PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar

Hjfowler
05-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Is it ok to use a clay bar every time I wash my car to remove the bugs from the front bumper?

More specifically, it is the mothers clay bar available at almost any autopart store. The simple one in the red box.

ArkayoDeetayo
05-31-2013, 12:46 PM
It's okay but I have a better alternative...

buy the 1Z anti insekt spray, or poor boys bug remover, or some type of dedicated bug remover, even DP Exterior Cleanse, and also use a bug sponge

Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad can be used on glass, chrome, vinyl, fiberglass, paint and clearcoats—100% safe when used with soapy water. (http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html)

c8n
05-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Clay bar potentially can cause micro marring on some soft paint so you want to be careful as to not to be too aggressive. In addition, my understanding is that clay can remove wax. So if you do clay, make sure you wax as well.

As for your bug problems, its really simple. Drape a wet towel over the infected area and leave it there for a few minutes and wipe them off with some QD and MF towel. And always keep a good coat of wax on your car as the wax will make bug removal that much easier.

Hjfowler
05-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Awesome. Thanks to both of you. Great information.

Wes Bremec
05-31-2013, 02:47 PM
P21s total auto wash.
If worried about stripping off LSP, use duragloss bug and tar remover or auto finesse citrus