PDA

View Full Version : Acuras paint is obnoxious to work with

Pages : [1] 2

Nate3420
05-31-2013, 01:56 AM
I have done a few corrections on multiple different Acuras and I just need to rant how tedious it is to get a perfect result out of their paint. It is nearly impossible in my eyes. Does anyone have any advice to help me with those cars specifically. No other manufacture gives me any trouble at all. All come out nearly perfect. I used M105 with a yellow pad, then Wolfgang total swirl remover with an orange pad then Wolfgang finishing glaze polish with a white pad and there still seemed to have swirls and marring. Any advice would be great

dooyaunastan
05-31-2013, 02:11 AM
105 on a yellow pad (Lake Country?) seems like overkill for Acura paint to me.
You could try WGTSR on a White and or WGFG on a black even.

How severe are the remaining swirls & marring? It could have been instilled while buffing off your leftover polish.

Sorry, no definitive answer, just fishing through potential problems and solutions.

Nate3420
05-31-2013, 02:16 AM
105 on a yellow pad (Lake Country?) seems like overkill for Acura paint to me.
You could try WGTSR on a White and or WGFG on a black even.

How severe are the remaining swirls & marring? It could have been instilled while buffing off your leftover polish.

Sorry, no definitive answer, just fishing through potential problems and solutions.

No no not from me trust me. It was in pretty bad shape. I rarely take out the m105 in the first place. I usually just use the total swirl remover. It works great. But this thing had probably been tunnel washed once a week or more for about 3 years. And I was using woobie microfibers to buff and those things don't leave any swirls. That's just how bad it was. I didn't wanna push it too much further and the customer didn't want swirls removed in the first place, he just wanted a cleansing polish but I felt the need to go to the three step process because of how bad it was

randy00013
05-31-2013, 02:32 AM
I have a Acura TL and WGTSR on orange or yellow pads works wonder!

Nate3420
05-31-2013, 08:25 AM
I have a Acura TL and WGTSR on orange or yellow pads works wonder!

Yeah it normally does! This MDX must have just been way worse than I thought at first. Turned out a heck of a lot better

JJH
05-31-2013, 10:49 AM
I have a 2007 Acura TL type-s in nighthawk black pearl. It's my baby. The first time that I ever corrected the paint on it I used the M105/205 combo with my GG 6" buffer on speed 4 for nearly all work. It came out flawless. The M205 doesn't finish down too well on soft paint, so next time around I will use my Menzerna SF4000.

I used the M105 with an orange uber foam polishing pad followed up my M205 with uber foam green polishing pad. I didn't use a cutting pad at all and my paint was in terrible condition. Acura paint is very very soft. Stressing the word very.

95oRANGEcRUSH
05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
I use 205, white pad and pc7424xp on speed 4. Finishes down perfect for me. :dunno:

JJH
05-31-2013, 11:27 AM
I use 205, white pad and pc7424xp on speed 4. Finishes down perfect for me. :dunno:

You're 20 minutes north of me :xyxthumbs:

Think I've seen a KBP on route 21 near Massillon/Canton/Jackson area a few times. Only KBP that I've seen in the area.

c8n
05-31-2013, 11:50 AM
I own an Acura and my opinion is, easy to scratch but difficult to correct if that makes any sense.

Nate3420
05-31-2013, 11:52 AM
I own an Acura and my opinion is, easy to scratch but difficult to correct if that makes any sense.

That's exactly what I was trying to get at. That's my experience with it. But my ford has super hard paint scratches very rarely and I can correct and ford or mercury to perfect. Maybe I'm just a bad detailer :(

c8n
05-31-2013, 12:03 PM
That's exactly what I was trying to get at. That's my experience with it. But my ford has super hard paint scratches very rarely and I can correct and ford or mercury to perfect. Maybe I'm just a bad detailer :(

If I may.... let me guess... swirls were easily taken out but its those annoying little scratches?

This is actually a problem I am having. Can't catch scratches with a fingernail so it can't too deep but so freakin stubborn to take out. On 1 particular scratch, hazed the crap out of the surround paint but the scratch still remains. Go figure. Almost as if the scratch is underneath the clear coat if that's possible.

I figured I will have to live with those and luckily those scratches are only a handful and barely noticeable.

Divine Details
05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
I have a black TL and for my final step I use menzerna po85rd on a blue finishing pad on a rotary. And that finishes down amazing and brings out tons of gloss.

Chad @ divine details

JJH
05-31-2013, 12:32 PM
I have the same problem ^. Especially around the door handles. Scratches that I can't feel with my fingernail so I know they are correctable, but no matter how aggressive I get they still remain.

I think we all have to remember that things like these go unnoticed by others, we're just overly anal and seek perfection.

JJH
05-31-2013, 12:33 PM
I have a black TL and for my final step I use menzerna po85rd on a blue finishing pad on a rotary. And that finishes down amazing and brings out tons of gloss.

Chad @ divine details

Quite amazing how much more the blue pearl "pops" once you've done a good polishing.

c8n
05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
I have the same problem ^. Especially around the door handles. Scratches that I can't feel with my fingernail so I know they are correctable, but no matter how aggressive I get they still remain.

I think we all have to remember that things like these go unnoticed by others, we're just overly anal and seek perfection.

Yep... at the end of the day, I drive this thing and it will get scratches here and there. It's not a show car so I am not going to maintain this as one.

But I have to admit no matter how rational and realistic I try to be mentally.... it bothers me nonetheless because I know it's there... :(