PDA

View Full Version : Sun friendly wax and polish?

Pages : [1] 2

Couture
05-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Hello all...been reading the forums a couple of weeks now and decided to bite the bullet and join. Just to give you background on myself to help better answer my questions. I am just an auto enthusiast who likes to keep my cars clean. I have been using OTC products and was happy with them but I thought I could step up the quality of the I used products since the quality of my cars changed (just purchased a black 07 530i).

I am looking for wax and a polish that is sun friendly (I know to wax in the shade but just like to know if I can wax in the sun it is possible). I would like something that is easy on and easy off and little to no dust (I will be using the polishing pal wax/polish applicator and buffing with Cobra Indigo or SPD). I would also like something that is well rounded for colors (I have a white MR2, Nighthawk black pearl Honda pilot, silver G35, and Jet black 530i). Last but not least I would like something that is relatively inexpensive.

Also additional criteria for the polish. Since my cars are relatively new (except for the MR2 but did get a new paintjob couple years ago) I am clueless as to what type of polish I need. I know I don't need an aggressive one but just wondering if I need a cleaner/wax type of polish or a swirl remover type polish. I am hoping to find a product that if I do see minor blemishes that I can just use a different type pad to dictate the aggressiveness of the polish as opposed to using a more aggressive polish.

Hope this is not too tall an order.

Thanks in advance

D
05-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Id go with DP MaxWax and XMT polishes. For a car with very minor imperfections, XMT 360 works great.

Surfer
05-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Natty's Blue wax is sun friendly...I haven't had trouble with Optimum polishes in sun either.

Jay Laub
05-28-2007, 08:53 PM
clearkote.com has waxes than can be applied in direct sunlight and work very well. as for polishes, meguiars swirl remover is a fine cut and works well even by hand to take out minor scratches, i havent really had a problem with a small amount of it in the sun either.

supercharged
05-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Poorboy's SSR series polishes, Pinnacle XMT series polishes, and Optimum polishes are sun friendly. Best bang for the buck would be Optimum.

As far as waxes - Poorboy's Natty Blue (for dark and deep color), DP Max (to pop flakes) wax are very nice offerings.

wytstang
05-28-2007, 09:49 PM
clearkote.com has waxes than can be applied in direct sunlight and work very well. as for polishes, meguiars swirl remover is a fine cut and works well even by hand to take out minor scratches, i havent really had a problem with a small amount of it in the sun either.
I would go this route for your needs. With out a machine removing scrathes is going to be very difficult and very tiring(sp?). I would look into Clearkotes Red Machine Glaze (helps hide scratches) and either Clearkotes carnuaba moose wax or Nattys Blue wax. If you really want to try to remove scarcthes by hand Megs ScratchX was designed to work by hand. Good luck.

Mike T
05-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I just used XMT 360 on the front half of my car today. I couldn't believe how sun friendly it was. It was a hot afternoon.
Wolfgang and Pinnacle both are sun friendly, and both produce amazing results.

supercharged
05-28-2007, 11:12 PM
I just used XMT 360 on the front half of my car today. I couldn't believe how sun friendly it was. It was a hot afternoon.
Wolfgang and Pinnacle both are sun friendly, and both produce amazing results.
XMT 360 is on AG top 10 product list!!!!:righton: :righton: :righton:

Rsurfer
05-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Just 1 question Couture, with all those fine auto's, why not invest in a pc. The rewards and labor savings will more than pay for the machine. Just a thought.

Couture
05-29-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks everyone for all your responses. I've checked everyone's reccomendations but from what the manufacuturers claim says to apply in shade or don't apply in direct sunlight makes me worry. XMT(can this be applied by hand?) and Poorboys was the only ones that says you can use in the sun. It looks like I am leaning towards Poorboy's Professional Polish and EX-P pure sealant because of ease of use and sun friendliness. Hope it doesn't dust like others have had on other posts.

Rsurfer Just 1 question Couture, with all those fine auto's, why not invest in a pc. The rewards and labor savings will more than pay for the machine. Just a thought.

Believe me I've been ponding about it. Just haven't got the nerve to purchase one yet. Seems all too confusing with what different pads and multiple products to use and such. I only want to use minimum products maintaing my cars(5 products ie car wash, clay, polish, wax/sealant, dressings). It seems like PC owners have a barrage of products to use with their PC's.

Thanks for the replies

AUdakota
05-29-2007, 12:53 AM
its just us addicted ones that have so many products heheh

Couture
05-29-2007, 01:06 AM
its just us addicted ones that have so many products heheh

LoL

That is what I am afraid off. I am easily impressionable.:)

Rsurfer
05-29-2007, 01:15 AM
[quote=Couture]Thanks everyone for all your responses. I've checked everyone's reccomendations but from what the manufacuturers claim says to apply in shade or don't apply in direct sunlight makes me worry. XMT(can this be applied by hand?) and Poorboys was the only ones that says you can use in the sun. It looks like I am leaning towards Poorboy's Professional Polish and EX-P pure sealant because of ease of use and sun friendliness. Hope it doesn't dust like others have had on other posts.

Believe me I've been ponding about it. Just haven't got the nerve to purchase one yet. Seems all too confusing with what different pads and multiple products to use and such. I only want to use minimum products maintaing my cars(5 products ie car wash, clay, polish, wax/sealant, dressings). It seems like PC owners have a barrage of products to use with their PC's.

Don't you want to be an Auto Geek? Just kidding. You can achieve that with minimum products. We try alot of products for several reasons. I can't speak for the others, but I do it as a hobby and want to get that extra 10% of shine. If you are looking for something that will last for 3 mos. or more, there are products that AG carries that will do that. I guarantee you that the folks here at ag will give you all the help you need. Again, because of the auto's you own, you will not be disappointed in getting a pc. Small investment for the rewards and self satisfaction. Good Luck on your decision.

tod071
05-29-2007, 02:28 AM
Although its not a wax or polish, Zaino products can be applied by hand in the sun. You could probably use the AIO or ZPC to clean up minor defects, then seal with Z5Pro.

I've used Zaino products for years before I took the plunge, bought a pc, and never looked back. Zaino products are very easy to use, thin, back&forth application, and does not stain trim.

ScottB
05-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Poorboys is great offering for sun friendly polishing. Most sealants are bugged to much by sun and heat, its the polish and cleaning lotions that seem to get harder to remove. XMT worked fine in Floridas heat and humidity where it was designed. That said, I would always choose outside of direct sunlight whenever possible.