PDA

View Full Version : Question about headlight restoration

Dorian
06-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Hi All,

I recently used the 3M headlight restoration kit on my 2000 Lexus ES300 headlamps. They turned out PHENOMENAL. I can't believe how good they look. I read that some people said that if you "restore" them they turn yellow much faster than before because you remove a "protective layer." Can anyone confirm this? If so is there a way to restore the protective layer?

My headlights weren't that bad, the car has 60k miles on it but they weren't great either. At the moment they look super!

FFguy808
06-03-2013, 01:44 AM
It will yellow faster "if" the original clearcoat has been remove and re-sealed with a sealant with a bad durability. Opti-Coat is what i've been using and has been great. Also, the new Opti-Lens will surely satify you.

Rsurfer
06-03-2013, 02:03 AM
Opti Lens has more UV protection than OC and should last as long as your lens.

hernandez.art13
06-03-2013, 02:30 AM
If the headlight restoration was done to a customer's car. Would you guys recommend Opti Lens or some kind of sealant?

Evan.J
06-03-2013, 05:27 AM
It will yellow faster "if" the original clearcoat has been remove and re-sealed with a sealant with a bad durability. Opti-Coat is what i've been using and has been great. Also, the new Opti-Lens will surely satify you.

Opti Lens has more UV protection than OC and should last as long as your lens.

I agree completely with them.

Once the outer layer is removed applying a UV protectant is key to keeping your headlights looking good for a long period of time.

sproketser
06-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Thanx for tips mates , will be handy .

Dorian
06-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone, I ordered some optilens. I am glad that this wasn't one of those things where I would have been better off leaving it alone.

Rsurfer
06-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone, I ordered some optilens. I am glad that this wasn't one of those things where I would have been better off leaving it alone.
You won't regret it.:xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
06-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Opti-Lens is GREAT!! Make sure the surface has been stripped and is completely clean before applying!

cardaddy
06-03-2013, 09:59 PM
If the headlight restoration was done to a customer's car. Would you guys recommend Opti Lens or some kind of sealant?

YES to Opti-Lens.
Not sure what you meant about "some kind of sealant".
Most OTC headlight restoration products do great to buff the lights but don't address what to do once you've removed all the OEM coating. Meguiar's gives you a product that they CALL a sealant or protectant and it has some sort of restorative UV protection but its very similar to sun tan lotion. I don't see it lasting very long at all. It does seem to do something to the lights as I've noticed every time I've used it in testing.

In my experience, once the light is finished it'll be very clear and bright. Apply the "protectant" and it'll dull them somewhat.

Apply Opti-Lens and it'll stay clear and bright. ;)

hernandez.art13
06-03-2013, 11:08 PM
^ Thank you Car Father

I want to stick with the products I have, the most durable products I have is, Menzerna power lock, then Collinite 476s.

So my question is, would these 2 products, Menzerna, and Collinite be sufficient for customer cars? (Headlight restoration)

cardaddy
06-04-2013, 12:35 AM
^ Thank you Car Father

So now I make you an offer you can't refuse huh?

I want to stick with the products I have, the most durable products I have is, Menzerna power lock, then Collinite 476s.

So my question is, would these 2 products, Menzerna, and Collinite be sufficient for customer cars? (Headlight restoration)

MPL is pretty good stuff (although I'd put M21 2.0 up against it any day). That being said, unprotected polycarbonate will start to oxidize fairly quickly. And of course customers that start having fading problems are going to scream. Wouldn't count on them to keep the lights waxed or sealed either imho. :dunno:

That's the problem I have with the Megs stuff actually. I *know* it helps, and that it lasts for a little while, but how long is "a little while", and is that long enough?

Opti-Lens is what, sixty bucks? You'll get at least 7~8 sets, possibly 10 out of it. So that's in the $6 to $8.50 range. Easy enough to build into the pricing, especially as you can offer a warranty with the lens repair once applied. Keep in mind however that you can get FOUR TIMES as much Opti-Lens in the professional size at a price that cuts your installation cost to way less than half! :props: (Just need to setup an account with them, which is a good thing to have no matter what.)

Car-Father signing out... even I have to sleep sometimes. :buffing:

Rsurfer
06-04-2013, 01:11 AM
MPL is pretty good stuff (although I'd put M21 2.0 up against it any day). That being said, unprotected polycarbonate will start to oxidize fairly quickly. And of course customers that start having fading problems are going to scream. Wouldn't count on them to keep the lights waxed or sealed either imho. :dunno:

That's the problem I have with the Megs stuff actually. I *know* it helps, and that it lasts for a little while, but how long is "a little while", and is that long enough?

Opti-Lens is what, sixty bucks? You'll get at least 7~8 sets, possibly 10 out of it. So that's in the $6 to $8.50 range. Easy enough to build into the pricing, especially as you can offer a warranty with the lens repair once applied. Keep in mind however that you can get FOUR TIMES as much Opti-Lens in the professional size at a price that cuts your installation cost to way less than half! :props: (Just need to setup an account with them, which is a good thing to have no matter what.)

Car-Father signing out... even I have to sleep sometimes. :buffing:
:iagree::whs::goodpost::dblthumb2: