PDA

View Full Version : Should I polish and apply Gtechniq C1 on a new bumper?

acblack
06-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Hi everyone! My cars front bumper was replaced a little over 2 weeks ago. I had it done at the body shop of the dealership (Cadillac). I asked the service advisor if I can safely apply a sealant (I didn't say Gtechniq because I doubt he knows what it is) and he said yes. I doubt his knowledge about car paints so I'd like to get the opinion of the members here.

The new bumper was painted and oven baked to accelerate the drying process. Would it be ok to apply to polish it after just 2 weeks and apply Gtechniq C1? Other articles here say that you must wait 1 - 3 months to allow gases to escape from the paint but there are also others that say if the paint is baked, there is no need to wait until a wax or sealant can be applied. I also live in the very dry desert of Dubai so our weather here should have also helped in drying the paint in no time. What do you think? I'd love to get some tips on how to proceed.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

af90
06-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Was it painted at the dealership or shipped in painted?

If painted at the dealership I'd give it 30 days.

Andr3wilson
06-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Any respray or paint job outside of factory painting needs to of gas for at least 30 days.

Baking it can be a loose term because most paint shops will spray, then bring the booth temp up to help the drying. Different to how the factory bakes paint.

acblack
06-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the input guys. The bumper was painted there if I'm not mistaken.

The problem is the Gtechniq C1. Once I open the bottle to apply it to the rest of the car next weekend, all remaining solution should be used within 5 days according to the instructions. Bummer. That means I either wait for the paint of the front bumper to fully cure before I can open my bottle. That's a long wait!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rsurfer
06-01-2013, 02:25 PM
If it was heat baked, you don't have to wait. Done several bumpers and didn't wait and it's been over a year with no problems. I'm not a painter, but some painters say that the newer paints have an accelerator that does not need time to out gas.