PDA

View Full Version : Sealant for White Paint

WRXINXS
06-01-2013, 07:05 PM
I have been using WGDGPS 3.0 as my go-to sealant for a long time on dark colored cars, but have never used it on white and I am thinking of using it on my Mom's white car.

I have only used Opti-Seal on her car before and I like the look but I want to try something else. I would like to stick to a sealant though.

Does the 3.0 look good on white as well as just dark colors?

I also like to try different products so I was also considering

4 Star UPP (Would it look that much different that WGDGPS 3.0?
HD Poxy (wax/sealant hybrid)
Sonus SFX-4 Paint Sealant with Polycharger (Never talked about around here)

Drew

jackychai
06-01-2013, 07:09 PM
I believe they are all about the same on white.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

MarkD51
06-01-2013, 07:32 PM
I just did two coats of WGDGPS 3.0 on my 1997 Tahoe.

This was after a full Iron-X Treatment, Claying, washing, and then application of the Wofgang Sealant.

I think it is one hell of an outstanding product. And without a doubt I will order more when I eventually run out.

But, there's a couple of quirks, and noted discrepancies.

First, I have gotten two small samples of this product form AG, and they looked somewhat differernt than the 8oz bottle I have on hand.

The two samples in their little clear bottles were somehow mixed with flecks-spots of some ingredient, which after shaking never seemed to homogenize properly.

To me, this means a different batch of product, which was differnt than the larger bottle I bought. In my larger bottle, the color is pute, even colored yellow. In the little bottles I'm seeing spotsof blue-green that won't mix in.

Has anyone ever requested "new" free samples that were defective? LOL

I still have those two little samples, having not used them yet.

I have felt slightly disapointed with it on the Tahoe, whereas on my Kia (Magenta Red Metallic) it attained an ultra slick finish, which looked like glass.

On the Tahoe it was grabby, and also seemed to be a bit of work to remove, even on the second follow-up coat. And yes, I applied as thin as possible

Nor did I get quite the breathtaking pop that I had hoped for. Why I noted these slight shortcomings on this vehicle I have no idea?

Maybe it was the weather? Maybe this product applies, and works better in 65 degree temps rather than 90?

Maybe it just doesn't pop as much on white paint? Maybe a different paint it just doesn't look as good, and might have been better off applying Duraglosss #105-#111? I just don't know?

Or maybe my paint wasn't looking that bad to begin with, and I might have been expecting too much?

Maybe my last statement might hold the most "truth", and as the old saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

The paintjobs on these ole tahoes aren't exactly Porsche Panamera quality.

jlax2485
06-01-2013, 08:09 PM
I like to use WGDGPS on my pearl white WRX and it gives a super wet, deep gloss. Looks great.

I also just got some dodo juice diamond white caranuba wax and it looks great as well- really allows the pearl flake to pop, more so than DGPS.

MarkD51
06-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Oh, I forgot one "little" step I did on my entire SUV. Full blown DA process with WG Total Swirl Remover and white flat 5.5" Lake County Pads.

Honestly, I've never spent as long with time, and care with polish in my entire life as I have with this truck.

Even breaking the truck up in sections, after I was done, I felt like I polished a Malibu Mansion. Just back breaking work, and many many long hours to get things right. With each section, under hard lighting, you swore I was looking for nanites.

DogRescuer
06-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Oh, I forgot one "little" step I did on my entire SUV. Full blown DA process with WG Total Swirl Remover and white flat 5.5" Lake County Pads.

Honestly, I've never spent as long with time, and care with polish in my entire life as I have with this truck.

Even breaking the truck up in sections, after I was done, I felt like I polished a Malibu Mansion. Just back breaking work, and many many long hours to get things right. With each section, under hard lighting, you swore I was looking for nanites.
During all that polishing how did you keep the pad clean?

jlax2485
06-01-2013, 09:29 PM
by switching to a clean one after every panel

MarkD51
06-01-2013, 10:42 PM
During all that polishing how did you keep the pad clean?

Just like JLax said, by switching to a new Pad.

I used 2 pads for the roof, two pads for the Hood, and two pads per each side of the truck.

And I did clean on the fly after each section.

Surprisingly with all the Iron bleed I seen with the Iron-X on the Hood and Roof, and although a little bit less on the sides, and the claying, which I thought I was literally feeling "sandpaper" when doing the baggie test, the clay, and the pads stayed relatively clean.

I was surprised by that, I thought both the clay, and pads would be black. They weren't.

MarkD51
06-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I think as well that on pure white paint, certain lighting will just not showcase one's hard efforts.

My truck looks oustanding right now, but I do see that it often takes a special lighting, like near sunset, or floro lighting to properly showcase and display the gloss and shine I've attained.

At high noon, I could probably have bypassed all my hard efforts, slapped on a coat of turtle wax, and would note little difference.

cardaddy
06-02-2013, 12:50 AM
At high noon, I could probably have bypassed all my hard efforts, slapped on a coat of turtle wax, and would note little difference.

Oh Mark Mark Mark...
I've been pulling for ya' bud. I mean I've been right there with ya'. Then you had to go and say this! :doh:

I just hate turdle-snot .... ;)

You should see the damage it did to a little Chevy Aveo I saw back in April. The guy put enough on it to do a dozen cars, then he let it dry. :eek: Took almost FOUR HOURS to get it off, and in the meantime it looked like he sanded it with 220 grit!

Positive reinforcement... feel your inner Grasshopper... wax on, wax off. You did good, you keep patting yourself on the back. Now go outside and work on your spinning back heel kick! :bolt:

sproketser
06-02-2013, 05:54 AM
by switching to a clean one after every panel

Good tip mate .

nailzer
06-02-2013, 06:26 AM
I always use an equal amount of water to wax, unless it carnauba, to my pad when I wax.

FUNX650
06-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi Drew...

There's nothing wrong with having a film-layer (or two) of:
WGDGPS...on White/Light-Colored vehicles.

But I've found that I prefer the "look" of the so-called:
Acrylic-sealants for White/Light-Colored vehicles.

Ones such as:
-The Klasse Twins (CarLack 68)
-Werkstatt's Acrylic Jett...and/or its monozygotic twin...Acrylic Jett: Trigger

Of course, some folks will state they prefer one of Duragloss's forum-favorite combination(s)
for White/Light-Colored vehicles. Nothing wrong with that either.

Come to think of it:
From what I've heard...Also probably nothing wrong with Zaino's Sealants.

:)

Bob