05-2013, 04:36 PM
If you can get it for free do it, the only real advantage is in the colder months. Nitrogen is not as affected by the drop in temperature.

SonOfOC
06-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Nitrogen is worth every penny if you take your car or motorcycle to the race track.

As it pertains to tire PSI and moisture, nitrogen is more stable than air, but it is a little more involved to do it right by purging out the existing air.

The way that most tire shops fill with nitrogen will leave a substantial amount of air, albeit 80% nitrogen air still in the tire. You must purge the existing air to truly attain a complete nitrogen fill.

ScottB
06-05-2013, 05:13 PM
I have noticed over the past year the pressure has remained much more constant with Nitro-Air. And no I didn't pay for it.