PDA

View Full Version : 1st time detail - Things I've noticed

Venom93corba
06-02-2013, 10:41 AM
So my 1st detail on our black Escalade turned out awesome. I used the Blackfire product line - SRC, GEP and BI with the Flex 3401. Wowzers, this thing is gorgeous. But things I've noticed:

*I need better lighting. What looks good in the garage doesn't necessarily look good in the sun light.

*I should have taped it off. I got some wax on some of the plastics that took some work to get off.

*Having a LOT of mf's is important

*FK425 is awesome stuff

*I bought way too much stuff :)

Finemess
06-02-2013, 10:47 AM

*FK425 is awesome stuff

:dblthumb2: Glad it turned out good for you.

Evan.J
06-02-2013, 10:49 AM
So my 1st detail on our black Escalade turned out awesome. I used the Blackfire product line - SRC, GEP and BI with the Flex 3401. Wowzers, this thing is gorgeous. But things I've noticed:

*I need better lighting. What looks good in the garage doesn't necessarily look good in the sun light.

*I should have taped it off. I got some wax on some of the plastics that took some work to get off.

*FK425 is awesome stuff

The sun is the ultimate light to see your results!

Happy everything went well for you! :dblthumb2:

Pureshine
06-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Yes taping will save you time in the end I always tape the car off every time. Do you mean MF pads or MF towels?

Venom93corba
06-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys. I'll get some picks this week. I took it to a wedding over the weekend and got tons of comments on it. I'm definitely a Blackfire fan boy now :)

Venom93corba
06-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Mf towels. I have 12 of the super plush and it was just about perfect to do the whole job.

Also thanks to everyone that has given me advise over the last couple weeks. You guys are awesome!

Bunky
06-02-2013, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=Venom93corba;883646
[/QUOTE]

I use a Fenix headlamp during polishing. It really helps.

shoeless89
06-02-2013, 01:04 PM

*FK425 is awesome stuff

You can never have to much detailing stuff :)

5JAMES5
06-02-2013, 01:21 PM
I did my first correction Labor Day weekend. I had PMed Bobby G prior to the start.
for his advice. This is what I learned from him that saved money and time!

1. Don’t use to much product. Let the pad and machine do the work.

2. Not every area/panel needs the same process: some panels needed 2 passes some needed more.

3. Each correction needs a test spot, only then do you know how hard or soft the Clear coat is aand what level of correction is necessary.

On my DD I found that I didn’t have all the proper products on hand. I ended up doing 4 passes with WGSR and 4 with M205 on the trunk and hood. The fenders and doors only required 2 passes each.

The best advice Bobby G gave me was not to use too much product. Best lesson I have learned. Along with doing a test spot!

Thanks Bobby G. for sharing your years of experience.

5James5

SuperiorAutoLLC
06-02-2013, 04:33 PM
You can never have to much detailing stuff :)

Believe me, there will be a time and a place when you'll be happy you have the stuff you ordered!