PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ultima UTTG

MarkD51
05-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Hello Folks,
Yesterday, I had gotten a bottle of Ultima UPGP, and UTTG from AG.

This evening, I decided to see what UTTG looked like on a couple of my Kia Spectra's Tires. These are brand new Hankook Optimo H727 tires, put on the car about 2 weeks ago.

As soon as I got theses tires. I treated them to a coat (in and out) of Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel. Very happy with that product, and will continue using it.

But, with UTTG, I applied it and was seeing a whole lot of black coming off on the sponge applicator, and saying to myself "this is NOT good"!

There was no such rubber bleed with the Opti-Bond, and at this point, I'm truly hoping I haven't damaged the surface faces of these new tires with the UTTG.

What's your take on this? IMO, one shouldn't be stripping rubber from brand new tires like this, should they?

I'm going to wash them tomorrow, and go back to Opti-Bond ASAP.
Mark

swanicyouth
05-30-2013, 09:46 PM
OptiBond attracted dirt. Did you scrub them clean first?

MarkD51
05-30-2013, 10:01 PM
OptiBond attracted dirt. Did you scrub them clean first?

Hi, Yes, I did wipe them down first, with a mild APC on a damp towel to remove dirt first.

I think I know the causes of such, UTTG must be solvent based, whereas Opti-Bond Gel is water based.

The black I was seeing was not dirt.

BlackHawk
05-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Hi, Yes, I did wipe them down first, with a mild APC on a damp towel to remove dirt first.

I think I know the causes of such, UTTG must be solvent based, whereas Opti-Bond Gel is water based.

The black I was seeing was not dirt.

You are going to need to do A LOT more than a wipe down to prep for UTTG. Wiping with APC on a damp towel will remove very little.

Boudin
05-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Ditto. You need to prep the tires better to remove the old Optibond and clean the tires with a strong APC or tire cleaner and a brush until you get clean Foam/rinse. I then wipe the tires down with an IPA mixture to prepare for UTTG. I have had UTTG on my pickup tires for 5 months now and all they need is a quick wipe down with UWW+ and they look new again. Truly a great product.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MarkD51
05-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Ditto. You need to prep the tires better to remove the old Optibond and clean the tires with a strong APC or tire cleaner and a brush until you get clean Foam/rinse. I then wipe the tires down with an IPA mixture to prepare for UTTG. I have had UTTG on my pickup tires for 5 months now and all they need is a quick wipe down with UWW+ and they look new again. Truly a great product.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I need to do all that on a new tire, that have been kept clean, and opti-bonded?

neat e34
05-31-2013, 02:37 AM
Yes. Chances are they are not as clean as you think...
Has the car been driven? & even though the tyres were new did you clean them before applying Optibond?

MarkD51
06-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Again, what I was seeing coming off these particular tires wasn't I believe dirt, this was the rubber being removed.

But, since then, I've tried this product on other rubber pieces like Weatherstripping, and tried a bit on hoses, and other rubber, and seen absolutely no rubber bleed.

And have used the product on black plastic trim, both auto, and non-auto uses just for kicks to see the results, and I am quite impressed with UTTG.

I thought at first when I applied UTTG on some other items, that it was oily, and would stay that way, but the product does dry very nicely, leaving behind a really nice smooth slick sheen. For sure, I'm happy with it, and will no doubt keep such a product in my bag of goodies.

As for the Kia's new Hankook Tires, I am liking the results I am getting with Optimum Opti-Bond Gel, so I reckon I'll stick with what seems to be working good. Mark

MyFirstES300
06-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Mark, I've had similar issues with various tire products that inevitably lead to browning. I threw in the towel with heavy duty tire cleaning. I stick to the basic car wash soap and a brush. I dry the tires with an old MF. Something changed with the way tires are manufactured, IDK. I just know I did something in the past that destroyed them. I would rather have a dirty tire that is black vs. a brown tire that I have to constantly keep putting dressing on to cover it up.

I did, however, buy Meg's #40 and will try it very soon, Beyond that, no more APC, or heavy duty stuff on my tires, not even dressing. I like the way my ContiPro's look at the moment :)

Dr Oldz
06-11-2013, 12:36 AM
Go buy some bleche white and clean them, then apply UTTG.