PDA

View Full Version : New Client and His Vehicles Pose A Few Questions

KJW Detailing
06-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Good Afternoon,

After finishing an F350 detail earlier this afternoon, I went and met a potential new client, whom was having difficulties with water marks on one of his vehicles. He has an unusual array of vehicles.

Vehicle Line Up:
1999 Mercedes Benz E-Class with all of 7k on the ODO
2001 Izuzu VehiCross
1971 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL
1978 Toyota Cressida

All his vehicles are in mint condition.

I was contacted initially to look at the Cressida that has water spots on the hood. I examined and the photo below show you what I saw first hand. The vehicle was repainted, but that was almost 25 years ago. I believe the paint is a single stage clear coat. Anyway, look at the photos below, as my assumption is water marks. My question is, whats the process for a single stage paint, in removing these water marks. The vehicle also has some light swirls marks.

After showing me the Toyota, he showed me his Izuzu, which has light swirl marks and the UV protective coating on the headlights is starting to degrade.

Finally, he showed me the 71 Benz. This thing was awesome and like all his other vehicles it has very light swirls marks, but this vehicle also has some oxidation on the tops.

First and foremost, I need your eyes and view's and the vehicle photos below, as well as what my plan should be towards removing them. Second, lets talk about the 71' Benz and the oxidation.

Thanks! Also hope everyone is drinking lots of H20...its scorching out in the North East!

rmagnus
06-01-2013, 05:53 PM
That's a shame those spots are bad. Regardless confirm it's SS paint. If so use Meg #7 liberally and let the oils soak in for several hours. If you use a cotton towel while working in the #7 I think your water spots will br history.

Finish off with a good coat of carnauba wax. Post before and after photos.

Edit: if you use a DA make sure to keep the pads clean because the paint will come off on the pads unlike CC paint. Always let's the #7 soak in first.

AeroCleanse
06-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover

KJW Detailing
06-02-2013, 07:38 PM
After reading this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

My plan will be to first test the paint to make certian is SS, then I will liberally apply a coating of Meg's #7, that I will allow 24 hours to fully soak into the paint, for both the Toyota and Mercedes.

WAXOFF
06-02-2013, 09:18 PM
You're going to think this is nuts but years ago I had an 1986 Volvo 240 with single stage maroon faded paint that I was going to sell. I thought to myself how can I get this paint looking better before a detailed it. I sprayed the whole car down with blue tire dressing and buffed it into the paint first before I started to polish it. The car looked so good that I didn't want to sell it but the guy was bugging me to buy it. Just something I found to work by accident.

BillE
06-03-2013, 07:39 AM
You're going to think this is nuts but years ago I had an 1986 Volvo 240 with single stage maroon faded paint that I was going to sell. I thought to myself how can I get this paint looking better before a detailed it. I sprayed the whole car down with blue tire dressing and buffed it into the paint first before I started to polish it. The car looked so good that I didn't want to sell it but the guy was bugging me to buy it. Just something I found to work by accident.

I have no clue what this is...More explanation please.

Bill

BradsDetailing
06-03-2013, 07:52 AM
subd

dcjredline
06-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Had a friend who did something similar on his 1986 Sunbird Convertible. He would use WD40 to make the paint shine.

tuscarora dave
06-03-2013, 09:15 AM
After reading this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

My plan will be to first test the paint to make certian is SS, then I will liberally apply a coating of Meg's #7, that I will allow 24 hours to fully soak into the paint, for both the Toyota and Mercedes.

Sounds like the safest way to go. Regardless of whether it removes the water spots or not, the paint will have been nourished with the essential oils to make the single stage paint healthier so it can be safely compounded or polished.

KJW Detailing
06-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Went to the clients house this afternoon. Used ONR to make sure the painted surface was clean. Following this, I applied two liberal coats of Meguiar's #7, just to make sure I put enough on. This will soak into the paint for 24 hours, prior to removal. The photo below is of the hood. Will keep everyone updated on the progress.

KJW Detailing
06-05-2013, 04:56 PM
UPDATE: no improvement after allowing Meg's #7 to soak into the paint for 24 hours.

My experience would tell me that the vehicle is now in need of a polish in order to remove the water spots. Obviously, starting with the least aggressive method (GG + Green Pad + Klasse AIO). If not results, I could step up to (GG + Green Pad + M205). I also have other various pads with different cut abilities, as well as PO85rd and Meg's 105.

Comments and/or suggestions?

KJW Detailing
06-07-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm stuck on this Toyota Water Spot Removal. I started out as stated, with the least aggressive product and pad combo, slowly workin my way up, when the combos didn't work. I ended at Meg's 105 and an Orange LC Pad. It had absolutely no effect and I'm honestly surprised at the little amount of paint that transferred to the pad.

Anyone have any suggestions and how to proceed?