PDA

View Full Version : Wnating Tool Box Polishing Suggestions

Wisconian
06-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Wanting not wnating...

Hello all, I recently splurged and bought myself an upper and lower Husky 40 in extra deep tool cabinet after having worked out of a much smaller Craftsman upper and lower loaded to the gills for many many years. I beat the hell out of the old Craftsman as I do automotive side work and wrench as a hobby, so my new Husky is in night and day better condition and I would like to keep it that way.

I would like to maintain my investment the best I can and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/tips/specific products they might use or have had success with. I saw an all in one kit by Flitz on here that looked promising.

Thanks everyone!

erichaley
06-05-2013, 02:29 PM
If the paint is like some other tool boxes, you may not have much paint to polish. I recently received my paint thickness gauge and wanted to check the thickness of various coatings around my garage. To my surprise, my Craftsman tool chest was the thinnest by far at something like 15 microns (I don't remember the exact number, but I can check again when I get home).

If this is the case with your tool box, anything stronger than a light polish applied (by hand only) is going to eat away at those precious few microns. I'd venture to say that using a DA or rotary polisher is out of the question for anything other than applying non-abrasive products such as waxes and sealants.

That being said, I don't see why you couldn't apply just about any of the waxes and sealants AG sells for use on automotive paint. The paint on your tool box should be similar if not the same.

BTW, congrats on your new purchase! I'm jealous!!

Wisconian
06-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the input! Will definitely avoid applying the polisher and venture by hand with this one. It is still new literally having never been wheeled into my home shop yet as I am just wrapping up the remodeling/painting of my 2.5 attached. It has sat in my formal living room for about 2 months now and is begging for some use.

I got an amazing deal on it, so I am assuming the cost savings from the manufacturer was attained through using thinner gauge sheet metal and paint coating thickness. Either way it is still a HUGE improvement over having limited drawers stacked 3 tool rows deep.

I am ordering some waxes for my Mustang and I can perhaps just utilize them for my box as well.

Mike Phillips
06-06-2013, 07:32 AM
You mean something like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/5c/5cb4d7ad-6910-431f-81cf-9769e3f8369c_300.jpg

Or this?

http://images.hoodbiz.org/nlarge/tool_box_24071115.jpg

:dunno:

swanicyouth
06-06-2013, 07:53 AM
What I have is no where near as nice as yours, but I use a paint cleaner (works well) by hand and Poor Boys Sealant. For some reason, liquid wax seems better, probably because its easier to do the front of the drawers.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/06/synuquty.jpg

erichaley
06-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Correction: the paint thickness on my Craftsman tool cabinet (similar to swanicyouth's) ranges from 45-50 microns.

Wisconian
06-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Right on, its the same Husky box with the ball bearing drawers that seemed finicky while empty, but when loaded down they open and close with the use of barely a pinky. The cheapskate in me was stuggling with coughing up the dough for the Craftsman $1,300 griplatch box my heart desired, even though I would absolutely use the hell out of it.

The Husky boxes are a good value for sure, no complaints so far. I do not have a paint thickness gauge but I am betting the paint thickness is where Husky likely saved manfacturing money.

Will see what a (light) polish does for it asthetically and post results.