PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that's...

Pages : [1] 2

Lexi65
06-01-2013, 08:40 PM
not in love with those newer headlights that look like diamonds?
Feed back please

rms64
06-01-2013, 08:42 PM
I've seen a few that I like (Audi, I think) and some that just seem way overdone and obnoxious.

I likes me my BMW angel eye things... Im the MAN

swanicyouth
06-01-2013, 08:44 PM
not in love with those newer headlights that look like diamonds?
Feed back please

I don't like them either. They remind me of cheap Christmas lights or those tacky light strings you see at the strip bar.

runrun411
06-01-2013, 09:43 PM
This too shall one day pass. It's just a fad like fins in the 50's or BBS rims in the 80's.

dooyaunastan
06-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Audi's head of design referred to it as "jewelry" for the car in an article I read not too long ago.

Audi's and BMW's looks great, even the ones on the '10+ Accords look good, most of them however, especially the cheap dingy aftermarket ones you see on Scion TC's and F150's, look like utter garbage. It's like blue christmas lights.

KenR
06-01-2013, 10:49 PM
I don't like them either. They remind me of cheap Christmas lights or those tacky light strings you see at the strip bar.

Tacky light strings at a strip bar? I never noticed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

Ace22
06-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Audi's head of design referred to it as "jewelry" for the car in an article I read not too long ago.

Audi's and BMW's looks great, even the ones on the '10+ Accords look good, most of them however, especially the cheap dingy aftermarket ones you see on Scion TC's and F150's, look like utter garbage. It's like blue christmas lights.

There is a lot of science and engineering behind the high end lights. Audi and BMW are exceptional and look great. It is much much more than putting a thin LED strip like every other car now. I agree, loved them at first (and still do on certain models) but getting tired of the cheap imitations.

otruba_843
06-02-2013, 09:40 AM
I think BMW is one of the few that makes these new generation headlights, but has not overdone them. They still are around the same basis with angel eyes around the projectors. Audi and Acura have made some really ugly headlights with like 8 jewels for a headlight. BMW is now designing laser headlights. You will appreciate them though if you ever have used them. I know my Bi-Xenons on my 3 series are incredible at night. I light up everything in front of me, to the sides of the road, and with hi-beams on I actually light up about 75 feet of the sky.
Future tech: BMW?s new laser headlights (http://www.automotto.com/entry/future-tech-bmws-laser-headlights/)

dooyaunastan
06-02-2013, 10:39 AM
I think BMW is one of the few that makes these new generation headlights, but has not overdone them. They still are around the same basis with angel eyes around the projectors. Audi and Acura have made some really ugly headlights with like 8 jewels for a headlight. BMW is now designing laser headlights. You will appreciate them though if you ever have used them. I know my Bi-Xenons on my 3 series are incredible at night. I light up everything in front of me, to the sides of the road, and with hi-beams on I actually light up about 75 feet of the sky.
Future tech: BMW?s new laser headlights (http://www.automotto.com/entry/future-tech-bmws-laser-headlights/)

The tech is interesting without a doubt, but why does the author of the article repeatedly associate headlight power usage with fuel economy?

While LEDs are increasingly used for vehicle headlamps, BMW has decided to go one better. The introduction of laser headlights means that you’ll get more light but with lesser power consumption. In fact, each laser diode will produce 70 percent more light per watt than a standard LED diode. You’ll be able to save more on gas whose price is constantly increasing.

The new laser diode headlights will be 1,000 times stronger than LED lights. This will help save energy as well as gas which is fast becoming a big problem owing to increased costs. With only a few more years before its introduction in the market, the bluish laser lights are not emitted directly and will pass through a fluorescent phosphor material before becoming white.

otruba_843
06-03-2013, 10:35 PM
I actually came across this too. The technology is pretty amazing.
Intelligent headlight technology. [VIDEO] (http://www.wimp.com/headlighttechnology/)

hooked
06-04-2013, 07:15 AM
I actually came across this too. The technology is pretty amazing.
Intelligent headlight technology. [VIDEO] (http://www.wimp.com/headlighttechnology/)

Pretty cool. I wonder how many accidents this will cause because the other drivers are distracted by your constantly switching headlights? And also, the video doesn't demonstrate the real life conditions of the speed racer wanna be BMW drivers who like to tailgate you because you're going too slow and purposely put the high beams on you to annoy you. ;)

rms64
06-04-2013, 07:24 AM
speed racer wanna be BMW drivers who like to tailgate you because you're going too slow and purposely put the high beams on you to annoy you. ;)

Hey now....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Robs_BMW_01.jpg

(Closest thing I could find to a "sorta tailgaiting" photo :eek: )....but I would never do that...

Setec Astronomy
06-04-2013, 07:41 AM

Tacky light strings at a strip bar? I never noticed.

So you guys know what CG Stripper Scent smells like? ;)

The tech is interesting without a doubt, but why does the author of the article repeatedly associate headlight power usage with fuel economy?

Because it is associated with fuel economy, in a very small way. The power to run your headlights (and other lights, and your radio, and your nav, and your Bluetooth, HVAC fan, etc.) is generated by your alternator, which is an engine accessory. The more electricity it is producing, the more drag it is putting on the engine, and the more fuel the engine is burning. Also, if by reducing electrical loads you can reduce the peak demand on the alternator, you can reduce the size/weight of the alternator, which reduces the mass the engine has to drag around for the life of the car.

How much are we talking about in fuel economy? .01 MPG? I dunno, but every little bit helps from the mfr's perspective. Also if the reflector etc. is smaller it makes room for other things and/or makes the car lighter, also if the lights draw less power the wire gauge can be smaller which is lighter/cheaper, etc.

Ace22
06-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Audi talks future of LED light technology - Headlights controlled by GPS & Cameras | Sideways at 11 (http://www.sidewaysat11.com/audi-talks-future-of-led-light-technology-headlights-controlled-by-gps-cameras/)

I don't think Audi's are overdone as stated before...just cool:cool:. And plenty of new technology on the way. Definitely here to stay and not a fad. I have looked at what it costs to replace one headlight on my A6! As prices come down other cars will follow.

AutoHeed
06-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Ive been researching around DIY and automotive dorums about this 'audi type' DRL. It is fiber optics LED. The light looks born and flowing with the car unlike LED strips looking like an attachment.

I wonder how cool it is to install in my headlights!

Or go extreme like my client's car?