PDA

View Full Version : Having issues with MF Pads with Rupes

Pages : [1] 2

VP Mark
05-29-2013, 07:39 AM
I recently started using the Rupes ES15. The machine is a complete beast compared to the PC I was using years prior. I'm getting great correction out of foam pads but it seems with microfiber I just can't seem to get enough rotation out of the machine. It seems like the MF pads "lag" compared to the foam.

Here is my priming, polishing, cleaning routine (examples thereof actually)

This is using a 5 inch Optimum Microfiber Cutting Pad (I also have some 6 inch but the problem seems even worse with them)

Priming (using D300 as an example):

X on the pad, spread product evenly. Expel with compressed air. 4 Dime size dots. Work the polish.

While polishing:

Do a normal section pass. At this point I'm putting NO pressure on the pad at all. My left hand is basically only holding the polisher and keeping the pad flat. Any pressure makes the pad spin extremely slowly or not at all.

Cleaning: Expel with compressed air, occasionally "refluff" with a nylon brush.

Questions:

It seems like my technique is spot on. I've done this same routine with literally hundreds of cars using my PCXP. Why so little power with the MF's with the Rupes?

Should I consider the washer mod? It seems like it would give the Rupes much more "Umph"

Should I stop applying any pressure? I know the Rupes does not need much pressure because of the stroke, but I generally work on very swirled vehicles and wan't to show as much correction as possible. I do a lot of one steps and can't spend all day waiting for the pad to correct with no pressure.

Thanks for the pro advice! :xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
05-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Without the Kevin Brown Washer Mod, the Rupes will UNDER-PERFORM with MF pads. Do the KB washer mod and it's like night and day!

FUNX650
05-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Since I do not own any RUPES polishers...I'd rather not speculate.
Instead...
I'd say contacting the below AGO forum member,
should yield very helpful insight to your issues.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/kevin-brown.html

:)

Bob

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-29-2013, 08:57 AM
I have the 15 and I use Buff n Shine microfiber pads with no issues whatsoever. I do NOT have the KB mod installed, although I do have the washer. I don't apply a tremendous amount of pressure, but the MF pads do seem to slightly bog it down. However, I have noticed no drop in correcting ability. BTW, I am using all Menzerna polishes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

WRAPT C5Z06
05-29-2013, 09:29 AM
I have the 15 and I use Buff n Shine microfiber pads with no issues whatsoever. I do NOT have the KB mod installed, although I do have the washer. I don't apply a tremendous amount of pressure, but the MF pads do seem to slightly bog it down. However, I have noticed no drop in correcting ability. BTW, I am using all Menzerna polishes.

You're really missing out by not installing the washer. You're losing about 40-50% rotation.

Zelfiris
05-29-2013, 11:15 AM

I have the same setup. Rupes 15ES + BnS Mf Pads.

Do you happen to have the black pads by BnS and used it with your Rupes? I'm getting constant smudge marks left behind (but this is black pad with sonax)

zmcgovern45
05-29-2013, 11:40 AM
I have the LHR21ES and use the Meg's MF Pads regularly without the washer mod. I have never experienced what you are talking about. Seems to work just fine, and I have been seeing great results.

Evan.J
05-29-2013, 12:05 PM
I have to agree you will need the washer mod Mark. The washer allows just enough space for the backing pad not to hit and allows the pad to keeps spinning.

Mastercraft241
05-29-2013, 12:17 PM
I have to agree you will need the washer mod Mark. The washer allows just enough space for the backing pad not to hit and allows the pad to keeps spinning.
Isnt the whole idea of the rupes to not put pressure and therefore you wouldn't hit the backing plate? I thought the purpose of the large throw would be to take strain off the operator of applying too much pressure to the machine, hence if you apply pressure you hit the backing plate.

VP Mark
05-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Isnt the whole idea of the rupes to not put pressure and therefore you wouldn't hit the backing plate? I thought the purpose of the large throw would be to take strain off the operator of applying too much pressure to the machine, hence if you apply pressure you hit the backing plate.

I don't think you will hit the plate if you apply pressure. The washer spaces it so that will not happen. The problem I'm having is that there is not enough rotation and pressure to correct quickly with MF, which I'm hoping to remedy.

I just bought the washer from napa and I'm about to go grind on it a bit with my dremel. Update in a bit!

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-29-2013, 12:31 PM
I have the same setup. Rupes 15ES + BnS Mf Pads.

Do you happen to have the black pads by BnS and used it with your Rupes? I'm getting constant smudge marks left behind (but this is black pad with sonax)

Yeah... I have both the black & orange pads. I don't seem to be getting any smudges... Although I must admit I have been only using them for a short time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Evan.J
05-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Yes you are correct that is what the Rupes is about. However, the Rupes has a backing plate that has an into-spin feature. This feature slows the backing plate with friction.

This is from Kevin Brown:

This feature does have a very useful purpose, which is to slow excessive backing plate rotation in situations where the pad is not under load while the machine is running (either the pad has minimal or no contact with the polishing surface or there is very little friction between the polishing surface and buffing pad). This is done to prevent erratic interaction between the pad and paint surface and to eliminate the chance that the pad will inadvertently scour the surface.

By simply placing a spacer between the backing plate and the machine's backing plate mounting pad, the anti-spin feature is disengaged. The machine will then deliver increased backing plate rotation, which may help to increase cutting speed and deliver improved polishing results.

Hope that explained it enough if not I can direct you to the entire article for you to read.

Long story short with the increase in speed and little to no pressure without the mod the backing plate with hit off the shroud of the machine thus stop the spinning. With the washer mod this allows enough space between the backing plate and the shroud to not have them hit and thus keeping the pad spinning.

VP Mark
05-29-2013, 12:41 PM
I just did the mod. Took a standard washer that fit nicely in the BP, ground the sides flat with a dremmel, reinstalled the BP. I can now feel a tiny (and I mean TINY) bit of "give" in the backing plate where the washer was installed, but the backing plate now rotates freely. Turned it on and my gosh. This has doubled the rotation speed with no load. Anxious to try it out on a vehicle.

Thanks to all the advice on this thread. I'm doing a one step on an Acadia tomorrow and will give an update on how it performs. Will be sure to use a MF pad also.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Not that u don't know, but KB told me, especially with this mod, to always have the polisher fully loaded on the paint before turning it on. This keeps the rotation balanced.

Rsurfer
05-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Not that u don't know, but KB told me, especially with this mod, to always have the polisher fully loaded on the paint before turning it on. This keeps the rotation balanced.

That is why Rupes is not fond of the washer mod (safety).