PDA

View Full Version : Coating to remove wswirl marks and minor imperfections?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Harry Da Hamster
06-01-2013, 08:26 PM
There's a local detailing company who removes swirl marks and minor imperfections without paint correction but instead with a coating. The detailing company is trying to get a contract with my company, a car dealership, so they worked on three of my co-workers cars and i must say the difference before and after is amazing. The most neglected was a mid-2000s Range Rover Sport which had pretty bad swirl marks from years of neglect. The detailer said absolutely no paint correction, just a coating was used to remove all swirl marks and minor imperfections. The other car was an older 1990s Lexus. The side mirrors had significant scratches which can't be buffed. But the difference before and after was day and night. Still noticeable when looking very close but very hard to see from a a couple feet away. Anyone know what this guy used? And what's the longevity of this product? He said it'll last as long as the factory clear coat but i find that a bit hard to believe.

Evan.J
06-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a glaze with fillers to fill in those swirls. No way to remove swirls but by polishing the paint.

Nate3420
06-01-2013, 08:38 PM
:iagree: exactly. Took the words out of my mouth.

Nate3420
06-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Evan us western pa guys sure do agree with each other hahaha

Evan.J
06-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Evan us western pa guys sure do agree with each other hahaha

Yes I agree (yet again) :dblthumb2:

I have seen some strange detailing things that people try to sell!
I have seen a guy selling a spray polish that has clay bar built in to it. How does that work? :doh:

WAXOFF
06-01-2013, 08:45 PM
From another W PA guy. Nothing beats elbow grease. You can't wipe something on and expect it to last. It may look good for a couple of weeks but look close after that. We sell paint treatment also. Just a waste of money. People think their cars have a force field around it.

swanicyouth
06-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Its not glaze. Its a coating. I've heard of this stuff, but cat recall the name. In fact, a guy was on here maybe a year or so ago who was an installer.

He picked up a lot of flack, but nobody had first hand experience with the product (but him) to disprove the claims. IIR, he had pics to validate the claims and swore by the product.

Soft 99, a detailing company from Japan, has a similar product for specific colors, but it doesn't have coating durability.

Apparently, there is something to this product, besides hype - but I'm not sure if it delivers a true show car finish most AutoGeeks are after.

Evan.J
06-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Its not glaze. Its a coating. I've heard of this stuff, but cat recall the name. In fact, a guy was on here maybe a year or so ago who was an installer.

He picked up a lot of flack, but nobody had first hand experience with the product (but him) to disprove the claims. IIR, he had pics to validate the claims and swore by the product.

Soft 99, a detailing company from Japan, has a similar product for specific colors, but it doesn't have coating durability.

Apparently, there is something to this product, besides hype - but I'm not sure if it delivers a true show car finish most AutoGeeks are after.

Interesting Steve. I guess my question would be durability if they are calling it a coating. I would assume some filling properties if there is no buffing involved and its "removing" the swirls.

SonOfOC
06-01-2013, 09:38 PM
It may not technical be a called a glaze, but then again the term "glaze" is as loose as a Kardashian after 2 drinks.

Without polishing to level the paint, it must fill to lessen the visibility of the swirls.

AutowerxDetailing
06-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Everyone on the Tesla forums has been talking about a product called Glare. From what I read on their website (which is completely ridiculous overselling hyperbole) it looks like they might have used something like Glare Polish. (I have never used this product and have no idea if it even works as claimed... just going off the incredibly long product description on the website.)

jrs1418
06-01-2013, 10:35 PM
I recall seeing a coating like this advertised called "RestorFX" (without the "E")..

Ive never seen it first hand, but I cant imagine this being all it cracks up to be.. otherwise it'd be all over AG's and other forums.

cardaddy
06-02-2013, 12:34 AM
Wasn't there a guy on one of the full size Chevy truck forums (another member here has had problems with him) that pushes ONLY washing with Dawn, NEVER waxing and using his stuff that makes your cars look brand new? Don't have any idea what it is, but do remember lots of hoopla over it. :dunno:

What I have a problem with is the statement that "it lasts as long as the factory clear coat". That just doesn't seem probable. Who knows... might be another product from "Seen it on TV". :rolleyes:

AutowerxDetailing
06-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Wasn't there a guy on one of the full size Chevy truck forums (another member here has had problems with him) that pushes ONLY washing with Dawn, NEVER waxing and using his stuff that makes your cars look brand new? Don't have any idea what it is, but do remember lots of hoopla over it.

No doi, because wax causes swirl marks! :laughing:

Harry Da Hamster
06-02-2013, 04:13 AM
I recall seeing a coating like this advertised called "RestorFX" (without the "E")..

Ive never seen it first hand, but I cant imagine this being all it cracks up to be.. otherwise it'd be all over AG's and other forums.

This is the exact company i was referencing too. I live in Hawaii, RestorFX has a franchise here, and they did a few of my co-workers cars in effort to score a contract. I've seen it first hand and it looks pretty amazing.

Here's a couple pics from their corporate website. And it's an accurate depiction of the difference before and after that i noticed on my co-workers cars.

http://www.restorfx.com/assets/images/BeforeAfter%20Pictures/DSC00959.JPG

Picture above you see one panel with heavy swirls from probably years of abuse. Other panel was fixed with RestorFX. This is very similar to my co-workers Range Rover Sport.

http://www.restorfx.com/assets/images/BeforeAfter%20Pictures/DSC08294.JPG

Second picture above shows heavy scratching. Though you can still see the gouges on the fixed side, its barely noticeable. This result was very similar to my co-workers old Lexus with the scrape on the side mirrors and pealing clear coat.

Fishincricket
06-02-2013, 04:45 AM
Wasn't there a guy on one of the full size Chevy truck forums (another member here has had problems with him) that pushes ONLY washing with Dawn, NEVER waxing and using his stuff that makes your cars look brand new? Don't have any idea what it is, but do remember lots of hoopla over it. :dunno:
Yeah, that guy was hopped up on something different....

This is the exact company i was referencing too. I live in Hawaii, RestorFX has a franchise here, and they did a few of my co-workers cars in effort to score a contract. I've seen it first hand and it looks pretty amazing.

Here's a couple pics from their corporate website. And it's an accurate depiction of the difference before and after that i noticed on my co-workers cars.

http://www.restorfx.com/assets/images/BeforeAfter%20Pictures/DSC00959.JPG

Picture above you see one panel with heavy swirls from probably years of abuse. Other panel was fixed with RestorFX. This is very similar to my co-workers Range Rover Sport.

http://www.restorfx.com/assets/images/BeforeAfter%20Pictures/DSC08294.JPG

Second picture above shows heavy scratching. Though you can still see the gouges on the fixed side, its barely noticeable. This result was very similar to my co-workers old Lexus with the scrape on the side mirrors and pealing clear coat.

Could you do us a favor and give one of those vehicles an IPA (mild solution of isopropyl alcohol) wipe down? Just pick an inconspicuous spot.. If its a glaze or filler then it should wipe right off...

We'd all be curious... I'm certainly not nay-saying, but if this stuff was for real you'd really think this would be all over the detailing world, even if it didn't leave a "show car finish".