PDA

View Full Version : Question on Mercedes Paint

Coyote33
05-31-2013, 11:42 AM
I recently purchased a 2007 black C230 for my daily driver. I spent last weekend working on correcting some chips and scratches that came with it. I had read several posts and watched youtube videos about how to touch up the paint to the point where it is higher than the original paint level and then wet sand it down and compound/polish out the marks. I used factory paint for the touch ups.

Maybe I was too tentative about the sanding and not wanting to do too much damage, but I used 2000 and then upped the sand paper in increments up to 3000 before switching to compound and polish to shine everything up.

What I noticed is that the paint didn't sand down enough and there are still areas where I can see the touch up.

Was I too tentative? Is Mercedes a "hard paint" and I can be more aggessive?

TundraPower
05-31-2013, 12:10 PM
I'd have to see some pictures. And yes, at least in my experience, MB paint is hard as a rock.

Mike Phillips
05-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Normally what happens is when you go to remove your sanding marks they buff out pretty fast on the touch-up paint but not as fast on the factory paint and that's because the touch-up paint will be soft as compared to any factory paint.

Next a person will buff more and more trying to get the sanding marks out of the factory paint that surrounds the touch-up paint and then the touch-up paint will heat up, become rubbery and pull out and off the car.

Now you back to the starting point except now you have less paint where you've sanded and buffed. Sanding and buffing this area will now be more risky.

What most people want is to do this type of repair and when they are all done they want the paint to look like nothing ever happened, just like brand new. This is a worthy and lofty goal but a little tricky to accomplish.

My best advice is to always let the touch-up paint dry rock hard, give it a week or two before you start sanding and buffing.

:)

mwoolfso
05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
My best advice is to always let the touch-up paint dry rock hard, give it a week or two before you start sanding and buffing.

:)

I never thought it would take THAT long.... interesting tidbit! Thanks!

Coyote33
06-05-2013, 01:03 PM
So in reading through the forum, I came across a couple of topics about ceramiclear paint. One poster mentioned that if Mercedes cars paint codes start with a "c" it means they have the ceramiclear paint.

I checked and my paint code is C040. Does this change how I should proceed with correcting the chips and scratches?