Car: 2013 Toyota Prius - Black - New
Interior: Dark Grey Cloth

Current Products:
Klasse all in one
Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax
Meguiar's Plast-X Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish
Walmart Microfiber towels
Large California Duster

I have a few questions here - with the goal of keeping my car looking new and putting a good layer of protection on it. This is my first black car, but my cars have always stayed looking new because of the amount of care I put forward.

#1 Should I use the products I have on my car? Anything bad about them?

#2 What other products do you recommend for my interior(dash/trim) and my exterior trim to keep them protected from the sun and looking new

#3 any way to keep that new car smell for as long as I can?

#4 are the 3M scotch-guard protectants worth it? Does they really do a good job protecting?

Some things to keep in mind are that I do everything by hand with soap, water and 2 buckets - no grit guards.

#5 do i need to invest in these?

#6 is a foamer worth it? (anyone try a miracle grow container? - its cheap:dblthumb2:)

#7 what kind of sponge should i get?

Thanks in advance!

ski2
06-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Hello everyone! First time poster here.

Car: 2013 Toyota Prius - Black - New
Interior: Dark Grey Cloth

Current Products:
Klasse all in one
Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax
Meguiar's Plast-X Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish
Walmart Microfiber towelsBe careful with these--test on an old CD to see if they scratch
Large California Duster Be really careful with this if you use it at all. If you must only when the car has a good coat of protection on it and only for light dust--use NO pressure.

I have a few questions here - with the goal of keeping my car looking new and putting a good layer of protection on it. This is my first black car, but my cars have always stayed looking new because of the amount of care I put forward.

#1 Should I use the products I have on my car? Anything bad about them?
MLW is a great product, but on my wife's black VW I use Collinite 476--looks fantastic and lasts for 6 months--don't want to touch it any more often than necessary.

#2 What other products do you recommend for my interior(dash/trim) and my exterior trim to keep them protected from the sun and looking new
For interior trim can't beat Optimum Protectant for ease of use and UV protection. For exterior trim there are allot of good products but can't make a recommendation as I use something not sold here.

#3 any way to keep that new car smell for as long as I can?
There are some canned products with "New Car Smell" that are OK but not like that real new car smell.

#4 are the 3M scotch-guard protectants worth it? Does they really do a good job protecting?
IMO the 303 fabric protectant does a better job.

Some things to keep in mind are that I do everything by hand with soap, water and 2 buckets - no grit guards. Hope you're using car soap!!

#5 do i need to invest in these?
Yes, well worth the $20 for two.

#6 is a foamer worth it? (anyone try a miracle grow container? - its cheap:dblthumb2:)
MG sprayer won't foam. You can always just rinse off the car with a pressure washer before you start your wash to remove gritty dirt.

#7 what kind of sponge should i get?
I don't like a sponge especially for Black. Look at the CarPro Sheepskin wash mitt--only $20 and a fantastic product--hand pocket allows you to glide the mitt over the surface with little to no pressure.

Thanks in advance!

All are IMO--I'm sure you'll get a ton of recommendations.

Evan.J
06-03-2013, 04:13 PM
My answers to your question:

1. I see no reason why not. All those are quality products except the Cali duster and Walmart towels. Invest in high quality soft lush MF towels this will save you much aggravation in the long run.

2. I use Meg Quik Interior detailer (bulk version) and I have no issues. leave no shine cleans well and gives a nice natural look. Exterior I use Megs Hyperdressing.

3. Just keep your interior clean as possible.

4. I too would go with 303!

5. Get your two buckets get your grit guards get you MF wash mitts and MF waffle weave drying towels. You now have a black car the most unforgive color on the market. Black shows everything so you need to take every precaution with dealing with black.

6. I have one and I love it easy to use foams great. I use it as pre rinse and along with my 2 bucket wash.

7. Get MF wash mitts or sheep skin ones. Anything that is soft.

These are all from my experiences with black cars as I have 2 and my GF just got one :awman:

Another suggestion I may make to you is that id you are going to get a DA polisher in the near further do so and then get Opti-coat 2.0. I just did this to my GF car and I think its a great idea for anyone looking to keep the car looking new.

dlo13
06-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Do you need grit guards in both buckets?

Any microfiber specific recommendations? - i almost went for the 36 pack at costco.

And should i be putting the klasse on day one? Or just get a good coat or 2 of my ultimate liquid wax?

Evan.J
06-03-2013, 08:13 PM

Any microfiber specific recommendations? - i almost went for the 36 pack at costco.

And should i be putting the klasse on day one? Or just get a good coat or 2 of my ultimate liquid wax?

I used them in both but that's me.

Any MF towels at AG are great and lots like the microfiber tech towels as well. Chemical guys seem to have good ones. I know Swanicyouth could tell you more on those.

Two coats of the wax would be fine.

dlo13
06-04-2013, 02:18 AM
So im looking at....

Chemical Guys 16x24 MIC_507_06 Premium Silk Banded Towel (6)

Chemical Guys TVD_102_16 New Car High Shine Premium Interior/Exterior Shine Dressing

Chemical Guys MIC_493 Chenille Microfiber Premium Scratch free wash Mitt

11" water blade

Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer

303 High Tech Fabric Guard with Water Repellant

1 Grit Guard

Evan.J
06-04-2013, 05:06 AM
I wouldn't do the water blade either. If you get a piece of dirt stuck in between the blade and the paint then your going to get scratches. Better off sticking to the microfiber waffle weave towels.

dlo13
06-04-2013, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't do the water blade either. If you get a piece of dirt stuck in between the blade and the paint then your going to get scratches. Better off sticking to the microfiber waffle weave towels.

Makes sense. I usually take my car for a drive around the block rather quickly - w/ a prius i assume it will get her pretty close to dry.

I really want to know which product is best for the exterior black trim - to keep it looking black black.

TundraPower
06-04-2013, 12:33 PM

I use the 36 pack from Costco for non-premium stuff all the time, very good for that price range.

dlo13
06-04-2013, 01:24 PM
I use the 36 pack from Costco for non-premium stuff all the time, very good for that price range.
Seems like i could use them on everything but the paint and they would do an exceptional job.

tach18k
06-04-2013, 01:53 PM
I have the same car in a 2012. If it is a daily driver, it may require more work. The Prius paint is very soft, so looking at it will cause issues. I drive mine 90 miles a day, mostly freeway, so I got pitting on the front, and the primer is white. Get real good towels, use the other ones for the door jams and for laying under the rear hatch to catch the run off when your done washing. Be gentle and get a very soft washing mitt,

dlo13
06-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I have the same car in a 2012. If it is a daily driver, it may require more work. The Prius paint is very soft, so looking at it will cause issues. I drive mine 90 miles a day, mostly freeway, so I got pitting on the front, and the primer is white. Get real good towels, use the other ones for the door jams and for laying under the rear hatch to catch the run off when your done washing. Be gentle and get a very soft washing mitt,

I drive 70 miles a day as well in socal on the 405/110/710 freeways.
If the paint is really that soft, toyota is very good about their warranty. Take it to them. ESPECIALLY if you are taking good care of the paint. My father worked for toyota for 20 years - they are very good to customers.

TundraPower
06-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Seems like i could use them on everything but the paint and they would do an exceptional job.

They do for me. It's easy to get caught up in the microfiber game. Unless you're removing clay, polish, or wax residue there is no reason to spend a fortune on them.