PDA

View Full Version : New car maintenance with reasonable effort

Sauce
05-30-2013, 11:45 AM
I’ve just bought a 2012 Audi S4 with 6,000 miles on it, metallic black with black trim and black interior. Although I haven’t washed it to evaluate contaminates thoroughly, it seems slick and in no need of a clay bar. I thought I saw some very very minor swirling at one point, it might just be a half-assed buffing off wax. I think the car spent most of its time in a garage with the very low miles (6k in 18 months) and overall condition. I’m trying to determine what I should do to realistically maintain the finish and appearance of the car in the limited time I will likely have since I have two kids under three and work too much.

I have a lot of experience with black cars and really want to do what I can to avoid swirls. I think I can wash once a week and spend a few hours a couple of times a year. I don’t think it’s realistic to think I can ever find the time to do a multi-day finish treatment, no matter how long it might last. I would also love something that I don’t have to mask all the trim for since this car has a bunch of rubber and plastic trim to deal with.

In 2003-7 I used Blackfire products, 303 aerospace, and sonus gell wheel cleaner on a black 2003 BMW and was pretty pleased, though I’d like something that is easier to apply and more durable. I have a 15 year old PC dual action buffer I can use and a Metro Vac 4hp dog dryer to blow dry (never tried that before). I also have a decent collection of various MF towels and applicators, but will probably start with some new ones.

What do y’all think about the following Blackfire products for my situation? Is there something else you would recommend for my situation?
Exterior:
BF Total Polish and Seal
BF Crystal Seal
BF BlackICE Montan Sealant?
BF Wet Diamond Shampoo
BF Total eclipse Tire & Wheel Cleaner

Interior/trim:
303 Aerospace protectant
Pinnacle leather conditioner/cleaner

Tools:
Gold Plush Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt
Two buckets w/ Grit Guards
Two Guzzler waffle weave drying towels 16x24
Indigo microfiber applicators
Some borderless MF towels for buffing?
BF microfiber cleaner

Thanks,

Sauce

Evan.J
05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the Geek Sauce!

Looks like you have done your home work. All your product choices are spot on with what you want to do.

Here is a good read on detailing your new car as well if you want to take a look at it:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

The Blackfire BlackIce has been getting great reviews and will be a great choice for you