PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Seal separating...any way to save it?

hooked
06-03-2013, 08:44 PM
I bought a 32oz bottle of the new formula Poli-Seal last year. I've used it a couple of times and it's been stored in the garage here in S. Florida, so it gets pretty hot. It's been a while since I used it last (yes, I know, shame on me) and now it's separated. There is a bright yellow fluid and off-white lumps that looks like cottage cheese. I tried shaking up the bottle, but that didn't help. Is there anyway to salvage this?

The thing is, this is the second bottle of Opti-Seal that has separated. The first one I bought a few years ago, and I used that one more often. After a couple of years, it started separating as well.

I've loved all of the Optimum products that I've tried, but if Opti-Seal is going to give me problems being stored in the garage (my wife would kill me if I moved my detailing products into the house), then I'll have to try something else as my AIO sealant. Any recommendations? I generally use Opti-Seal after a light polishing session for my daily driver if it's been a while or by itself for those in-between times. I like the working time and the reduced dusting.

Dogfather
06-03-2013, 08:59 PM
You mean Poli-Seal. Right?

swanicyouth
06-03-2013, 09:03 PM
I just had GPS separate. It looked horrible. It looked like water with fat globs floating in it. I shook the crap out of it and it returns for a day or so. I guess that means whatever is in it emulsifying it is getting used up.

hooked
06-03-2013, 10:27 PM
You mean Poli-Seal. Right?

Aww, man. Yes, it's Poli-Seal. How do I edit the Post Title?

Ron Atchison
06-03-2013, 11:12 PM
It will re-mix but will take a lot of shaking. Better option is to use some type of mixing tool. You can make a whip out of a wire coat hanger and using a drill mix it in it's original bottle. Or option 2, put it into another container/ bowl use a cake mixer or wire wisk to mix it then return it to the bottle. Option 2 is a better easier choice.

conthedon
06-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Sometimes its beyond the point of shakin and you can follow thr above advice of whip it, whip it good. Also for the future you should occasionally shake the bottle to help prevent seperation and put opti seal in an 8oz squeeze bottle, it makes it hardr to seperate (or takes longer) imo.

CrayBrown
06-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Mine did that and I just shook the mess out of it really good. I've yet to have any problems. 3 applications since separation.

hooked
06-04-2013, 11:11 PM
I was able to salvage it! I shook and shook it in short bursts, but it wouldn't combine. Finally, I just kept shaking it and didn't stop until it suddenly didn't sound slushy anymore. At that point, the liquid and the mush had finally merged to form a paste.

Thanks for the help.

PiPUK
06-05-2013, 02:45 AM
Make sure to report it to Optimum. This sort of thing should not happen and they will be interested to know and whether you had any unusual storage conditions. If they don't know it went wrong, they cannot look into making a fix that will stop it in future.