PDA

View Full Version : Help with new Nissan pathfinder.

Pages : [1] 2

Sharks1212
05-30-2013, 05:52 AM
So just picked up a new car and now the new hobby starts. It is a 2013 nissan pathfinder in moonlight pearl white. I do have some experience in detailing from doing auto body work when I was younger. So far I have meguiars stuff that I have picked up locally.

*Gold class wash
*Hot rims cleaner
*Hot shine tire aerosol
*interior cleaner
*supreme shine protectent
*stoner invisible glass
*brushes and microfiber towels

I'm looking to purchase some stuff soon to finish out what I need. I have spent probably the better part of the past month researching and now feel pretty confident. As of right now my car has no protection and I have had it 3 weeks now. I plan on doing it all myself which brings me here.

I live in central California which has big agriculture. That means heat, bugs, and lots of dust. I also travel to the beach often which means sand and salt. I need to achieve a durable static free layer of protection. What that leads me to believe is that I need either a paint sealant or a hard wax. Though I would love it to really shine that is not the most important thing to me. The most important are ease and durability since I will be doing it by hand for now. I know some like layering while others think it is unnecessary. Does anyone have any advice for my situation?

Evan.J
05-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Here is a great article on how to detail your new car!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

Sharks1212
05-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks there is a lot of good info in that thread. My paint is really clean and I have washed it weekly since getting it. So I think I'll just wash, dry, paint cleanser, paint sealer, and then do a detail spray. Doesn't seem to need clay from my prior inspection. I was just wondering if anyone knew what would work best in my conditions? Thanks again

Evan.J
05-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks there is a lot of good info in that thread. My paint is really clean and I have washed it weekly since getting it. So I think I'll just wash, dry, paint cleanser, paint sealer, and then do a detail spray. Doesn't seem to need clay from my prior inspection. I was just wondering if anyone knew what would work best in my conditions? Thanks again

Thats sounds like a good plan. I see you have the consumer stuff available to you so you could get something like Megs Ultimate wax for your protection.

Just be aware that Microfiber towels for any local auto store aren't the best options for paint work. They might have the chance to scratch or mare your paint causing more harm than good.

If you want to go in the way of ordering things I would be more than happy to help you out!

Sharks1212
05-30-2013, 08:12 AM
Thanks in my op I mentioned I was on the verge of ordering. Just picked up consumer stuff for now. I was looking at the Wolfgang line and the detailers sealent. Detailers describes itself as static free which is appealing. I have read that it can be hard to remove. Being that I am doing this by hand that kinda turns me off. Everyone seems to love the Wolfgang stuff and it seems like what I'm looking for. So I am leaning towards that atm just haven't ordered yet. Was thinking Wolfgang bathe, cleanser, sealent, and fk425.

Evan.J
05-30-2013, 08:22 AM
Wolfgang is an excellent line and you should have no problem with any of those. Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0 is a great sealant for protection that has a protection life of 4-6 months.

Do you have a good Microfiber wash mitt and the grit guards for your buckets?

Sharks1212
05-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Was looking to purchase some grit guards as well. Picked up towels from wally world for now. I know that they can't be all that good. The concours kit on ag has towels and applicators. I should probably throw in a mit and towel pack on my order.

Evan.J
05-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Was looking to purchase some grit guards as well. Picked up towels from wally world for now. I know that they can't be all that good. The concours kit on ag has towels and applicators. I should probably throw in a mit and towel pack on my order.

Grit guards are one of the must have items when washing your car.

A good wash mitt towel combo like this is good

Gold Plush Microfiber Kit, Microfiber wash mitt, microfiber towels (http://www.autogeek.net/gold-wash-mitt-towels-kit.html)

c8n
05-30-2013, 09:36 AM
I have been pretty impressed with DGS.
Looks very nice with some depth and gloss on my black car.

Had some bugs on my bumper this past weekend and the car had been sitting in the sun for about 7-8hrs before I was able to get to it but those suckers just blew off like nothing. Little residue that was left just wiped off easily with some QD and MF towel.

Sharks1212
05-31-2013, 08:27 AM
After much thought I'm going to go with the detailers paint protection pack. Also going to try out glossworkz chemical guys shampoo. Was going to get fk425 but instead going to pick up opti clean. I'll use OOC for keeping the car clean in between washes. The 6 pack of orange microfiber towels looks like a good deal. Really want to try Wolfgang but maybe once I have more stuff built up. The pack comes with poli seal, #845, towel, and applicators. Going to go ahead and order this stuff today.

Evan.J
05-31-2013, 08:54 AM
After much thought I'm going to go with the detailers paint protection pack. Also going to try out glossworkz chemical guys shampoo. Was going to get fk425 but instead going to pick up opti clean. I'll use OOC for keeping the car clean in between washes. The 6 pack of orange microfiber towels looks like a good deal. Really want to try Wolfgang but maybe once I have more stuff built up. The pack comes with poli seal, #845, towel, and applicators. Going to go ahead and order this stuff today.

Looking forward to seeing your results! Best of luck to you ad have fun!:dblthumb2:

c8n
05-31-2013, 09:25 AM

If you are ordering from AG and it is over $50? you can request some free Wolfgang samples to try out as well as other brands.

Free Sample with your Order (http://www.autogeek.net/free-samples.html)

PA DETAILER
05-31-2013, 09:30 AM
off topic: how do you like the pathfinder so far?

Sharks1212
05-31-2013, 11:45 AM
It is great I don't really have any complaints. Tried it against the Honda pilot but this won. Only thing the pilot had on it was more room and a little bit better tech. The pathfinder handles better, brakes better, and has better power. Test driving on the freeway is what sold me. This thing owns the road when you need it to. There is no shift shock at all so you press the gas and it immediately takes off.

Sharks1212
06-01-2013, 05:02 AM
So everything is on it's way as of now. I'll update with some before and afters soon. I can see how this becomes addicting so easily.