PDA

View Full Version : Polishing speed

DogRescuer
06-05-2013, 05:53 AM
Feed back please Hi guys thanks for not laughing at the "tape mistake". Can you suggest some proper DA speeds, my hood came out great I:

Clayed
Polished M205 Speed 4-5
IPA
Sealed M21 Speed 4-5
It came out good, any tips on speeds? Also any thoughts on me putting a coat of paste wax over my sealant after it has cured, Id like more POP. Thanks for all your help always.

lawrenceSA
06-05-2013, 06:25 AM
I don't know that there is a 'one size fits all' definitive answer, but as a rough guideline, I use the following speeds on my Porter Cable DA

Cutting/Compounding 5 to 5.5 (I find speed 6 creates more dusting)
Polishing 4 to 5
Application of blacklight 3 to 4
LSP's 3

Of course pad size will also play into effect - i.e. when using a 4" pad I will lower all the above speeds slightly.

I hope this helps and am sure the more experienced guys will chime in

Evan.J
06-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Wax or sealant application should be done at speed 1-2 mabye 3 but I always stay at 2. Everything else looks good.

You can add a wax over the sealant to add more prptection thats no problem at all!

Mike Phillips
06-05-2013, 07:42 AM
When using the PC or the Meguiar's G110v2 I use the 4 setting for applying waxes and paint sealant.

While you don't NEED the pad to rotate for applying a non-cleaning LSP it does help the pad to glide over the surface easier. At low speeds it seems like when you try to move the polisher forward the pad lags behind.

Not a big deal but after Mike Pennington told me this about 6 years ago I tried it and found I agreed with him.

On the Griot's set the speed to 3...

Just to note, the above is for applying your LSP after doing all the correction work. Anytime you're using a one-step cleaner/wax or one-step cleaner/sealant you would be back up to the high speeds and apply these types of products like you would a compound or polish when doing correction work as you are doing correction work when using a cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant.

You want and need the pad rotating to engage the abrasives, (if any), or the chemical cleaners, (if any), with the paint to do whatever correction is possible with the product of your choice.

Pad choice is important to, try to always use a polishing pad when using a one-step product as a more aggressive pad can leave micro-marring and defeat the purpose of trying to only do one step.

Make sense?

:)

c8n
06-05-2013, 07:45 AM
A test spot and what you are trying to accomplish should determine the speed and the pressure applied when using M205.

M205 has little bit of cut so if I am trying to take out light defects on my car, I usually go with LC CCS orange and bump up the speed to 5 with good amount of pressure. If I am just looking add some gloss, I use the grey pads with little to no pressure on speed 3.

I have not tried M21 but some wax/sealants are bit denser. With Meg's ULW, speed 3 does the job fine but when I use Wolfgang DGPS 3.0, I bump up the speed to 4.

vet
06-05-2013, 07:52 AM
I usually put a coat of Max Wax on the day after I put Poliseal on. It's the optional gold paint... Not a lot of reflection, but it has a nice glow. Mama gets a lot of compliments on it. It helps that the plastic cladding and trim isn't faded. One guy even wanted to buy it.

Evan.J
06-05-2013, 07:57 AM
When using the PC or the Meguiar's G110v2 I use the 4 setting for applying waxes and paint sealant.

:)

I stand corrected. :xyxthumbs:

DogRescuer
06-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks to all you!