PDA

View Full Version : MF question!

Spy474
05-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Hi! i just made myself a gift! Wouhhoouu!

I bought 48 cheap MF tower at Costco ;)

Now, i would like to mark them.. Like write on it, wheel, interior, etc etc..!

But, is it safe to use a black pen marker? What do you do to mark your microfiber towel?

I was wondering because the wheel product can be very strong, and i don't want the pen to transfer on the wheel or the leather ;)

Belair
05-31-2013, 06:48 PM
I keep the towels in separate bags & mark the bags with their uses, not the towels themselves.

hernandez.art13
05-31-2013, 06:50 PM
I keep the towels in separate bags & mark the bags with their uses, not the towels themselves.

What bags do you use? I just use grocery bags. (But looks really cheap, no offense if someone uses this)

sproketser
05-31-2013, 06:51 PM

Good call Belair .

Spy474
05-31-2013, 07:04 PM
That's not a bad idea!!! Haha..

Pretty much easier and safer!

But i remember a post (But can't find it..) that someone just use a permanent pen on is MF.. But, i'm not sure :P

sproketser
05-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Or maybe use some plastic containers like Rubbermaid s .

hernandez.art13
05-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Sorry should have been more specific, what are good bags that I can use that will let me transport them. (On the go)

I already ran out of room on my X-Large Blackfire bag lol

Since I am just concentrating on paint correction, not washing interior or exterior

sproketser
05-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Any plastic bags I guess .

inDetail
05-31-2013, 07:42 PM
I use plastic zip locs. Not the slide and close one's the one's you have to pinch. The slides break. I write on the front of every bag what the towels are used for. To not get them mixed up after the wash. Each towel is marked with a dot on the very edge of one corner in permanent marker in a different color and or number of dots. So two red dots those are my QD towels, 1 black dot those are my heavy cut compound towels. The same color and or number of dots are on the outside of each bag. Wash them dry them fold them up put them in the bag. push all the air out of the bag and zip them closed. The dots have yet to wash out. If they start to fade just color them again. I tend to find a towel I like for everything except drying and glass and buy them in bulk so it's cheaper but they all look the same. This is how I keep them organized. The dots are only 1/8" in size and on the very edge of the towel so chances are it may never touch the paint. MF is hard to write on an takes up room. Dot thing works good for me.

sproketser
05-31-2013, 07:44 PM
I use plastic zip locs. Not the slide and close one's the one's you have to pinch. The slides break. I write on the front of every bag what the towels are used for. To not get them mixed up after the wash. Each towel is marked with a dot on the very edge of one corner in permanent marker in a different color and or number of dots. So two red dots those are my QD towels, 1 black dot those are my heavy cut compound towels. The same color and or number of dots are on the outside of each bag. Wash them dry them fold them up put them in the bag. push all the air out of the bag and zip them closed. The dots have yet to wash out. If they start to fade just color them again. I tend to find a towel I like for everything except drying and glass and buy them in bulk so it's cheaper but they all look the same. This is how I keep them organized. The dots are only 1/8" in size and on the very edge of the towel so chances are it may never touch the paint. MF is hard to write on an takes up room. Dot thing works good for me.

Nice tip buddy !

Spy474
05-31-2013, 07:49 PM
Thank you very much! Nice tip!

I think it's the way to go!

cardaddy
05-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Did you get the Eurow yellow towels or the Kirkland dual nap golden towels? Just asking as I've used both, and love both for their cost. Actually the Kirklands, being dual nap have a lot of uses. Be aware, WASH THEM FIRST (both types) and then the tags come of easier.

That out of the way. Use them when they are in their virgin state as you feel comfortable. Using on paint can, and WILL work unless the paint is stupidly soft (as some are) especially the gold Kirklands as they are pretty soft.

I grade all my towels that are not "high end" or "paint only" towels.

Once you use them, set aside three bins in your garage and toss them into the bins after they are used, GRADED accordingly. Paint then interior/jambs then wheels. Anything less is exhaust and undercarriage and should be in a rag pile.

I just take a marker and put a small line in one corner. Zero lines mean they go back on paint. One line means interior/jambs. Two lines means wheels (or less). Simple and to the point. I pick up a towel with no marks on it and its safe for paint, 1 mark and it never touches paint, 2 and well you get the idea.

As you use towels always grade them, always keep an eye on condition. Grading doesn't mean you ONLY use the jamb/interior towels on your interiors, just that THAT towel has already been looked at, WHEN IT WAS AT ITS DIRTIEST POINT so that you know where it was and what it last did.

Also you want to wash each grade all by themselves. For good towels you want to run a load through your washer before ever putting them in. With that in mind I start with the worst ones and do a load, then the next cleanest, next cleanest and so on. By the time you've done the other ones the washer will be ready for the cleanest ones. PLUS, you don't get yelled at by your wife when she puts a load in and it's the very next ones after you've washed something really grungy. :)

You're towels will appreciate it, and you're wife will appreciate it. ;) And as we know... if Mama ain't happy, NOBODY ain't happy! :props: