PDA

View Full Version : White car in the tropics

Yan
05-30-2013, 02:45 AM
I believe that members have already asked about detailing white cars on a few occasions.
I have the same question with a twist; I'm in south east asia, it's realy hot, I have no garage and it rains 1 out of every 3 days.

I have been washing my car in the morning then going on to wax and polish in the late evening or at night. I have a bank of 4 fluorescent lights so i can see quite well.

My issues are:
1). is it ok to leave the clean car parked for the day then wax at night after dusting the car?

2). after about 11pm there is some dew formation on especially humid days. Will this affect waxing and polishing?

3). I have read about cure times of several days on some products. So if my car is parked outside should I avoid any product that requires curing?

4). Due to the high humidity, heat and rain should I apply some form of protection over the wax?

Sorry if these come off as dumb questions but I am a beginner at detailing and forums as well, so If I' ve posted wrong or something, just let me know.

Yan

Yan
05-30-2013, 04:21 AM
I read this in one of the forums:

Re: New WHITE car....Which wax?
I loved Natty's Blue on my white truck, seemed to give the white a darker/deeper appearance (like the color took on a warmer tone). Duragloss 105 topped with AW is another great combo that will bling white paint. Out of your choices, really any of them, their all good.

It makes sense in a tricky kind of way. If I use natty's blue (which is for dark cars i believe) will it mess up my white paint?

If not, "layering" the white paint with a wax that has a "tint??" would give more perceived depth right??

Again, I'm new at this so if it's a stupid question please let me know.

Yan.

mwoolfso
05-30-2013, 08:11 AM
I believe that members have already asked about detailing white cars on a few occasions.
I have the same question with a twist; I'm in south east asia, it's realy hot, I have no garage and it rains 1 out of every 3 days.

I have been washing my car in the morning then going on to wax and polish in the late evening or at night. I have a bank of 4 fluorescent lights so i can see quite well.

My issues are:
1). is it ok to leave the clean car parked for the day then wax at night after dusting the car? Assuming you already have a protection layer on the vehicle already this is fine.

2). after about 11pm there is some dew formation on especially humid days. Will this affect waxing and polishing? No affect on polishing. Some waxes that have synthetic properties may need some extended time to cure. If you use one of those products then the dew would affect the curing process; most likely affecting durability. Many OTC synthetics don't have much need for curing so that would be OK in the dew. Natural carnauba waxes do not need any cure time; for example Collinite 915, P21S, etc....

3). I have read about cure times of several days on some products. So if my car is parked outside should I avoid any product that requires curing? The most cure time I have seen is 8-12 hours (e.g. BFWD, WGDGPS, etc...). If the weather in your area is always humid and you cannot keep the water-based elements away from the paint surface for most of the cure time period, then you should probably look at other products.

4). Due to the high humidity, heat and rain should I apply some form of protection over the wax? Consider a spray wax that you apply after every wash ---OR--- consider Optimum Car Wax (OCW). OCW is a wax in spray form; with durability that matches of rivals a paste/liquid wax. It is quick and easy to apply; you just need to apply it in the shade because it flashes within 10 seconds when you attempt to apply it in direct sunlight. In my area I get 4-5 months of durability with just 1 coat of OCW.

It makes sense in a tricky kind of way. If I use natty's blue (which is for dark cars i believe) will it mess up my white paint? Not at all. Multiple layers of Natty's blue may or may not introduce a slight tinting effect on the paint. Some people would use a colored wax to create this effect on purpose. Here is an article that may be good to establish a basis of understanding on this point.

DODO JUICE FORUMS • View topic - Colour Charging 2... no hype, no BS, just the TEST RESULTS (http://dodojuice.com/juicebar/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2011)

If not, "layering" the white paint with a wax that has a "tint??" would give more perceived depth right?? Possibly, every person is different. Some may see a difference and others will not. Look to please yourself first; everyone else will follow suit.

Sorry if these come off as dumb questions but I am a beginner at detailing and forums as well, so If I' ve posted wrong or something, just let me know.

Yan

No questions are stupid; unless you have asked them more than once. :-)

Yan
05-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice. I appreciate the pointer to the color changing thread.

Yan.

Yan
05-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Ok, If I use OCW for durability and a colored wax for "effect" how should I apply said products?

Polish, colored wax, OCW...or... polish, OCW, colored wax.

Im thinking of using natty's blue for the colored part, but im open to suggestions.

Thanks again.

mwoolfso
05-30-2013, 07:35 PM
OCW would be the last step after "x" layers of Natty's.

Yan
05-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Ok, got it.
Thanks.