PDA

View Full Version : Pete's 53 - advice needed

lawrenceSA
05-31-2013, 02:40 AM
Hi

So I have a customer who has given me a lot of business of late. Last night he arrived at my place to drop of his VW Tiguan which I will be detailing this weekend.

He said to me 'I have a gift for you' and proceeded to hand my a jar of Chemical Guys Pete's 53..... yes, the customer gave ME the wax.....:kiss: Man I love customers like this!!!!

Anyway, so he mentioned that he had purchased the wax sometime back and landed up never using it and said that it had gone 'hard'. Now I have never owned/used a 'decent' wax like this, and so I am not sure if it being 'hard' is normal, and if not, what should I do with - can it be 'saved'?

My normal go-to LSP has always been Collinite 845, but I am very keen to give the Pete's 53 a go.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/comments/guidance etc in terms of application methods.

I did read somewhere though that it will not dry to a haze and should be buffed off immediately - is this correct?

Basically any advice you have will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rmd
05-31-2013, 08:34 AM
I use it regularly on my car. Great wax. Keep it away from dark trim, it will stain. It's a wipe on, wipe off wax, so don't let it haze. Apply to one panel and wipe off immediately. Pete's will become as hard as cement if it sits for more than 5-10 minutes, and will be brutal to remove (expect to use a finishing polish). Keep those things in mind and its a great wax.

lawrenceSA
05-31-2013, 08:35 AM
thanks for the tips - much appreciated

Shane731
05-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Quick review with pics: CG Pete's 53' - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailing-product-reviews/37906-quick-review-pics-cg-petes-53-a.html)

conthedon
06-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Use a red foam applicator apply thin (may want to spray one light spray of a quick detailer on applicator but dont have to), wipe on with applicator and wipe off with towel right away (you can wait say 30 seconds - 1 minute if you dont have proper lighting to make sure you covered every inch of panel since I feel it does haze slightly, enough to see where you applied, but again dont have to). Not much more to it, an easy wax to work with. And with paste wax avoid trim.

ScottB
06-01-2013, 09:24 AM
As with any wax .... a very thin and even coating. More will not protect longer its just much harder to remove !

lawrenceSA
06-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I detailed a car this weekend and used Pete's 53 as the final LSP

Results can be seen here http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/65661-reflex-silver-vw-tiguan-detailed-lawrence.html#post883984

All in all a very nice wax indeed!