PDA

View Full Version : meg's MF pads are crap?!

Pages : [1] 2

statusdetailing
05-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Heres the deal. I like the cutting ability of these mf cutting pads, but hate everything else.

There is a sharp edge around the circumference of these pads that makes me nervous the entire time im using them. Its an almost plastic like backing the attaches the foam to the micro fiber. . .how stupid! Also after only one wash i can see that the hook and loop backing is already beginning to delaminate on the edges. I'd give these pads a 2/10 only because they cut well, otherwise i'd give them a big fat zero. Shame on meg's.

Do you guys recommend a different microfiber pad that doesnt have a sharp razor blade edge?

Maybe optimum or lc?

BlackHawk
05-31-2013, 11:15 AM
i too have issues with them :/ its like you say they simply start to seperate away from the foam. I can lift the edge of the microfiber part pretty far up on some spots. They still work but i cant see them lasting a long time.

Sunshyne
05-31-2013, 11:16 AM
I have 14 of them in service and they perform great. Are your issues with possibly using too much product? I have learned that after washing them in my pad washer its best to wring them out by hand and have them dry face down so the adhesive stays as in tact as possible during the drying process.

Also I would consider changing pads out more often during your correction. This gives less chance for heat to start to degrade the backing and glue.

As far OPT and LC, I have the OPT's and love them. They work on both rotary and DA's so its win/win. Some pople have complained about them but I dont see the issues

Sorry to hear about your troubles with these pads, put them down. Revisit later and see if you can give them another shot

Dr_Pain
05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Meg's MF cutting pads are better than the competition. I do like them but find them a little scary in concavities because of the edge you are talking about. What I have done is set my Rupes with the MF pads (normally use FG400) and do all the flat surfaces with them and use my GG with flat orange LC to "edge" or go in those concavities. No problem so far.

statusdetailing
05-31-2013, 11:43 AM
The edge is what i have the biggest issue with. Its close to the paint surface and its sharp. Yikes!

VP Mark
05-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Never been too concerned with the edge. Just use foam on rounded areas and you will be golden. I have had lots of OPT MF pads over the years, had a couple of bad batches but the rest of them take a beating like a pro. I work them hard too.

Clean them often. I spray them out after every panel or at the least "fluff" them with a nylon brush. Don't use too much product. Keep the speed down. There should be rotation but at long as it is spinning sufficiently don't go faster than that. You don't need a lot of pressure. If you put more than "moderate" pressure on a MF pad it will begin to break down quickly.

2old2change
05-31-2013, 12:08 PM
You will not find a better cutting pad the the Megs mf but quality has been hit and miss since they were introduced. For durability the Buff & Shine mf are super tough but cut a little less then the Megs IMO. Depending on what is more important to you , it's your call.

SlowWRX
05-31-2013, 12:12 PM
I really like the megs pads..i had issues with ones that were from release day but since then they are great and Megs replaced the one that was defective for me for free.
The issue I have with the BnS pads..i love their foam pads but the MF pads the foam seems a bit to think and I think could cause bogging on the PC,G110,GG

DRT BRD
05-31-2013, 12:23 PM
I have release day pads that are still going strong. The aforementioned comments about using too much product, not changing often, not cleaning frequently are all spot on. After the pad is primed, I use two pea sized drops for a section and it cuts pretty damn flawless. I have had my fair share of failures but Megs has taken care of them with their newer pads. While it is a inconvenience, it's still good on Megs part. I haven't found a pad that cuts and finishes down as well as them.

The B&S Pads are nice but the fibers are pretty long and it tends to bog it down or requires a lot of product. Still a quality piece.

Evan.J
05-31-2013, 01:55 PM
I have release day pads that are still going strong. The aforementioned comments about using too much product, not changing often, not cleaning frequently are all spot on. After the pad is primed, I use two pea sized drops for a section and it cuts pretty damn flawless. I have had my fair share of failures but Megs has taken care of them with their newer pads. While it is a inconvenience, it's still good on Megs part. I haven't found a pad that cuts and finishes down as well as them.

The B&S Pads are nice but the fibers are pretty long and it tends to bog it down or requires a lot of product. Still a quality piece.

Thats impressive! :dblthumb2:

Jeremy do you know if you have newer ones or older ones?

Cleaning them very often and going at no more than 4800 opms is key.

The pads hate heat, too much product, and not enough cleaning. If you have an air compressor use that to blow out the fibers. If you have more than a couple changing them often helps as well.

Wes Bremec
05-31-2013, 02:29 PM
I've tried optimum, LC, and megs. I like the megs the best. It's the nature of the beast to be more aware on edges an emblems with microfiber pads period.

statusdetailing
05-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Darn! I want to love these things. . .and I kinda do. Darn that sharp edge. Sorry guys, I get on these rants some times.

I'm very happy with how well it cut. Tried it on an 06, black z4 and it really cut nicely. I was using the 6 inch pad, but I'll probably try a 5 inch pad next. I bet I can get an even better cut. I hate the vibration and slugishness of 6 inch pads on the pc.

I'm doing a paint correction on a black 03 corvette tomorrow. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I'm still going to be nervous about that edge though! Yikes! haha

statusdetailing
05-31-2013, 07:07 PM
Hey one more thing. If you weren't going to use the microfiber pad, what would be your next choice for cutting power?

Lately I've been shying away from the rotary for cutting. I really believe in the PC and do not believe it's underpowered, especially with 3" to 5.5" pads. I've been using orange lc flat pads with m105 for cutting (switching to m101 soon when I'm out of 105). I think just switching to 101 will give me a slightly better cut.

Any suggestions for a better cutting foam pad? Thanks so much guys. I know I'm always on here asking crazy questions. I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

inDetail
05-31-2013, 07:12 PM
I'm a huge fan of CG Black optic pads. I like them better then theier optical MF pads. Thicker MF and stronger foam. They mold to the contours really well. Never had a problem with them. They feel like foam except the ride smoother across the paint.

Evan.J
05-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Hey one more thing. If you weren't going to use the microfiber pad, what would be your next choice for cutting power?

Lately I've been shying away from the rotary for cutting. I really believe in the PC and do not believe it's underpowered, especially with 3" to 5.5" pads. I've been using orange lc flat pads with m105 for cutting (switching to m101 soon when I'm out of 105). I think just switching to 101 will give me a slightly better cut.

Any suggestions for a better cutting foam pad? Thanks so much guys. I know I'm always on here asking crazy questions. I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

They don't call M101 pimp juice for nothing! I have done some limited testing with it on a Rupes yellow pad and M101 is a killer compound. I find it easier to use that M105 with a much better cut.