PDA

View Full Version : How to restore a MATTE finish ?!?

k2krafty1
06-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Hello, over the weekend I was cleaning my matte finish with soap and water as I usually do. After the wash there was a stubborn piece of road sap that would not come off. I did what I normally would do on a regular paint job and put some meguiars step 1 paint cleaner to take it off... BIG MISTAKE. The sap came off fine but I lost my matte finish. Please help- is there any way to get it back? Some sort of a paint prep chemical or something I can do? Thanks

Mike Phillips
06-03-2013, 10:45 AM
First, welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

You'll find a lot of helpful and friendly people here of high caliber... :dblthumb2:

Hello, over the weekend I was cleaning my matte finish with soap and water as I usually do. After the wash there was a stubborn piece of road sap that would not come off.

I did what I normally would do on a regular paint job and put some Meguiars step 1 paint cleaner to take it off... BIG MISTAKE.

The sap came off fine but I lost my matte finish.

Please help- is there any way to get it back? Some sort of a paint prep chemical or something I can do? Thanks

When you say you lost the matte finish can you describe in detail what you're seeing, for example...

Is the area now stained the color of Meguiar's Paint Cleaner?

Or

Is the area now shiny and glossy making it stand out like a sore thumb?

:)

k2krafty1
06-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Mike. Yes the patch is now glossy and sticks out. Even my wife noticed it- ouch haha.

Mike Phillips
06-03-2013, 10:48 AM
For your watching pleasure, here's the link to a video where we restored the single stage paint on a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 and along with it the matte black stripes and louvers...

Video and Pictures - 1970 Mustang Mach 1 Detailing Clinic at AutogeekOnline.net (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/51494-video-pictures-1970-mustang-detailing-clinic-autogeekonline-net.html)

Video from the Live Broadcast - 1970 Mustang Mach 1

1970 Mustang Mach 1 - How to polish single stage...

I forget what we used on the matte black but if you watch the video I'm sure I share the product and show the application method.

Mike Phillips
06-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Mike. Yes the patch is now glossy and sticks out. Even my wife noticed it- ouch haha.

Okay... next question... what's it on?

Can you post a picture?

:dblthumb2:

k2krafty1
06-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Hey Mike, great video! The part starts at around 48:00 mins or so. You used a product called: Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. I priced it at around $25.00 on line at your store. I will give it a try. The only other thing I was wondering is there any product to remove wax, that might also take out that shine I put in by mistake?

Mike Phillips
06-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Hey Mike, great video! The part starts at around 48:00 mins or so. You used a product called: Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. I priced it at around $25.00 on line at your store. I will give it a try. The only other thing I was wondering is there any product to remove wax, that might also take out that shine I put in by mistake?

I have a friend in the pro detailing world that I "think" has a technique for working on matte finishes that addresses all types of issues.

I'll send him the link to this thread and ask him to chime in...

Hang tight... he's a busy guy...

k2krafty1
06-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Okay... next question... what's it on?

Can you post a picture?

:dblthumb2:

Just saw your question- I was able to snap a pic: http://i42.tinypic.com/9an1xt.jpg
It's actually on the frame of my bike.

k2krafty1
06-03-2013, 11:46 AM
I have a friend in the pro detailing world that I "think" has a technique for working on matte finishes that addresses all types of issues.

I'll send him the link to this thread and ask him to chime in...

Hang tight... he's a busy guy...

Thanks Mike. Much appreciated :)

AeroCleanse
06-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Hello, over the weekend I was cleaning my matte finish with soap and water as I usually do. After the wash there was a stubborn piece of road sap that would not come off. I did what I normally would do on a regular paint job and put some meguiars step 1 paint cleaner to take it off... BIG MISTAKE. The sap came off fine but I lost my matte finish. Please help- is there any way to get it back? Some sort of a paint prep chemical or something I can do? Thanks

BMW had something on this for the frost or something matt finish. They said never to polish it because if you did then the section would have to be repainted back to matt.

Not sure if you can fix it without repainting it matt. Next time try just using a clay bar.

FUNX650
06-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Next time try just using a clay bar.
JMO...
I believe that since auto-clays have abrasives in their formulations,
that it would be wise not to use them on matte finishes.
In fact...
Some clay "lubes", themselves, may cause irreparable-'harm' to matte-finishes.

Not that the following is of immediate assistance to the OP regarding his matte restoration query...But:
Nanolex, Dr. Beasley's, Swissvax, and Chemical Guys have dedicated products for the care of matte finishes.

More car-care companies, no doubt, will soon be coming aboard with their own versions of matte-care products.

Bob

Mike Phillips
06-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Thanks Mike. Much appreciated :)

Check your PM's...

Not sure if you can fix it without repainting it matt.

My friend Lenny does a lot of work on BMW's and he says he has techniques dialed-in for actually working on matte finishes. I have not seen these techniques but Lenny's word is as good as gold. The same Lenny House (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/62084-mike-phillips-vif-vehicle-inspection-form.html) I talk about here...

hernandez.art13
06-04-2013, 11:09 AM
BMW had something on this for the frost or something matt finish. They said never to polish it because if you did then the section would have to be repainted back to matt.

Not sure if you can fix it without repainting it matt. Next time try just using a clay bar.

I saw this video and BMW said that the only way to fix this, is to repaint it all over again.

hernandez.art13
06-04-2013, 11:12 AM
http://youtu.be/fZUzvhhyGR8

Drive Clean is an amazing show!

He even brings up Mike Phillips on one of his shows, he gives him credit.

puma1824
06-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Check your PM's...

My friend Lenny does a lot of work on BMW's and he says he has techniques dialed-in for actually working on matte finishes. I have not seen these techniques but Lenny's word is as good as gold. The same Lenny House (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/62084-mike-phillips-vif-vehicle-inspection-form.html) I talk about here...

Anyway you can PM me as well on how to restore a Matte finish? I'm in the same situation.

Thanks in advance.