PDA

View Full Version : How to assess current paint condition?

carrrs
06-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Hi all. Newbie here. Must say this site is addictive and have learned so much. However, at this point have more questions than answers. Here is one. 02 white Camry that has been neglected but looking to correct that. Have decided on the XMT compound/polish series, claying, etc.....but my question is I am sure a subjective one, but how do you assess the current paint condition and decide what level of correction to start with? As this site emphasizes, the least amount of aggression to correct the problem. But how does one know just where that is? My best guess at this point is XMT #3 and work from there. Feed back please Thank you in advance.

Evan.J
06-04-2013, 07:56 AM
You can find your answer in this article

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/38689-what-condition-paint-your-vehicles.html

carrrs
06-04-2013, 08:15 AM
thanks for the referral.

lawrenceSA
06-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Also, when performing any type of paint correction or polishing you should always use the least aggressive method first, so start out with the least aggressive combo of pad and polish you have and perform a test spot.

If the test spot yields sufficient correction then there is no need to proceed in removing any more clear coat. If however you are still not satisfied with the level of correction, then try your next most aggressive polish/pad combo, and repeat until you find a combo with sufficient cut to remove the damage you want out.

This does of course work on the premise that you have a variety of polish/pads combos of varying 'aggressiveness' to perform your test spots with.

Or are you trying to ascertain which products/pads to get, based on the condition of your paint?

carrrs
06-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Thank you Lawrence. I have a pretty good handle on the products available to do different things based on the condition of your paint and clear coat. But what I was looking for was perhaps some guidance on based on looking at the paint, which category to place it in so as to know which product/pads, etc. to start with. But I have found that in an article by Mike Phillips. Ready to start now. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Mike Phillips
06-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Take a look at this thread as it walks you through everything you want to do in the order for each of the steps...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

:)