PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Spend My Money

A1MobileDetailing
05-31-2013, 10:40 PM
I just got done detailing a truck interior for my cousin. When he asked how much he owed me I said $150(I didn't want to charge a lot because the experience was worth a lot to me). When I told him I spent close to 20 hrs. on it and he was a little surprised. It took me that long because it was horrible and because I was doing it evenings in poor lighting a lot of times. So he came and picked it up when I was at work and left a check for my dad for $250!! I was really surprised and asked my dad several times if he misunderstood me, but he said he didn't. I do still need to confirm this with my cousin and thank him if he tipped me that much.
I would like to use the money to buy some more/better detailing equipment. Right now I'm using my moms Electrolux sweeper which has a nice spinning bush attachment and good suction. I also have a bissell proheat automotive extractor. I can't decide if I should get the metro vac n blow or the pf 51 and I'm also looking at getting the McCulloch steam cleaner from harbor freight tomorrow. My highest priority is getting better lights. Any input you have on what you feel is the best tool and if the McColloch steamer is any good would be appreciated.

mrGolfRider
06-01-2013, 07:36 AM
That is a tough choice between those vacuums because they are both very nice. I have the full size Metro and love it. It is really quiet and has amazing suction for such a small package. I have read many good reviews on the PF51 though.

What is your reason for better lights? So you can see in the interior easier? I would go on eBay and search for LED headlamps and just buy one of those. If you got new tripod lights, those can only be situated so much to bring light into the vehicle as where that headlamps is right where your looking.

The McColloch steamer is okay if your only doing cars for yourself or family. It isn't a unit that is meant to be put to use all day long imo.

VP Mark
06-01-2013, 08:16 AM
I have a McCulloch and it works great
Easily worth the price of admission.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

A1MobileDetailing
06-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Yea, it sounds like they are both great machines. I am leaning towards the metro right now because of the attachments available for it. Yea, my reason for better lights is so i can see the interior better.I actually already have a good headlamp, I just never thought of using it for that before, so thanks for the idea.
I think the McCulloch will suit my needs for now because I'm just detailing on the side for family and friends.

ScottB
06-01-2013, 09:26 AM
If you have a PC buffer, look at some of the carpet cleaning heads also. Cheap investment.

BradsDetailing
06-01-2013, 09:34 AM
There is a thread on here with pictures of some of our garage setups and one person has fluorescent lights mounted on the wall, horizontal. This would really be a good idea if you can do it. Otherwise the led lamps stated above.